Winter evening bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ All the above
I have Mobil 1 grease, but any will do. No need to get fancy. I did get bearing oil which is super thin and that is recommended.
Yes, remove the seal and clean them. I collect the bad ones over the season and only do one cleaning session. If they remain gritty, they go in the bin.
If you damage or loose a seal, just throw the bearing away or keep the other seal as a backup.

Do net get fancy 'bearing blasters' or similar, it's a waste of money. Yes they work but cheaper to get replacement bearings by the time you blow cleaner through them, it's not worth it. How do I know? I can sell you one ;)

Yeah you have to remove the seals. You cant clean them or lube them otherwise. It is a waste of time to not remove seals. Shielded BB's you just treat as is. But they are not truly "sealed". Just appear that they are. If you bend a seal, just flaten it out well befor installing them. They are delicate.
Using all SL products for 20+ years. Oil, Grease, Silcone grease ( o-rings), Dielectric grease etc. Headquarters in L.I. near me. I just order from The Home Depot and pick up when they call me. It gets drop shipped from the SL WH to HD. Free delivery this way. 3 days or so.
I'm happy with it. Tried many others. Still experiment with different ones. I am sure there are other good greases and oil out there.
I like Lucas Marine grease also. Thicker and WP. (my Crawlers) Mobil 1 Synth. (Red) I have here.
I’ve been removing one seal but will remove both from now on. That makes more sense then just removing one side.
Yeah I love super lube since I started using it a month back. Began with the little tube and liked it so much I just got the big ass one. Got super lube for life now 🤣 Thanks again!

Yeah I buy the Tub of it. I use it for my Bicycle bearings. Cycling is my other hobby. Building them etc.

Thank you for this! Means I’ve over greased my tbr bearings after pulling seals and cleaning in the jewelry cleaner thing 😂 time to try again. Live f…up and learn. Yup.

Like the others said this is all good....I am learning as well.... I am soaking up info always here as well...

Bashers I do like the grease because it is a basher "for myself" I find oil dries out too fast but the grease leaves me with more function compared to how I bash 4x4 BLX rigs.

My Infraction I am not so concerned with grease bearings unless they are new bearings they are greased already as new and but if I am cleaning and reusing I will oil them only for this rig and not apply grease.

Yeah I buy the Tub of it. I use it for my Bicycle bearings. Cycling is my other hobby. Building them etc.
Dang…I miss cycling. Just sold my 2008 Stumpjumper $700 and my track bike for $310. Only bike I kept is my ‘99 Stumpjumper. Got too much history with it to let it go. It bummed me out to sell them but when I get a typhon, or whatever I decide on, tomorrow I’ll feel better.

3226F59C-110A-4F45-8F88-7AEE67BE3D0A.jpeg

82C21F7A-82BC-41ED-84A7-3D04D56C3005.jpeg

I purchased that same Protek grease in the smaller syringe version. I only use that for building my Shocks. For the O-rings at the Diffs also. Probably best for this application.
That tub is so expensive! for only 4 oz. The syringe cost much also. :( RC Boutique lubes cost so much $$. Just repackaged lubes. I imagine it is Silicone based because it is O-ring friendly. It is thin and probably works well enough in bearings. I think there is better out there for the gears and BB's. Many do use this though as an all around grease. Nothing wrong with it I imagine. I don't know how well it would hold up to high temps. I def would not use it on my Motor bearings though. Just my spin.
If you want to try another brand , try Super Lube.:cool:

I’ve heard amazing things about ceramic bearings, but the price? OUCH! You could replace every bearing in the truck with the steel old-school Fast Eddy’s three times a year for the price of one set of ceramics. If I ever jump on a road-only speed run car I might try them, but I sure ain’t bashing with a set of $80.00 bearings.

With motor BB's I have tried Ceramics. In my Lim. (HW), Infr. (stocker) and my Tekno MT (HW) Motors. Ceramic handles high temps better. Not tragically much more money for just 2 Ceramic Motor BB's.
Maybe it creates a bit less load with the motor also. IDK. Maybe splitting hairs on this.

I realize this is an old thread, I just bought their (Winter Evening) wheel bearing kit (8 pieces inside and outside) due to a blown bearing on my left front. They are nice Double bagged one sealed and ziplock style closure w/name on it (also looked foil backed backing side) and one standard ziplock bag. paid 9.99+ tax (same price as Ebay BTW) and free shipping (prime) ordered Thursday and came in today they feel solid we'll see when they go in. If these run good i'll but a complete set for my truck (Big Rock)

For those talking about the expensive bearings, here is my philosophy. They are like canned veggies, the difference between the name brand and anything else is the label they have. Yes they might have special orders (oils or greases), but a place like Boca or Avid make their money off the name not the bearing. bearings are bearings so only the name matters the difference is in how you care for them

Have to disagree a little. I took the Eddie etc route, and they are ok, leaps and bounds better than stock from back in the day (~2 years ago).
I did have lots of issues with the bearing shields coming off and them getting dirty quick. Swapped over to the yellow sealed (1 sided) Avid version for the wheels and those issues have gone. Keep the yellow seal on the 'dirt' side, and they will work a lot better, imho.
I only had that issue on the wheel bearings, everything else worked just fine. Definitely a good starting point and if something is still bad try a different route. I prefer buying more of the same size of the frequent offenders and don't buy full sets any longer, cheaper as well.

I don't think that bearings and canned vegetables are really a fitting analogy here. While canned vegetables may have tolerances of sorts, I don't think those tolerances are even in the same galaxy as those for machined parts. While I agree with the general sentiment that care and maintenance will determine a lot of what you get out of them, the axiom of "you get what you pay for" does still apply in large parts (though there is, as always, a plateau of diminishing returns).

Have to disagree a little. I took the Eddie etc route, and they are ok, leaps and bounds better than stock from back in the day (~2 years ago).
I did have lots of issues with the bearing shields coming off and them getting dirty quick. Swapped over to the yellow sealed (1 sided) Avid version for the wheels and those issues have gone. Keep the yellow seal on the 'dirt' side, and they will work a lot better, imho.
I only had that issue on the wheel bearings, everything else worked just fine. Definitely a good starting point and if something is still bad try a different route. I prefer buying more of the same size of the frequent offenders and don't buy full sets any longer, cheaper as well.
I do plan on buying their 10 packs of the hub bearings as well, since they will be more likely to be destroyed more quickly. just needed the set right now
I don't think that bearings and canned vegetables are really a fitting analogy here. While canned vegetables may have tolerances of sorts, I don't think those tolerances are even in the same galaxy as those for machined parts. While I agree with the general sentiment that care and maintenance will determine a lot of what you get out of them, the axiom of "you get what you pay for" does still apply in large parts (though there is, as always, a plateau of diminishing returns).
The reason I went with the canned veggies, is that other than the wrapper you can't tell the difference. Honestly with bearings (especially small bearings like these) I can't tell the difference either. yeah Avid or Bocca might use a special grease or oil, but Are they really going to spend twice the standard for a bearing that honestly NOBODY will ever be able to tell the difference?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back