Winter storage of lipo batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukas412

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a beaten subject, but I'm pretty new to these batteries. This will be my first winter of dealing with lipos and I just picked up a bunch on sale. I generally keep my batteries outside in an ammo box, but the weather has been warm. Now I'm wondering what I should do over winter. Is it ok to let them freeze? Should I risk storing them in my basement? I don't really have a great place that is free of flammables.

thanks!

I apologize if this is a beaten subject, but I'm pretty new to these batteries. This will be my first winter of dealing with lipos and I just picked up a bunch on sale. I generally keep my batteries outside in an ammo box, but the weather has been warm. Now I'm wondering what I should do over winter. Is it ok to let them freeze? Should I risk storing them in my basement? I don't really have a great place that is free of flammables.

thanks!

It gives you the temp range in the sheet that comes with the battery..40-120 degrees I think for most, so no do not let them freeze. I personally bought 3 Bat safes and alot of peace of mind with it. Some say it's expensive, I say my house is worth the $180 investment.

Ive let my batteries sit in a garage at -40c for the winter for several years in storage mode and have never had an issue balancing one of them. I refuse to keep them in my house regardless of what i put them in.
EDIT... Also, Order any battery from china in january and its shipping here in the freezing cold the entire trip. Its not like they come in heated sea cans.

Last edited:
You might get away with using a heated plant mat under or wrapped around an ammo box to keep them warm in a garage. I used these under my dogs bed and it's just warm enough lol

Screenshot_20201016-122108_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ammo can - attached semi heated garage does not get below 40 ish except when the door opens and closes. seems to work.
Wish my garage stayed that warm. I have an attached garage and it might stay 10F warmer than outside.
Ive let my batteries sit in a garage at -40c for the winter for several years in storage mode and have never had an issue balancing one of them. I refuse to keep them in my house regardless of what i put them in.
EDIT... Also, Order any battery from china in january and its shipping here in the freezing cold the entire trip. Its not like they come in heated sea cans.
Good point about the shipping temps ??
You might get away with using a heated plant mat under or wrapped around an ammo box to keep them warm in a garage. I used these under my dogs bed and it's just warm enough lol

View attachment 104835
That’s a great idea too. I just might grab one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back