Winter Temps Destroying Parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRoyer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Don't let the title mislead you: Some of the wreckage is my fault. I'm new to the hobby. Its also been 32 or below when I've used the car.

However, at this point, I think I'm going to put the Kraton away. Today I broke my rear diff housing (AR310427) AGAIN along with the composite hinge pin retainer (AR330379) AGAIN and I just broke it 5 days ago. I've spent at least 10-15x the amount of time working on the car than I have actually used it. It just keeps breaking. The second run ever was the chassis brace in the rear that brought the diff housing with it. I knew the brace wasn't any good so I was fine with that.

Then the hinge pin retainer breaks. Slightly annoying but whatever. I had a new set in 2 days. But now today I jumped it 3 total times. Nothing crazy. Not even high. Ran it for less than 2 minutes and now the retainer AND the diff housing broke. I'm about to give up on the car in general. Somebody please tell me I'm not wasting my time and money on this Kraton. I don't think I've even put 3 packs through it.

Don't let the title mislead you: Some of the wreckage is my fault. I'm new to the hobby. Its also been 32 or below when I've used the car.

However, at this point, I think I'm going to put the Kraton away. Today I broke my rear diff housing (AR310427) AGAIN along with the composite hinge pin retainer (AR330379) AGAIN and I just broke it 5 days ago. I've spent at least 10-15x the amount of time working on the car than I have actually used it. It just keeps breaking. The second run ever was the chassis brace in the rear that brought the diff housing with it. I knew the brace wasn't any good so I was fine with that.

Then the hinge pin retainer breaks. Slightly annoying but whatever. I had a new set in 2 days. But now today I jumped it 3 total times. Nothing crazy. Not even high. Ran it for less than 2 minutes and now the retainer AND the diff housing broke. I'm about to give up on the car in general. Somebody please tell me I'm not wasting my time and money on this Kraton. I don't think I've even put 3 packs through it.

don't worry brother, im in nj... same temps basically and i have ruined all of my trucks like 5 dif times this winter... lol

It was 28 degrees when I shot this. I do have a lot of aluminum parts though, lol ?
I will say it was warmer than that today here and your first couple jumps from the driveway were very similar to what broke mine today. Might have just been a fluke.

I will say it was warmer than that today here and your first couple jumps from the driveway were very similar to what broke mine today. Might have just been a fluke.

the arm mount and diff housings break often... switching to a voltage hobbies front arm mount will help

It’s easier to list what’s NOT been upgraded on my Kraton: Diff housing/bulkhead, diff cover, diff cups, wing mount, that covers it, lol.

the arm mount and diff housings break often... switching to a voltage hobbies front arm mount will help
When I broke the composite arm mount the first time I considered switching to an aluminum one but I had concerns with shifting the weak spot back to the diff housing or to the arms themselves, which is more expensive and more of a pain. But now they're both broken so I might just get aluminum everything and be done with it lol.

When I broke the composite arm mount the first time I considered switching to an aluminum one but I had concerns with shifting the weak spot back to the diff housing or to the arms themselves, which is more expensive and more of a pain. But now they're both broken so I might just get aluminum everything and be done with it lol.
I have all the Voltage Hobbies mounts on my Kraton. Well worth it.

its a crap shoot... some aluminum upgrades do more damage... i put aluminum upper arms on my notorious and i swear i started breaking everything on it... The plastic arms have some give so they break instead of other stuff... But the arm mount is a good upgrade. just be careful how much aluminum you put on because it will get heavy quick and jump like a box of rocks... Then it sucks...

Just got an ARRMA Typhon 6S yesterday and on the first run I completely busted the gearbox case and the suspension mount. Basically rebuilding the entire front suspension and gearing systems. Taking the opportunity to upgrade where I can. The damage likely resulted from my amateur driving skills but also direct hits with trees and other solid objects at 30+ MPH. No complaints given that I am so new to the hobby and that the impacts are so hard, but no matter what, that the Typhon is so incredible awesome. In the meantime, while I'm fixing and upgrading the Typhon, I think I'm going to get a Traxxas Slash Ultimate, just to bide my time. Hopefully the Typhon will be back online in short order, better and stronger than ever.

Just got an ARRMA Typhon 6S yesterday and on the first run I completely busted the gearbox case and the suspension mount. Basically rebuilding the entire front suspension and gearing systems. Taking the opportunity to upgrade where I can. The damage likely resulted from my amateur driving skills but also direct hits with trees and other solid objects at 30+ MPH. No complaints given that I am so new to the hobby and that the impacts are so hard, but no matter what, that the Typhon is so incredible awesome. In the meantime, while I'm fixing and upgrading the Typhon, I think I'm going to get a Traxxas Slash Ultimate, just to bide my time. Hopefully the Typhon will be back online in short order, better and stronger than ever.
Don’t do it no Traxxas you will spend a lot more money. Maybe the new rustler 4x4 that’s it

Why not get yourself one of the 3s Arrma's? Likely cheaper than the Slash, and the Ultimate is so bare bones, it wouldn't hold up nearly as well. Plus, isn't the Ultimate Brushed? Seems steep for what you get. Jmo

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back