Wire Management Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgehead44

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey All,

I'm an RC noob with a Granite BLX. I wanted to see what the more experienced hobbyists thought about wire management. I have added a Hobbywing ESC/Motor combo, which includes an off/on switch which is not attached to the chassis. The button hangs free from a length of wire, which I need to find a way to secure. This combo also includes another connection from ESC to motor (I believe for overheat protection). I have also added a motor fan. On top of all this I just ordered a light kit. So, it's about to be a packed house in there. Currently I have most of the wire length packed into the receiver case, with a couple inches protruding and run to the respective component. This might get kind of messy once I add the light kit to all the connections I already have going.

I have seen some wire management tutorials ranging from zip ties to cable threading, sleeves, and braiding. Does anybody have strong thoughts on any of these, or other techniques to manage the wires and cables in the limited space on a smaller rig? Thank you so much in advance for any advice you lend!

How good are you at soldering? I sometimes cut and shorten my leads as needed. (LIGHTING and servo leads) Not always though. Its ok to stuff(neatly) the wires in the Rx box( shrink wrap keeps them neat in there also) But at some point you don't want to smash that RX also. Be mindful of the antenna wire if there is one. And it shouldn't be near the ESC battery leads. Wire braiding requires you to desolder if connectors are in place on the ESC leads. On your Granite watch the leads near the motor and driveshaft. Coil the switch wire in a hex wrench and use two sided tape to place somewhere. If your ESC uses a slide switch instead of a push button switch, make sure you position the slide switch where the "ON" position is pointed forward. So when you take frontal impacts the rig doesn't shut off form the shock of the impact. Braiding can make wires harder to manage at times. Small black Wire ties are your friend and you can be creative with them. Wire management can take time. Its all about planning. The results are worth the effort IMHO.

20201202_010011.jpg

20201202_005902.jpg

Last edited:
Where do u find the braided wire wrap in those colors!?! Links plz!
How do u heat shrink the rubber w out melting the braided wrap!?! Lol. Nice n clean. I’d like to do the same. I tuck and run my wires nice and clean. Hidden whenever possible.
FEFCF027-EA53-4D72-BB1E-11EAA93D90A5.jpeg
1EB9B79D-0773-420F-A308-191A5B3DA34B.jpeg
D778425A-CFD2-40D0-BF8C-399750C081F6.jpeg

Where can I get these!?
2F999BF0-37A5-4688-AAC3-8CC56FB10CE5.png

Last edited:
Amazon.com: 25ft - 1/4 inch PET Expandable Braided Sleeving – Blackred – Alex Tech braided cable sleeve: Home Improvement.

There is a learning curve to wire braiding leads. The cut ends need to be cinged with a flame(lighter) for a quick second so the braid doesn't fall apart as you expand and slide it onto the wire. Look for videos on this. Then learn by doing. It will help you not to waste some in the beginning. Get heat shrink obviously. Colored is nice. You get the drift. When the braiding expands to the size of the leads it shortens a bit so measure appropriately. Theres all types of colors and smaller diameters. 1/4" does most though. I use 1/8" braid for lighting wires (22 guage wires) sometimes.
This is my Kraton. Its a mess!! And dirty from a recent bash. Don't mind it. Wiring wise needs some help.. But the stock ESC came out nice, when I changed over to my XT90's, I had the chance to braid it.

20201202_014703.jpg

Last edited:
Hey All,

I'm an RC noob with a Granite BLX. I wanted to see what the more experienced hobbyists thought about wire management. I have added a Hobbywing ESC/Motor combo, which includes an off/on switch which is not attached to the chassis. The button hangs free from a length of wire, which I need to find a way to secure. This combo also includes another connection from ESC to motor (I believe for overheat protection). I have also added a motor fan. On top of all this I just ordered a light kit. So, it's about to be a packed house in there. Currently I have most of the wire length packed into the receiver case, with a couple inches protruding and run to the respective component. This might get kind of messy once I add the light kit to all the connections I already have going.

I have seen some wire management tutorials ranging from zip ties to cable threading, sleeves, and braiding. Does anybody have strong thoughts on any of these, or other techniques to manage the wires and cables in the limited space on a smaller rig? Thank you so much in advance for any advice you lend!
Some 3M double sided tape will be great for the new ESC switch (make sure you clean the preferably horizontal surface you mount it on with grime/alcohol wipes)

For the light kit wires - you can cut/shorten the silicone wires (usually 22AWG size) they come with and use connectors (I recommend JST-SYP) to quickly disconnect them every time you take the body off for ease of use. I did this with my Felony light kit:

PXL_20201115_123144130-01.jpeg

You'll need the Engineer PA-09 OR the IWS-2820M. These are accurate crimping tools and will crimp the pins of plenty connectors you'll find in this hobby, including these JST-SYP ones. And you'll need hobby wire strippers too

If you ever wanted to learn how to crimp and cut wires/install connectors/fix lipo balance leads, etc., before you cut any wires, I would practise crimping spare wires first and watch YT vids on how to do it. Not sure if all this helps but there you go ?

Some say braiding is overkill. Perhaps.... But I have severed wires in the past from crash carnage. Fire is a worst case potential. A big $$ loss. Had ESC fires before. Not anymore... knock on wood. And yeah it looks serious and trick. Makes it less Toy looking. Takes your rig to the next level. It even looks faster.:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for everyone's insight! I'll definitely look into crimping and braiding. I'll be sure to get plenty of practice on scrap wire before I try to do anything to my rig.

Back