Wiring a fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreightTrain03

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So Im upgrading my motor to a hobbystar 4082 1600kv motor, I want to install the yeah racing tornado fans on the motor as well. Im concerned that that the motor combined with the fan will draw to many amps as the motor is already close to the limit the esc can handle

The motor draws 130 the esc allows 150 and the fans are 5 each, plus whatever the esc fan is using, id guess around 5.

Im new to the electrical aspect of rc cars this is my first real electronics upgrade, but the research I just did tells me this setup is a bad idea without another bec.

Yea you should just run it the way it is till you want to upgrade your esc then step up to something with an adjustable internal bec. Or get a external one. That fan isn't going to hurt you to much.

P.s. I can't believe you don't have a bec for your nice servo anyway. You spent 80 bucks on an awesome servo. But then again i think max volts is 6 on the 1210 so i guess it doesn't need the extra power but the steady 6volts is nice. I have a spektrum s6230 and that's 6 volts max and my castle 2.0 makes it super steady it really is nice.

Yeah, the 1210 had the same requirements the stock one so I stayed away from trying to figure out how to put in a bec until i had more confidence.

Ill run it without the bec, if i fry the esc I’ll upgrade it. Any suggestions for the esc of i need one?

I don't think the fans pull nearly that many amps.

These are typical 35mm fans that pull .5A each, actually says on the back of it .2A (that's point 2 amps):
http://gdstime.manufacturer.globals...1156805229/Small-Brushless-Axial-Flow-Fan.htm

I just got a few of these for a buddy of mine who was going through esc fans every other week. Got them on amazon for $14 for 3 of them. I wired receiver ends on them instead. Running them side by side with his stock esc fan, these spin a bit slower, but not much. Maybe the yeah racing ones pull a bit more than 1/2 an amp, but I can't believe it's 5 amps.

Your definitely right just took another look, its .3 amps at 5 volts each.

Sorry thanks fer the help guys

He has it in his head that it's greatly impacting performance when he has the esc fan and the 2 yeah racing fans running, but honestly, I don't see it.

I just can't see 3 fans running at full tilt pulling maybe 1A (probably closer to .7A) combined impacting any performance of a system capable of 150A spikes with an average of 50A on a heavy pull. If that's the case, you'd see speed dip whenever you turn your servo as some of those pull way more than 1A, especially when under load, but with full packs, you don't hardly notice an RPM dip of the fans when you go full lock to full lock of a servo.

I haven't done the upgrades yet so i couldnt see physical performance to tell if there were any problems, but i was more concerned with frying the esc. I thought the stats for yeah fans were 5 amps I miss read them they’re actually 5 volts at .3 amps so i actually don't see them causing any problems now because im still well below the max amperage the esc can handle.

Bumping an old thread in lieu of starting a new one. Did you end up wiring your motor fans and Esc fan to the same plug on the esc? Or did you run your motor fans to the RX? I’m considering options for motor fans and the associated wiring. I’m wondering if it is acceptable to splice into the wiring of the esc fan to power motor fans?

Bumping an old thread in lieu of starting a new one. Did you end up wiring your motor fans and Esc fan to the same plug on the esc? Or did you run your motor fans to the RX? I’m considering options for motor fans and the associated wiring. I’m wondering if it is acceptable to splice into the wiring of the esc fan to power motor fans?
I would power the motor fans either off the rx or a bec, not off the esc. I don't think the fan port on the esc has enough amperage to power 3 fans.

I ran the fans throught the rx, Since then iv put my kraton through many hours of hard driving on very rough terrain with no issues. The motor runs very cool now, in the low 100’s, and the batteries run at ambient temp.

I have my Yeah Racing fans plugged into a Y harness and then plugged it into my RX. I have done this with 2 of my rc's and never had any issues.

I would recommend putting computer fan covers over the fan, debris was always getting stuck in them and jamming them up.

I only have one motor fan, the cheap hobbywing 40mm. I spliced it in with the ESC fan off the ESC and ran it that way the last month or so of summer without any noticeable issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back