WLToys 144001 Dethroned as my favorite small RC. Xinlehong Toys Q903 1/16th Brushless new KING Rear LEDs added. Has front and rear ones now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Well for awhile now Ive been buying and trying different smaller scale RC's after having so much fun with the 144001. After a few others Ive found my new favorite.

The Q903 is the exact same RC as the other 9138 Im selling in the classifieds with a lot of upgrades already installed. My original plan was to just buy all the upgrade parts for the 9138 but after researching all that is different between the 2 it makes more sense (and is cheaper) just to buy the brushless version. In addition to the Brushless ESC and motor it has metal CVD's in the front, metal dog bones in the back, a wheelie bar (more on that later), a 1000mah battery vs the 9138's 500mah, and a much better 3 wire servo. So adding all those parts up along with the initial cost of the 9138 just didnt make sense. I got the brushless Q903 with an extra body for about $123.

I also had bought 2 extra batteries as well, so I have a total of 3 2s 1000mah batteries for this. After rerouting some of the wiring, and charging up the packs I took it out for a night run. I hit the throttle and was like "Hmmm, expected a lot more from brushless", til I realized I had it set to the slower speed. Once I fixed that I hammered the throttle and immediately realized the wheelie bar is not just for show. It wheelies on demand, and a couple times flipped over onto the roof. And when I hit the brakes after it was sliding on the roof it front flipped back onto its tires and I literally laughed out loud like a kid with his first RC. It is SOOOO much fun. And since it has built in front LED's I can smash it up and down the block at night. Its SUPER quiet as well. Not to mention the 1000mah packs last a long time. I can get about 45 minutes of run time with all 3 packs. So about 15 minutes each. I was really surprised by this also.

I hate to say it but the WLToys 144001 is probably going to be sitting for while. The Q903 is just so much more fun. Id say they are probably about the same speed. But being able to wheelie a 1/16th scale Truggy on demand is just too much fun. It desperately needs oil shocks though which I have already ordered. Its super bouncy. Oh it also tracks straight perfectly. I only had to adjust the trim once and it stayed there through all 3 packs. Even the 144001 needs to be adjusted more than it should.

If your looking for some small scale fun and want to spend a bit more for a brushless one I cant recommend this anymore. Just get it and youll see what I
mean. Pics added.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Last edited:
I was actually just looking at this yesterday, thanks for the insight.

How big is the battery tray?

The battery tray is 58mm L x 29.5mm W x 14mm H. The batteries that fit perfect and are the same as the stock one are here.
This thing sounds great. What kind of shocks did you order?

I ordered the official upgrade ones designed for the Q903 here even though they are coming from China. Normally I would have just used any small scale oil shocks but these have a non standard mounting system. Instead of all the mounts having screw holes the front and rear lower ones sort of clip onto "pivot" balls that are part of the A-Arms. I probably could have made some other ones work but just decided to get the ones made for it and wait for the slow boat. Heres a few pics to show what I mean.

20200312_210544.jpg
20200312_210531.jpg

That looks really similar to the Hosim 9125 just a different chassis. The Hosim was a pos.
504d6118-c85d-450c-94b8-75d3c7a88e3a_1.dab51113e665f20430af9c89321e96dd.jpeg

Still no idea how my nephew did this.
20200222_165349.jpg

You want some spare parts? Not really much usable but you never know.

Not sure what parts are the same between the 2. The 9125 is 10th scale right?
It says 10th scale but it's not. It's a little bigger than my LC Racing lwb MT. That is the large Duratrax car stand that it is sitting on for reference.
20200303_215354.jpg

Heres the Q903 compared to the 144001. Basically the same size but the 144001 is listed as 14th and the Q903 as 16th.

View attachment 69640
Give me like 20 minutes.
Traxxas Stampede 4x4(same size as the Arrma Granite) - Hosim 9125 - WL Toys 144001.

20200312_225950.jpg

Last edited:
Heres the Q903 compared to the 144001. Basically the same size but the 144001 is listed as 14th and the Q903 as 16th.

View attachment 69640
Ones a buggy ussualy monster trucks like the kraton is called 1/10 but the buggy is called 1/8
No not adjustable. But the 1000's fit perfect surprisingly. And I forgot to mention the run time. Its crazy good. Like 15-20 minutes or so. With all 3 packs I can get about 45 minutes. Excellent.
I get like 10mins on the 144001

Heres a few more pics with all the bodies I have.

20200312_215918.jpg
20200312_215931.jpg
20200312_215943.jpg

Also something I didnt notice last night but just found. There were at least 3 times I smacked the side of the car up against some bricks while sliding after a turn. It hit hard and I was sure something would have broke. At the time I didnt see anything but just noticed 2 cracks in 2 of the rims. I also found out they were about 10% glued on. So I glued them on and somewhat fixed the cracks. Ill be looking into tire and rim options. They don't have traditional 12mm hubs, just the pins. But I have some extra 12mm hub adapters Ill use. So at least that will open a lot more options to replace these once they inevitably break.

20200312_220554.jpg
20200312_220604.jpg
20200312_222335.jpg

PS: Just found the stock tires on Amazon with Prime. So thats awesome. https://www.amazon.com/HOSIM-Accessory-Wheels-30-ZJ02-Hosim/dp/B07BQVNXKV

Well I decided to tear this apart to see how well its made, how the diffs look, etc. And another difference between the 2 (brushed vs brushless) is all metal diffs and diff gears. Im pretty impressed at how well its built. The diffs were a little light on lube on the inside which was easily fixed with some Traxxas white grease I had from before. Got it all back together, batteries charged, time for a night run!

20200312_234038.jpg
20200313_000021.jpg
20200313_000321.jpg

Out of curiosity I decided to try to get the WLToys 144001 Oil shocks on the Q903 and I was able to get them to work perfect. They installed normally for the most part, but I had to put the lower rear eyelets from the Q903 shocks on the 144001 shocks since the rear A-Arms don't have screw holes where the lower shock would mount. I could have just tapped them but since I have the official oil shocks coming I just kept it that way. And since these shocks are wider I had to use some spacers to keep them from rubbing on the A-Arms. Other than that they installed great.

What a difference. Like a different vehicle. It handles perfect now. Basically everything handles better. Braking, turning, well everything. So Ill just be keeping these on it for now until the official ones get here from China.

I am also pretty impressed with the durability (except for the wheels). Ive flipped it, hit a solid yard brick at full speed at an angle and they bumper actually worked. No damage at all. The wheels however are garbage. 3 out of 4 have cracks or missing parts along the edges where the tires and wheels meet. So like I said in a previous post I am going to get the stock E-Revo Talon wheels and tires and that should solve that.

20200314_010827.jpg
20200314_005735.jpg
20200314_010823.jpg

Since this became my new favorite small RC Ive been tweaking things here and there and since it already had front LEDs I started thinking of ways to add rear ones. At first I was just using a clip on one for bicycles which was large and got in the way. And then I came up with an idea to not only get rear LEDs but to make them red as well. I used another set of the exact ones that are used in the front and made a custom wiring harness/ splitter so both could connect to the ESC LED port. As well as having a way of disconnecting them for when I don't need them on. I then mounted them in the rear on the wing mount. At first I was going to use a red sharpie to paint the LED red but couldnt find the one I had. This might not have lasted long anyway. So the idea I came up with is to use some of the red film that is on double sided tape as a "lens". I used some of the tape on the LEDs board as a mount spot. Then cut some strips of the red film and glued them onto the tape. It came out perfect, and works a lot better than I thought it would. After multiple night runs they haven't fallen off or had any issues at all. Pretty good rig. PS: I have another 1/16th scale on the way that might be a contender for the Q903. Will post more about that when I get it. Pics added.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back