Granite wobble in the rear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quad_rocket

Reaction score
truck came like this out of the box (see photo). i swapped tires and it doesn't matter, it still wobbles in the rear drivers side.

any help for a noob?

i did open a ticket, but they are very, very slow. plus whatever it is, i would think the issue would not warrant mailing the whole truck back.

thanks

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 131
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 55
This is a good question. I have found that after a few bashes I have the same issue in the rear for one...but for me, it changes meaning that it can go away and come back. I have seen it go to the opposite side as well. Changing tires around does not change much of anything.

However, on the ground I find ZERO driving issue and it drives straight on road and no wobble in motion...bashing, well never smooth ground anyway so would not matter.

I will add my tires are balanced I use black clay and a balancer and I have vented my tires as well...

My assumption and sure I am wrong maybe the inner foam is shifting because all my hubs are good and using HR extenders.

Let's see what the vets tell you...I'd like know myself.

One of my granite tires wobbled from day 1 but its just that the tire isnt glue on straight i think, doesn't affect performance. But you say that no matter what tire to put on the rear right, it wobbles?

Checked and cleaned hub bearings. They appeared properly seated. So I pulled the bearings from the passenger side and put them on the driver's side. Still wobbling.

I am assuming then that my part number 310784 is bent?
This is a good question. I have found that after a few bashes I have the same issue in the rear for one...but for me, it changes meaning that it can go away and come back. I have seen it go to the opposite side as well. Changing tires around does not change much of anything.

However, on the ground I find ZERO driving issue and it drives straight on road and no wobble in motion...bashing, well never smooth ground anyway so would not matter.

I will add my tires are balanced I use black clay and a balancer and I have vented my tires as well...

My assumption and sure I am wrong maybe the inner foam is shifting because all my hubs are good and using HR extenders.

The support tech thought foam too initially. But not going away, I moved stock tires around and put a set of Duramax tires on and the wobble persists.

I definitely get a hard rear sway when I am boosting it near top speed. Especially on the belted Duramax tires I picked up.

Attachments

• 20200712_111646.jpg
    20200712_111646.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 68
How does the axle look when it turns with the wheel off? It may even be that the hex is on crooked somehow. You could always try swapping the hexes and see if the problem follows the hex or stays with the axle.

Last edited:
I suppose you could always check to make sure that the screw that holds the axle (AR310784) onto the driveshaft (AR310864) is tight. You'll need a long 2mm hex key.

I don't have a 2mm hex key that long, but the axle is tight on the drive shaft.

Appreciate all help the trouble shooting so far.

Attachments

• 15945779280262623604551528544128.jpg
    15945779280262623604551528544128.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 44
I think the only way to isolate further is to try swapping axles on the driveshafts. You will need a long 2 mm key as soon as you need to replace diff bearings, so you might as well get one now.

I don't have a 2mm hex key that long, but the axle is tight on the drive shaft.

Appreciate all help the trouble shooting so far.

So far real good work of isolating this issue....has been helpful for me. When I get back into cleaning for my bearings and or diffs I will look into that...

I swapped the rear AR310864s and it went to the other side.
If it's not the axle, then easiest solution is probably a replacement AR310864. My Granite came with a wobbly center driveshaft (AR310884). The shaft itself rolled completely straight on a flat surface. So I think the "teeth" where it connects must have been off, causing the wobble. The part you're having trouble with has the same teeth. I didn't have any wobble once I got a replacement driveshaft.

Didn't want to leave this post hanging.

Finally heard back from HH, they said they closed my ticket due to inactivity. Which is bull, they are the ones that didn't respond.

Anyway, they are sending me rear driveshafts and axles under warranty. Once I get them installed, I will update this thread with what I find.

Also just noticed my rear shocks started leaking...less than 2 months of ownership, maybe 10 packs on it. I am adult and a noob so I have not even tried to get more air than 3-4ft with no attempts at tricks at this stage. AKA, I have not even bashed it yet.

I've seen the forum posts here about the shocks leaking and I ordered the same parts that Shen RC recommended on youtube to try to seal them up better.

I come from the world of quadcopters, I can say I am disappointed in Arrma in this aspect for lacking basic shock longevity. Reminds me of GM's planned obsolescence.

Also just noticed my rear shocks started leaking...less than 2 months of ownership, maybe 10 packs on it. I am adult and a noob so I have not even tried to get more air than 3-4ft with no attempts at tricks at this stage. AKA, I have not even bashed it yet.

I hate you had a bad run so far. I am totally new to the hobby and the Granite & Infraction were my first RCs. Outside what you are dealing with...the shocks and changing the radio were the main big call out...yeah other little stuff servo, bearings, etc. but seems out the box shocks/radio most addressed fast.

I'm not a pro so you can imagine being a newbie I have crashed the heck out this puppy and the Granite really can take a hit...like George of the jungle, I hit some damn trees...worse so far I flexed the rear RPM arm where the wheel hub pulled always from the pin on a side tree hit...easy fix put it back in. I never owned Traxxas or anything else so I have to trust the vets here when they say its a basher compared to the other brands with their breakage.

Keep us posted....

Yeah, I like the aspect of rebuilding and upgrading. Just was hoping for better basic build quality out of the box.

-attached some eye candy for those that stuck around-

20200707_202936.jpg
20200707_202907.jpg

Yeah, I like the aspect of rebuilding and upgrading. Just was hoping for better basic build quality out of the box.

-attached some eye candy for those that stuck around-

View attachment 91198View attachment 91199

Nice pics....looks good!

If I ever go to road tires I will have to ping you back on those....I am on the Duratraxx Stakker & Lockups for offroad currently.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back