Outcast Wondering About new esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ok thank you man, im probaly going to go with either 1730kv with 19 tooth pinion Or 1480 Kv with 22 tooth pinion

Interesting that while looking up info I found a note on the motor to specifically check temperatures on the end bell in the center and that after 5 minutes of running it must be under 160 F.

You are thinking the right way, then just monitor temps and adjust up or down pinion sizes as needed.

The Max6/Max5 manual does state the 1,500kv limit is maxed on a 5892 sized motor, which I find odd given I thought it would be related to switching speed between phases. That must be related to amp draw as well, so I think you are fine given the stock electronics come with a 2050kv 4074.

2050kv at 24v = 49,250 RPM
Under load even fully charged 6S by the time it reaches the motor the voltage will certainly be lower. Let’s say 22v so 45,150 RPM for a 2050.

Using 22v just for a rough idea of what 6S RPM might max out at for different KV ratings.
2050kv=45,150
1720kv=37,840
1650kv=36,300
1500kv=33,000
1250kv=27,500
1000kv=22,000
800kv=17,600

I don’t know if this is anywhere close to reality or what the effect of a larger volume motor is on the speed the ESC can switch, but this is why you need to gear up with a lower KV motor, because that literally means that motor spins slower at the same voltage. You get more torque but at the cost of RPM.

Weight is a huge determining factor here. When you upgrade a stock truck and add weight to it, especially rotating mass from the wheels and tires to the motor itself and everything in between, you need more torque to move it without overheating and must go lower KV or lower gearing to compensate.
Switching speed is not necessarily the bottleneck.
The max series is already several years old. Back then the 56/58xx size was the common 8S application and these 56/58xx size motors in general don't exceed 40k rpm. Hobbywing designs their esc's to be extremely safe, it's all about them wanting to protect motors from exceeding max rpm (and ampdraw)

Just consider kv as your electronic gearbox. Same motor can, same torque. High kv just means some of the torque is already used for the gearing. Gearing (including wheel diameter) and weight all add up to increase the ampdraw of the motor, which create heat (~10% of the power goes into waste heat)

As long as you can hold your hand on the motor for a few sec after running it 5 min, there is still room to gear up.(if you want to)

Back