Worst rc repair/upgrade experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. 4x4-Mega
Ok, here goes. What is the one RC only related upgrade/repair you absolutely hate doing? For me, it is gluing tires. I always seem to get more glue on me than i do the tires, no matter how i do them, or how little or how much glue i use.

This will be a great thread. Replacing the 4 brass bushings with bearings in the steering. Breaking my gorgeous 7075 home made talion chassis in half trying to make the front bend in a press. Fixing anything before I bought a set of MIP hex drivers...

Bearings. You basically have to tear the whole rig down to change them all.
Ok, i have to admit, in all the years i have been messing with RC stuff, i have never actually done this, but, i typically never keep a vehicle long enough to have them become an issue, although, i am building a long term snow vehicle out of a Racers Edge Pro 2, so i should probably think about it at least once. Even on my Arrma Fury, which is at least a few years old, ive never even thought about it, but i never seem to have issues that would make me think the bearings are bad. Maybe the PO did them before i got it. I honestly wouldnt even know all the places the bearings should go, except on my older stuff (Tamiya Grasshopper, Tamiya Monster Beetle, Futaba FX10).

Dif maintenance/repair/replacement. I didn't mind it before, but since I got the JBIRC towers, getting them in and out has been a pita. Also, and this seems to happen all the time too, when I use old gears to assemble a dif with a few new parts, doesn't bind when dry. Nooooooo, waits til I have waited a half hour for the fluid to settle, button it up, then give it a spin in my hands. Sure enough, something's gonna lock it up and apart it has to go. Probably my impatience getting the best of me, but still a real pita.

Replacing bearings and changing chassis plate. (n)(n)
The only time i replaced a chassis plate was on a Redcat Volcano, and i swore after that i would never do it again on any vehicle.

The only time i replaced a chassis plate was on a Redcat Volcano, and i swore after that i would never do it again on any vehicle.
I’ve swapped quite a few 3S chassis and it was never a big deal. ??‍♂️

I’ve swapped quite a few 3S chassis and it was never a big deal. ??‍♂️
The Redcat stuff is a nightmare to work on, no matter what vehicle it is. I have a Blackout i had to rebuild the diff on, and it took over an hour just to get it apart. It took me half a day to swap the chassis on the Volcano. Its a big reason why i wont own another Redcat.

I won't glue tires that is what I hate.
Bead locks or replace with new.
F### gluing.

Last edited:
I agree, bearings/diffs. The bearings aren't bad but I included them because I need to tear the diffs apart to do it. Like @Notorious J, more than once I dry fit and I have no issues, once done and I'm ripping it apart again. By the time I'm done it's like diff oil bukkake. :ROFLMAO:

@Notorious J You just had to go and mention diff/bearing replacements, didnt you LOL. I was messing with my Fury, swapping tires and adding 20MM spacers, and one front bearing is really stiff, and the diff acts like its locking up again.

@Notorious J You just had to go and mention diff/bearing replacements, didnt you LOL. I was messing with my Fury, swapping tires and adding 20MM spacers, and one front bearing is really stiff, and the diff acts like its locking up again.
Oops

I won't glue tires that is what I hate.
Bead locks or replace with new.
F### gluing.
I just reglued my Badlands MX28s and have some glue on one finger. Time to grab the old lady's acetone.

For me it's diff maintenance...which is coming up very soon on Kraton, Outcast and Noto. I guess I'll need to consider changing bearings while I'm tearing those down.
Still running stock chassis so haven't had to change that out but I bet it's a pita. Starting to hit bigger air (20-feet) so that may be in the near future.

I just reglued my Badlands MX28s and have some glue on one finger. Time to grab the old lady's acetone.
Everytime I pick up that crap I look like Edward Scissorhands when I am done.
Just cannot get the hang of it I suppose.

Anything that invloves silicone oil. I hate the stuff. Thats means I hate doing work on shocks and diffs.

it's such a slippery and difficult to clean substance.

Everytime I pick up that crap I look like Edward Scissorhands when I am done.
Just cannot get the hang of it I suppose.
No matter how careful you are using it, your fingers seem to always touch some. Guess I will start using surgical gloves from now on.

I actually enjoy tearing them completely apart for cleaning and routine maintenance on or about every 20 packs. But me and that tiny little piece of folded in half foam where the wires for the receiver box go, fight every single time we cross paths. That's probably the only part that can get me aggravated on the entire rig

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back