Typhon Would a vxl 4s system be fine in a Typhon Mega v3?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireDrake001

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
I am just wondering if a vxl 4s system from a maxx would ruin the diffs. Im running a 14 tooth and a 4s.

You’ll definitely need to upgrade the slipper and motor mount to the BLX version. Otherwise, it’s a toss up.

You’ll definitely need to upgrade the slipper and motor mount to the BLX version. Otherwise, it’s a toss up.
I forgot to mention. I have the Kraton slipper clutch but is otherwise stock. I do need to get the blx metal motor mount. Though, I have had not issue with the motor mount bending or anything, yet. Other then that you think it would handle it?

Typhon 4s.jpg

From experience I would go with the TQi TX/RX so you can adjust reverse speed. Otherwise you get 100% reverse throttle in about 1/8th of an inch of "reverse" lever action.

I am still rocking a plastic housing running a VXL3s system. Its holding for now.

From experience I would go with the TQi TX/RX so you can adjust reverse speed. Otherwise you get 100% reverse throttle in about 1/8th of an inch of "reverse" lever action.

I am still rocking a plastic housing running a VXL3s system. Its holding for now.
Good to know. I have a 4s Hoss with the same 4s maxx setup and it blasts at 50+mph. Unlike most people I tend to like more powerful brakes. Especially for my jumping. The vxl 3s system is what I had in my typhon mega v3 before. I traded my friend that system for the hoss 3s higher torque motor system he had. I could tell the motor was straining especially with such a long chassis. I would highly recommend a 15/16 tooth pinion Kraton 4s slipper clutch,vxl 3s esc and the 540 xl traxxas motor. I got almost twice as much startup power with no squealing.

Good to know. I have a 4s Hoss with the same 4s maxx setup and it blasts at 50+mph. Unlike most people I tend to like more powerful brakes. Especially for my jumping. The vxl 3s system is what I had in my typhon mega v3 before. I traded my friend that system for the hoss 3s higher torque motor system he had. I could tell the motor was straining especially with such a long chassis. I would highly recommend a 15/16 tooth pinion Kraton 4s slipper clutch,vxl 3s esc and the 540 xl traxxas motor. I got almost twice as much startup power with no squealing.

We must drive different because my Granite is almost uncontrollable with that 3S system. Not sure what size pinion is in there, its the old 48P.

Its not the breaking for me, its literally when stopped and trying to reverse, it will do a front flip :LOL:. The VXL3s has no way to turn down reverse and neither does the SLT3 that I know of.

That truck is currently in pieces though, the rear diff exploded.. again.

We must drive different because my Granite is almost uncontrollable with that 3S system. Not sure what size pinion is in there, its the old 48P.

Its not the breaking for me, its literally when stopped and trying to reverse, it will do a front flip :LOL:. The VXL3s has no way to turn down reverse and neither does the SLT3 that I know of.

That truck is currently in pieces though, the rear diff exploded.. again.
My goodness. You are talking about the 3500kv 3s motor right? The Granite has a much shorter chassis and deals more wheelies and stuff because of it. The hoss and slash are just about the same length and the typhon in length dwarfs them both. Is that Granite a v2 or v3?

I ran a Spektrum 2050kv 6s motor in a otherwise stock blx Granite and Typhon, only on 3s though, and it held up good... The occasional breakage, but they were my kids cars and they have no idea what "throttle control" is, so that could have had something to do with it too... I'd say run it on 3s for a bit and if it holds up fine, throw some 4s at it until it doesn't 👍

My goodness. You are talking about the 3500kv 3s motor right? The Granite has a much shorter chassis and deals more wheelies and stuff because of it. The hoss and slash are just about the same length and the typhon in length dwarfs them both. Is that Granite a v2 or v3?
Hehe yea, good point on the wheelbase. It is a V3.

There's something else wrong here, the VXL should drive just like any other ESC and motor combination.

The Spektrum system runs backwards (CCW) because of the way the motor is mounted, the VXL runs CW. If you had to reverse your throttle channel to get it to work, that's the problem. Go back to Normal and then flip any two motor wires.

There's something else wrong here, the VXL should drive just like any other ESC and motor combination.

The Spektrum system runs backwards (CCW) because of the way the motor is mounted, the VXL runs CW. If you had to reverse your throttle channel to get it to work, that's the problem. Go back to Normal and then flip any two motor wires.
Thanks for the tip, the throttle channel is not reversed.

I think the issue is that Traxxas gives you all the beans. Profile one is 100% Forward and Reverse, Training mode is 50% Forward and Reverse. Given how sensitive the system is, when reversing, getting 100% power in such a small remote lever action makes for some insane "Mater Level" reversing.

With my other Traxxas rigs this is no problem as I can turn down reverse with the TQi TX/RX. The one in question runs an SLT3.

Not sure what the reverse power is for the stock BLX100 but it feels less than 100% and does not front flip the car when I reverse.

Pixar Cars Spinning GIF by Disney+

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, the throttle channel is not reversed.

I think the issue is that Traxxas gives you all the beans. Profile one is 100% Forward and Reverse, Training mode is 50% Forward and Reverse. Given how sensitive the system is, when reversing, getting 100% power in such a small remote lever action makes for some insane "Mater Level" reversing.

With my other Traxxas rigs this is no problem as I can turn down reverse with the TQi TX/RX. The one in question runs an SLT3.

Not sure what the reverse power is for the stock BLX100 but it feels less than 100% and does not front flip the car when I reverse.

Pixar Cars Spinning GIF by Disney+

You can go as fast in reverse as you can in forward? Really? Like if it goes 40mph forward, you can go 40mph in reverse? I’m pretty sure the VXL doesn’t do that, I’ve had about 4-5 of the VXL-3S systems.

Anyway, all the TQi radio does is turn down the reverse/brake end point, you can do the same thing in the SLT3. It’s a secret adjustment (read the manual for throttle end point or “travel”).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back