Would Arrma Fireteam springs be the simplest way to get heavier springs for a Kraton EXB?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
So Iv been reading around and it looks like the easiest way to upgrade springs with stock gear on an exb 6s are neros or fireteam springs. I have a CC 1650 weighing my back end down and need something beefier. I realize Ill have to change fluid and valving but Im sick of this rear end sag. I can tighten them down with the ring but then they rebound more then the front,
expectedly.

I think so the Arrma specs pages are all jacked up for the springs so it is not very clear as what the proper specs are without taking some shocks apart.

The stock rear springs for the Kraton are AR330508 description says Shock Springs 95MM 0.87N/MM 5.0LB/IN (2): 6s and the specs are listed as
  • Specification:

85mm Length

0.87N/mm (5.0lb/in)

INCLUDES​

2 x 95mm Shock Spring - 0.87N/mm (5.0lb/in)

The stock rear springs for the Fireteam are ARA330782 description says Shock Springs, 72mm 0.97N/MM (5.54LBF/IN) (2) and the specs are listed as
  • 95mm Length

24mm Outer Diameter

1.70mm Wire Diameter

0.97N/mm (5.54lb/in) Spring Rate

INCLUDES​

2 x Shock Springs: 95mm 0.97N/mm (5.54lbf/in)
There are many many inconsistencies across all of the Arrma models when it comes to the specs of the parts.

lol I remember when I tried hot racing nero springs on my kraton. Thing turned into a bouncy mess, NEVER AGAIN.

If you are getting the ride height you want by adjusting the spring collars and the preload is causing it to rebound too fast you could put thicker oil in the rear shocks to slow the rebound. The Fireteam springs sound like they would work perfect for your situation as well seeing as your truck is heavier than stock.

Cool thanks for the info and chart. Im measuring 21mm inside diameter and about 1.5 mm thick springs.
Id hope they seat in the spring collar. .5 pound more rate on the fireteam spring, that would do it. And pre loading kinda sucks as mentioned rebound. Oh thats a good idea, weight oil should I use 5k? The stock springs are kinda wimpy. It seems people put springs on and their rig gets kinda bouncy.
I ordered some 2 mm diameter 21 mm id springs from Aliexpress, 80,90, 100mm. Also toying with the idea of getting two different thickness springs on one shock, 40mmx2mm and a 3mm 45mm. They are cheap so might be a fun experiment. Century springs has a set but they charge you an under 40 dollar fee of 15 bucks, so 50 bucks for a set all around. I saw a good youtube video on the setup. I might get some fire team ones and call it a day though.

Stock weight is 1000cst or 80wt. You could try 90-100wt. I think for your application the Fireteam springs are probably your best bet. You will probably spend more time and money messing around with random Aliexpress springs than just tuning with shock oil and the 1/2 pound stiffer springs. I also recommend the M2C shock piston set. I have had them for over a year and they are designed to reduce rebound. My truck handles like a dream with them.

Fire team springs will be your answer for sure. There are also a few versions of the fireteam springs in the optional parts of the arrma website. Nero springs you will hate, they are hilariously stiff. I use them on my current build but it's a 23 pound truck and I'm using 2,000 CST oil in the shocks and I should probably go a little higher. The picture is Nero springs on the shock next to fireteam

Just looked at the site and it seems like they aren't on there anymore in optional parts. I know they used to be for sure. Weird.

D2ABC4EF-64AC-4DEA-882C-60281C2DB6AB.jpeg

Cool thanks for the info and chart. Im measuring 21mm inside diameter and about 1.5 mm thick springs.
Id hope they seat in the spring collar. .5 pound more rate on the fireteam spring, that would do it. And pre loading kinda sucks as mentioned rebound. Oh thats a good idea, weight oil should I use 5k? The stock springs are kinda wimpy. It seems people put springs on and their rig gets kinda bouncy.
I ordered some 2 mm diameter 21 mm id springs from Aliexpress, 80,90, 100mm. Also toying with the idea of getting two different thickness springs on one shock, 40mmx2mm and a 3mm 45mm. They are cheap so might be a fun experiment. Century springs has a set but they charge you an under 40 dollar fee of 15 bucks, so 50 bucks for a set all around. I saw a good youtube video on the setup. I might get some fire team ones and call it a day though.
Do you have a link to the AliExpress springs?

Ok great thanks, I got the mc2 piston set, yikes $. Would have loved to get the caps with bleeder screws but too much.
Getting the fireteam springs from amainhobbies, cheap love it. Should I go with the stock fireteam shock oil, 1000 cst. Im not planning on launching into space just yet.

Ok great thanks, I got the mc2 piston set, yikes $. Would have loved to get the caps with bleeder screws but too much.
Getting the fireteam springs from amainhobbies, cheap love it. Should I go with the stock fireteam shock oil, 1000 cst. Im not planning on launching into space just yet.
Awesome let us know how it works out for you.

Ok so I have several of these springs ready, an 85mm long 2 mm thick one and a 90mm 1.7 thick one. My guess is I might have to increase viscosity so I could get into a pickle trying to get the right combo. I dipped em in por 15 after grinding down the ends.

My problem now is getting the air bubbles out when I'v filled the shocks. Im using 80w and the slow pull push thing and the bubbles don't move and I can't get them out. Iv done lots of shocks but something about these, maybe the m2c pistons. I have at least assembled two with no real rebound other than the bladder moving it. I tried a bunch and couldnt get the rebounds to match up between two.

Also as someone mentioned would I have to increase to 2000cst if I put the fire team shocks in? Thats twice stock fluid.

Any tricks for filling shocks without getting bubbles?

Last edited:
Ok so I have several of these springs ready, an 85mm long 2 mm thick one and a 90mm 1.7 thick one. My guess is I might have to increase viscosity so I could get into a pickle trying to get the right combo. I dipped em in por 15 after grinding down the ends.

My problem now is getting the air bubbles out when I'v filled the shocks. Im using 80w and the slow pull push thing and the bubbles don't move and I can't get them out. Iv done lots of shocks but something about these, maybe the m2c pistons. I have at least assembled two with no real rebound other than the bladder moving it. I tried a bunch and couldnt get the rebounds to match up between two.

Also as someone mentioned would I have to increase to 2000cst if I put the fire team shocks in? Thats twice stock fluid.

Any tricks for filling shocks without getting bubbles?
Let them sit for like 30 minutes all the bubbles will come to the surface. Or get a vacuum bleader Tamiya 54152 Damper Oil Air Remover - Super Long https://a.co/d/gRdo4np

Cool thanks. I just was watching a video of that tamiya device. The diameter for the holders looked small. I let them sit overnight, still bubblss. 30 min didnt do anything also. I have a vacuum compressor, can figure something out, making rtv seal right now. My only though was the o rings letting in air, I check the front, both were fine. Im also wondering about the seals on the bladder, I just and tighten then and a smudge. Its obviously air, or could oil be bad somehow?

Also if I went up in weight for the fireteam springs that would be worse. Argg

Fill the shocks with oil then move the shaft up and down a couple times and let it sit so the bubbles come to the surface. Add a little but more oil and move the shaft a couple more times and let it sit again. Once the bubbles are gone put the bladder and shock cap back on and very slowly screw the cap back on. Excess oil should come out the tiny hole on the side of the cap along with any remaining air. You don't have to crank real hard on the cap just get it snug and then another 1/4 turn or so till its tight. You should be fine with 80wt for now.

Last edited:
Thanks I saw that before I rebuilt my shocks. I left it ivernight and still bubbles. The rebound was too fast withe the fireteam springs so I increased viscosity of oil. I did not grease o rings so when I put them in the vacuum chamber bubbles start to appear. Think I'm going to rebuild them with slime on them. But the bubbles are driving me crazy I want no rebound as I'm afraid I'll bend shock shaft with heavier oil.

Would anyone know if I should increase my shock oil weight with the fire team springs? Im using 1000cst and the rebound is really fast compared to the front with stock springs and 80w.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back