Typhon Would thicker diff fluid help reduce spinouts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, thicker diff fluid can help tame excessive spinning. But I only have a 3s rig, so I can't recommend specific weights.
I beg to differ. Less diff action (thicker oil) presents less traction. Thicker oil does this to some extent. Especially at the F and R.
The Typhon should have lighter diff oils IMHO. Being a lighter shorter wheelbase.
It is much harder to drive with 6s. I run my TLRT closer to stock weights. Just bumped up slightly. Run only 4s. 22T pinion. Getting 58 mph top end.
Never spins out. Electrics Run cool as ice.
Driver input matters much as well. No one speaks of this. We all have different driving skills and no 2 drive the same.
And coming from a 3s 4x4 Typhon platform., there is NO comparison whatsoever to a 6s Typhon or TLRT. Completely Different animals altogether.

Last edited:
Dropping the rear to 10k is the first thing I'd try. Oversteering under power and instability off the line should be most improved by this change. If it's still not good enough then drop the centre.
Just checked my LHS and they have 10k in stock, will try changing that today first.

Just checked my LHS and they have 10k in stock, will try changing that today first.
Keep at it. I had the same challenge with my new Kraton EXB purchased in Nov. It took me until 2022 to get it right and I was having no love with it at all in the first few months. Help from here and same as you are doing....questions and questions to those to those YT video posters I was able to get it right. I also learned via pain not to do too much at one time hard to know what particular change happened to create the issue.

I learned a lot in the process it was painful before the fun.

Keep us updated!

Ran it today with 10k in the rear. Not much difference really and blew out yet another tire. I really appreciate all the input and attempts to help, but today I passed my breaking point with the Typhon 6s. Handled like garbage out of the box, 2 months of reading, watching vids, tinkering, etc and its a lot better than it was out of the box, but still doesn't handle anywhere near as good as my 3s Typhon on stock tires. Badlands made very little difference vs the stock Katars. The JConcepts Magma tires made a noticeable improvement, but that was the tire I blew out today on the second run with them, :ROFLMAO:.

I would be better off with something that has more ground clearance anyway, so time to decide between selling the Typhon for a different rig or converting it into something besides a buggy.

Ran it today with 10k in the rear. Not much difference really and blew out yet another tire. I really appreciate all the input and attempts to help, but today I passed my breaking point with the Typhon 6s. Handled like garbage out of the box, 2 months of reading, watching vids, tinkering, etc and its a lot better than it was out of the box, but still doesn't handle anywhere near as good as my 3s Typhon on stock tires. Badlands made very little difference vs the stock Katars. The JConcepts Magma tires made a noticeable improvement, but that was the tire I blew out today on the second run with them, :ROFLMAO:.

I would be better off with something that has more ground clearance anyway, so time to decide between selling the Typhon for a different rig or converting it into something besides a buggy.

I am sorry you are having these issues. My best buddy took his out of the box and just went wild yes his from tires did balloon-like mad but he still handled it on 6S at worse some became unglued in areas he just reglued and was fine. Adding the AVC gave him more control.

Wish there was more I could do or had someone who knows these rigs close to you....maybe LHS possibly

It sounds like you might be expecting more control and traction than you can get on that surface and therefore you're too heavy on the throttle. A car with larger tires would let you drive more aggressively.

The problems going in and coming out of turns is something I assume is fixable if I had enough knowledge/skills/patience. Still just weird to me that even going in a straight line at half throttle on 4s sometimes I can catch a rock or bump and it will spin out like a real car hitting a patch of black ice. Those little buggy tires just can't handle the terrain, looking forward to something with bigger tires and more ground clearance. Now its time for me to decide if I want to truggify, convert to an Outcast, or sell it and buy a new rig. Just put Basherqueen shock towers on, hate to lose them, lol.

I’ve always loved the look of the XL typhon with the cab-forward look. I don’t think I’ve seen a truggified one. Don’t the typhons also have shorter shocks which will limit travel compared to a MT to absorb those rocks.

I’ve always loved the look of the XL typhon with the cab-forward look. I don’t think I’ve seen a truggified one. Don’t the typhons also have shorter shocks which will limit travel compared to a MT to absorb those rocks.
Yes shocks are shorter on the RTR Typhon/TLRT Typhon roller. ( 1/8 Buggies)
Many have truggified the Typhon. Just that everyone's idea of truggifying a rig can be different.
1/8 Truggies have longer arms being wider tracked and use a longer wheelbase. Longer arms require longer shocks. Etc.
Body is just a body. Whatever you choose for the lid. Truggifying is not just about the looks IMHO.
The Notorious is closely related to the Typhon. Same SWB chassis. Just longer arms and shocks/towers for the most part. With a Truck body and MT tires.

Last edited:
Yes I think the shorter shock travel and the smaller tires combined just aren't a good fit for the amount of rocks where I'm at. Love the speed of the Typhon, but I already avoid about 1/3 of the field in the picture because the ground clearance isn't enough. I have a couple of grassier spots with a lot less rocks that it does much better on, they are just smaller bash spots and feels like I need more room. I'll probably keep running it there for a little while to use up some of the tires I have. Still hard to decide between the Kraton and Mojave, wish the Mojave had more tire options.

I can catch a rock or bump and it will spin out like a real car hitting a patch of black ice.

Just something weird here I do not have a lot of experience but if this was the case for all Typhon owners I think the popularity would be down. Mine you we are not pro RC drivers...I'm not :)

The only thing I can go on is some of the out-of-the-box runs with the Typhon and my best friend with his v5. Now he was throttle happy and lost control due to new to RCs and wanted to go from 0-100 as a newbie. However, on his gravel driveway and running it straight across it and other stuff it did not spin a 180. The AVC I added for him was to control his lack of learning control so rig self-corrected while he stayed mad on it...before that addition, it drove well.

Just weird Man...sorry for the issues the Typhon or TLR are really great little buggies. Would like you to get this one right before you move on to a Kraton or Mojave.

Just something weird here I do not have a lot of experience but if this was the case for all Typhon owners I think the popularity would be down. Mine you we are not pro RC drivers...I'm not :)

The only thing I can go on is some of the out-of-the-box runs with the Typhon and my best friend with his v5. Now he was throttle happy and lost control due to new to RCs and wanted to go from 0-100 as a newbie. However, on his gravel driveway and running it straight across it and other stuff it did not spin a 180. The AVC I added for him was to control his lack of learning control so rig self-corrected while he stayed mad on it...before that addition, it drove well.

Just weird Man...sorry for the issues the Typhon or TLR are really great little buggies. Would like you to get this one right before you move on to a Kraton or Mojave.
I think I'm going to hold off on selling the Typhon and wait until I can buy a Kraton or Mojave without selling anything. I can still use the Typhon in a couple of grassy areas and it does fine as long as the tires hold together. Those grassy areas aren't real big though so its not as much fun overall, maybe I can find some new places to bash that aren't so rough.
I also want to find a spot that is mostly dirt instead of mostly rocks to give it a bash and see if I experience the same issue. I started wondering this morning if some of those rocks are catching the chassis on my Typhon due to insufficient ground clearance and lifting it up and out of traction long enough to lose control. I know a big dirt parking lot I can try it in this weekend hopefully and find out if its the terrain, the Typhon, or my control fingers.
Still sucks how many unglued and torn tires I've had without running it a lot. Thats the main reason I don't run it often is I get tired of gluing tires after every bash, even just one 4s pack and I usually need to glue something. Oh well, seems like every rig has at least one issue that doesn't have a lot of good solutions and we just learn to complain and live with it, lol. :LOL:

Good call on keeping it. Ultimately, the rocks aren’t the best spot for that rig. If those tires are anything like my senton 3s tires, they’re paper thin and tear running on grass, so sharp rocks exacerbated it. I ditched those. For rocks you’d want something with more tread and a thicker wall…MT tires.

Update: Finally had a good bash on dirt with my Typhon 6s today! Took it to a dirt parking lot that was packed down good with some very small rocks, no bigger ones like the spot I was having so much trouble with spinouts. Only thing that sucks is the rear left driveshaft kept coming out of the drive cup because the hinge pin kept backing out so I didn't bash as long as I wanted too.

I realized my spinouts previously were caused by the bumpy terrain, smaller buggy tires, and lack of ground clearance. Today I could go full blast on 4s with an 18t pinion quiet easily. Previously it would just go into full 360 spins so quick and suddenly that it was frustrating and adjustments weren't making much of an impact. Today it would start a spinout and I could adjust steering/throttle and frequently bring it back in line before it would fully spinout, pretty much the way I thought I should have been able to before when I was having problems.

I feel like an idiot for not paying closer attention to the terrain and realizing how much it was affecting my rig. I still want to modify it for larger tires because the dirt parking lot I used today is not available on the weekends (its in use pretty much all day on Saturdays/Sundays :(). But at least I know how much more fun it can be as a buggy now and I will keep some buggy tires for those weekdays I can get over there.

One other thing: the Badlands buggy tires are very popular for the Typhon and mine did well today, but I was more impressed with the JConcept Magmas. Not sure why they don't get much mention on here, they have very aggressive treads that are deep and are a few bucks cheaper than Badlands. I had one rip and almost sling a foam out on 6s when I first ran them, but got it glued back together and it held fine today.

Anyway, wanted to report the positives on my Typhon after complaining so much previously. :LOL:

you live and you learn! Glad you found some resolve. Hope you end up keeping it and buy a MT! I hope to have a typhon tlr in my arsenal some day solely for flat pavement/dirt and the track.

Update: Finally had a good bash on dirt with my Typhon 6s today! Took it to a dirt parking lot that was packed down good with some very small rocks, no bigger ones like the spot I was having so much trouble with spinouts. Only thing that sucks is the rear left driveshaft kept coming out of the drive cup because the hinge pin kept backing out so I didn't bash as long as I wanted too.

I realized my spinouts previously were caused by the bumpy terrain, smaller buggy tires, and lack of ground clearance. Today I could go full blast on 4s with an 18t pinion quiet easily. Previously it would just go into full 360 spins so quick and suddenly that it was frustrating and adjustments weren't making much of an impact. Today it would start a spinout and I could adjust steering/throttle and frequently bring it back in line before it would fully spinout, pretty much the way I thought I should have been able to before when I was having problems.

I feel like an idiot for not paying closer attention to the terrain and realizing how much it was affecting my rig. I still want to modify it for larger tires because the dirt parking lot I used today is not available on the weekends (its in use pretty much all day on Saturdays/Sundays :(). But at least I know how much more fun it can be as a buggy now and I will keep some buggy tires for those weekdays I can get over there.

One other thing: the Badlands buggy tires are very popular for the Typhon and mine did well today, but I was more impressed with the JConcept Magmas. Not sure why they don't get much mention on here, they have very aggressive treads that are deep and are a few bucks cheaper than Badlands. I had one rip and almost sling a foam out on 6s when I first ran them, but got it glued back together and it held fine today.

Anyway, wanted to report the positives on my Typhon after complaining so much previously. :LOL:

YES!

Glad you had success! I was grilled well when I came into this hobby about what locations I want to bash, and spots I could go and buy RCs that fit those areas.

Good run. Tires are a learning curve. On my Typhon TLR I really like the race track buggy grade PL tires. They dig deep and hook up well. I like the stock tires with the low tread for the grass, hard dirt and areas I do not want deep traction so it can slide and move easily across and I can slide the rear and it not bit and flip.

Showing the tire sure you already know what the stock TLR looks like.
1652504412721.png

No worries, I did the eyeroll earlier because people kept trying to guide you in all the wrong directions when the explanation was right there in your pic. Glad you figured it out.

No worries, I did the eyeroll earlier because people kept trying to guide you in all the wrong directions when the explanation was right there in your pic. Glad you figured it out.
Razor maybe I am stepping out of line being old and gray, but I have PM'd you and asked you a ton of questions and appreciate your advice here as well as YT comments..

Why in the heck do you say this now if that's what you felt BEFORE and not share your years of experience. Obviously, the gentleman is looking for help...why even if some of us were off. Hell, I am still new but I try to give a word of encouragement and attempt to help I'm still on the milk bottle sometimes!

Why do that....

Forgive if I am wrong maybe you PM'd him....I thought the goal here was to help...for a guy with your experience and respect I have for you that's just crappy to share that now!

Forgive me for being old and gray!

Parco

Back