Outcast Would this terrain inspire you to run an Outcast, Kraton, or something else (like a ##### Summit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdabbler

Reaction score
Greetings ARRMA enthusiasts,

Alright, I'm a little torn. I recently moved out in the country, with more outdoors to explore, but it's mostly off-road 4x4 type terrain, like woods & trails. Well, I found this DNR (Dept Natural Resources) land that's accessible to the public, and went to explore it, Monday afternoon, on the way home from work. I was blown away at the potential this place had, but was also perplexed to find both bashing spots and crawling spots, like little ATV trails that branch off the main gravel roads. I was leaning towards getting a Summit (I know...not an ARRMA), because it can rush down a rocky road, but then gear down for a slow crawl (too bad the NERO had to be yanked), but I also am learning that the Summit is not intended for fast/hard bashing, and I already have some good crawlers. I don't know. I don't currently have an ARRMA, as I sold my Senton 6S last year, and wasn't planning on getting another one, because, near the last place we lived, there weren't any places like this, where I could run a 1/8 scale monster truck. However, as soon as I walked into this area, I immediately started wishing I had a bigger truck (I brought a little Traxxas Telluride with me). Maybe I should bring two trucks, although that would be tedious.

So, as far as ARRMA 1/8 scales go, do you think this type of place would warrant an Outcast/Notorious, or Kraton?

Some slow crawling spots here:

See the Motocross tracks over on the right? ?

Total bashing/jumping area!

Random ATV trails that branch off the gravel road.

Attachments

• 20190304_165739.jpg
    20190304_165739.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 39
i would like to jump that little mud hole... you can always get a cheap plastic ramp and bash wherever you want...

That is soooooo Notorious/Outcast country! Flat out rips and great spots to jump and flip. Who could ask for anything more.

That is soooooo Notorious/Outcast country! Flat out rips and great spots to jump and flip. Who could ask for anything more.

ill take a clay dirt jump park.. lol... im sure he has those too up in WA

The summit is definitely one of the best rc's ever built due to its abilities. Everyone knows that it has no competition, you either buy a summit, or you buy something else. This is definitely high speed notorious/kraton territory though.

A Nero would've definitely been perfect.

Appreciate all the responses, guys. I'm still torn. ? I found a good, used Summit on Craigslist for $400, with extra wheels, extra clear body & cage, + batteries, and have been considering that. If I got a new Kraton, I'd want a whole new set of Backflips, or similar, for better traction on all the rocks, gravel, and loose dirt, so I'd quickly be near or over the $600 mark. Ouch. I guess that would be the cost of having a bashing beast, which the Summit is not. I really have to decide whether I want "fast" all or most of the time, or only on occasion. I have tomorrow off, and told the Summit seller I was planning on coming down to get it. I'm either going to do that, or go visit a LHS and get a new Kraton, or say forget the whole idea, and be content with my 1/10 scale trucks.

For the admins, this might need to go the "Other RC's" section, and I'll totally understand.

My summit blows diffs all the time I’m so sick of rebuilding the entire truck just to get to the diffs, they’re a pain to get to. it has a bunch of upgrades to make the diffs tougher but they still go out. the Summit isn’t nearly even a mild basher and do not get a brushless system for it, too much power for the drive train. I think the highest jump I went off of with it was maybe 2ft at 5mph with a down ramp and I blew the front diff, that’s why I got a granite so I can launch it over rocks and sticks and laugh and giggle as it rolls down a hill and keeps coming back up for more. Believe it or not the granite’s diffs are bigger than the summit’s diffs which I think is quite dissapointing considering it’s almost twice the size of the granite. However, I’ve heard good things about the Trx 4, and I really want one but...$$$$$$$

My summit blows diffs all the time I’m so sick of rebuilding the entire truck just to get to the diffs, they’re a pain to get to. it has a bunch of upgrades to make the diffs tougher but they still go out. the Summit isn’t nearly even a mild basher and do not get a brushless system for it, too much power for the drive train. I think the highest jump I went off of with it was maybe 2ft at 5mph with a down ramp and I blew the front diff, that’s why I got a granite so I can launch it over rocks and sticks and laugh and giggle as it rolls down a hill and keeps coming back up for more. Believe it or not the granite’s diffs are bigger than the summit’s diffs which I think is quite dissapointing considering it’s almost twice the size of the granite. However, I’ve heard good things about the Trx 4, and I really want one but...$$$$$$$

Thanks for sharing that experience. Some Summit owners have had really great experiences, but those are probably the guys that keep it slow, and don’t bash it. I’ve got a TRX-4, and several other scale 4x4’s, including a Wraith, and they would be fun for going off on narrow trails, but boring in wide open spaces, gravel roads, etc. I might just thicken the diff fluid in my Stampede 4x4 and stick with it, since it already has a sensored Castle 2400KV system in it.
Also, it might be best to hang back and see if ARRMA comes out with something similar to the Nero, that can both bash and do minor trailing.

I have a summit, actually got it a week after it was released (shes very old) it has it quirks but its a truck ill never get rid of.

its on its 4th rear diff in that time (like 9 or 10 years), currently it sits with basically an erevo conversion, 2.0 body with quick release, 2.0 wings, bumpers, tires, 1st gear removed.
I have rpm front arms and modded the rpm tru trac kit to fit the truck which has immensely helped bashing durability.

And i have a mamba monster X with 2200kv 1515 motor setup in it geared 22/54 (does about 58mph on 4s). with the slipper cracked so it slips lightly on take off and 80% punch control ive logged many many successful hours of bashing. I love it for rough terrain because the long travel and high speed is quite fun.

I also have a notorious, senton 6s, and granite 4x4 blx. All of which are no doubt tougher and better handling than the summit, but the summit is just quirky in a good way imo and still very capable of crawing if in sensored mode with the castle setup.

Bottom line, we can't tell you what you'd like, but with some investment the summit can be made into a much more rounded basher/hybrid crawler. I love the trucks mentioned and wouldn't do anything differently

I had a summit and unless you upgrade it it's pretty slow and not a basher at all it's a decent truck for what it does buy for the money i would just buy a notorious ?

Attachments

• 20190304_201221.jpg
    20190304_201221.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 47
I don’t think you will go wrong with either the outcast or Kraton. They would both love to drive on that terrain

Agreed. I’m thinking the Kraton would be best, with its greater stability, especially for the long, open stretches.

I had a summit and unless you upgrade it it's pretty slow and not a basher at all it's a decent truck for what it does buy for the money i would just buy a notorious ?

I went and watched some old Summit videos again, and researched some more, and concluded that any one of my current scale 4x4’s would suffice for the smaller trails at this place. Essentially, this newfound RC playground of mine offers too much terrain variety for one single RC platform. I’ll either bring a crawler and a basher, or choose one activity to engage in. I might even get a mountain bike, or see if my friend still has the one I lent him years ago. It was a nice Klein, from the late 90’s, I think. It had a rack on the rear, and I bought a new rack to mount on the front, so I could put a truck on each one! ?

Agreed. I’m thinking the Kraton would be best, with its greater stability, especially for the long, open stretches.

I went and watched some old Summit videos again, and researched some more, and concluded that any one of my current scale 4x4’s would suffice for the smaller trails at this place. Essentially, this newfound RC playground of mine offers too much terrain variety for one single RC platform. I’ll either bring a crawler and a basher, or choose one activity to engage in. I might even get a mountain bike, or see if my friend still has the one I lent him years ago. It was a nice Klein, from the late 90’s, I think. It had a rack on the rear, and I bought a new rack to mount on the front, so I could put a truck on each one! ?
When i had my t-maxx back in the day id take the rims and tires off and fit it in my backpack (was a large backpack) and i had holes for the A-Arms to stick out of, was kind of a jigsaw puzzle to get the truck out and in, then head to bashing spots on my dirtbike. eventually got a 4-wheeler so i just stuck it on the rack.

With such a diverse area you can run anything. Why narrow it down to one. My vote would be Kraton. It does everything but wouldn't be my choice for crawling.

With such a diverse area you can run anything. Why narrow it down to one. My vote would be Kraton. It does everything but wouldn't be my choice for crawling.

Well, you can’t drive any sort of motorized vehicle past the gate, so anything I’m not wheeling will have to be schlepped along the way. Be easier to choose one RC activity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back