Would you run this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leejax01

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I have a 4S 5000 battery with 30c. Battery is new. Charged fine. Would it work in typical driving situations or would it cause issues not being at least 50c?

to be honest I would - C rating has been skewed so much over the past years that you cant really trust it anyway - when searching for 50C+ for my 700/800 size helicopters hardly any we tested actually had more than true 45C ... different noname, brand names and "premiums" all seemed to fail the tests when using proper measuring devices we had to hand ... I'd say go for it ...

we used the Wayne Giles ESR meter which has been designed built to measure the IR (internal Resistance) of any lipo pack (up to 6S) or a single cell, accurately and to a resolution of 0.3mΩ for a pack and 0.04mΩ for a single cell and it also includes the capability to calculate the C rating - hence most failed - claimed 70C delivering true 34C as an example - not sure how it is for rc cars but on helis you can easily get into areas drawing too much A not being smooth on the stick - I drain a 12S 5000mah stick in 3.15/3.40 minutes with huge peaks so high C ratings have always been the holy grail ... everyone heard of it but no one has ever seen one.

Last edited:
to be honest I would - C rating has been skewed so much over the past years that you cant really trust it anyway - when searching for 50C+ for my 700/800 size helicopters hardly any we tested actually had more than true 45C ... different noname, brand names and "premiums" all seemed to fail the tests when using proper measuring devices we had to hand ... I'd say go for it ...
To add to this.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons

Depends on what you are running it in really. Anything 1/8 buggy and smaller it should be fine, 1/8 truggy and mt might be pushing it.

If you got a good esc it’ll take it. Even a meh esc will be able to run that pack for a while before it goes out.

I'd run it in my 3 or 4s trucks!

I have a 4S 5000 battery with 30c. Battery is new. Charged fine. Would it work in typical driving situations or would it cause issues not being at least 50c?

It depends on your current loading requirements.

This is all on paper here and doesn't really work like this in the real world because the C values are sort of fabricated by each manufacture. But just for fun let's pretend they are all equal.

C rating equates to how much current the battery can deliver and is proportional to the capacity (mah) or size of the battery. Basically if you have a small battery you need a higher C rating to get the same current.

Let's say current requirement for ESC is 160A.

Now using this formula below, we can calculate your battery requirements.
Crating=AESC_req*1000/Bmah or moving stuff around Crating*Bmah/1000=AESC_req

30C/1000*5000mah = 150A
. It actually works out to 32C is required, but with round numbers it will work.

But bigger picture this means 30C @5000mah both can work but a 50C @3200mah can also work.

It depends on your current loading requirements.

This is all on paper here and doesn't really work like this in the real world because the C values are sort of fabricated by each manufacture. But just for fun let's pretend they are all equal.

C rating equates to how much current the battery can deliver and is proportional to the capacity (mah) or size of the battery. Basically if you have a small battery you need a higher C rating to get the same current.

Let's say current requirement for ESC is 160A.

Now using this formula below, we can calculate your battery requirements.
Crating=AESC_req*1000/Bmah or moving stuff around Crating*Bmah/1000=AESC_req

30C/1000*5000mah = 150A
. It actually works out to 32C is required, but with round numbers it will work.

But bigger picture this means 30C @5000mah both can work but a 50C @3200mah can also work.

Double check the last post date before commenting. This conversation/thread was last replied to 2019....

The real problem is that you don't know the C rating of the battery unless you have a load tester. All the advertised numbers ALL OF THEM are wrong.

Double check the last post date before commenting. This conversation/thread was last replied to 2019....

The real problem is that you don't know the C rating of the battery unless you have a load tester. All the advertised numbers ALL OF THEM are wrong.
Oh, it's a very old thread! Not sure how I ended up on that one?

I probably need to stop drinking all that cough syrup in the mornings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back