Typhon WOW - just got it Thursday Broken Spur & Pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Got our Outcast Xmas day and after three runs - broken pinion. Replaced - another broken pinion - 3rd pinion broke along with the spur gear. Got the Typhon THURSDAY - on its 3rd run - Broken Spur and broken pinion. Is it me or ...... No jumps, no crash just another brand new Arrma that breaks after 3/4 runs. I feel like such a fool. Sending this thing back - sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. This is now TWO brand new trucks that break QUICKLY. Getting scared to run them at this point to be honest.

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 191
Got our Outcast Xmas day and after three runs - broken pinion. Replaced - another broken pinion - 3rd pinion broke along with the spur gear. Got the Typhon THURSDAY - on its 3rd run - Broken Spur and broken pinion. Is it me or ...... No jumps, no crash just another brand new Arrma that breaks after 3/4 runs. I feel like such a fool. Sending this thing back - sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. This is now TWO brand new trucks that break QUICKLY. Getting scared to run them at this point to be honest.

Wow! I have a Senton, Typhon, 2 Kratons, a Nero, Fazon, and Big Rock and I have only broken one spur and pinion on my Nero. And that was only cause I didn't check the mesh from the factory but it took a while to break. Sounds like your mesh is off if that many has broken on you. Do you check your mesh from the factory or after you changing it? Sounds like there is too much space between the gears. Too much space adds a lot of stress on the teeth under hard acceleration. When you set the pinion gear and check the mesh with the spur it should barely move, just enough to click. Hope that helps.

Appreciate it ..... I have heard the mesh the mesh the mesh over and over.....Never realized that low paid chinese workers set these up and sometimes - its not right..... I needed up taking out our OutCast and jump ramps to just chill out and calm down..... No worry - already ordered a 50T spur and will just use the optional pinion....

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 69
Its not just the mesh out of the factory, torque can move the motor just enough where pinion mesh gets slightly loose. Even with metal pinion/spur, they will break without a slipper considering how much power and torque go through these machines.

Appreciate it ..... I have heard the mesh the mesh the mesh over and over.....Never realized that low paid chinese workers set these up and sometimes - its not right..... I needed up taking out our OutCast and jump ramps to just chill out and calm down..... No worry - already ordered a 50T spur and will just use the optional pinion....
Do you run a 50t pinion on your arrma typhon?

If you have to order more pinions, the robinson racing pinions are supposed to be really good. I broke my arrma 16 tooth and replaced it with a robinson one.

Set your mesh using a piece of paper between gears until you get the hang of hearing it and by feel. Also make sure your motor mount screw and diff mount screws are tight and loctite them. And make sure your motor screws are tight and a small dab of loctite on them too. Its not just arrma rcs any rcs will have the same issues usually worse because of plastic gears. Arrma makes a tough if not the toughest rtr rcs out there right now. Good luck bud. Don't give up on them. I've been on the same spur and pinions for ever on most of my arrmas. Robinson racing if you want to replace pinions.

If you have to order more pinions, the robinson racing pinions are supposed to be really good. I broke my arrma 16 tooth and replaced it with a robinson one.

I broke an Arrma stock pinion after about 10 runs. I replaced it with a hardened steel pinion from Robinson and zero problems so far.

To be safe, I bought another Robinson pinion and a spare Arrma spur.

There's a lot of power going to these gears with 6S.

just bought a typhon and my gear mesh was off. I never trust the ready to run stuff.i always pull them totally apart before I run them.i always find thing that are not right.

My experience has been broken teeth on spur is from debris/rock jambing. Worn or deformed pinion would indicate mesh issue. All the pinions my Typhon has gone through were broken teeth from small rocks in the chassis..."The Toyz" shroud has really helped about 99%...

My experience has been broken teeth on spur is from debris/rock jambing. Worn or deformed pinion would indicate mesh issue. All the pinions my Typhon has gone through were broken teeth from small rocks in the chassis..."The Toyz" shroud has really helped about 99%...
Is the toys shroud a separate part and if so where can I get one and do u have a picture of it
Thanks in advance

Sorry but I don't recall the PN. I think it was for the Talion or Kraton.
And FWIW, after upgrading to the Outcast tall sides and battery tray, I have not needed to use the shroud...and have not had more broken pinions.
IMG_3189.JPG

And, also, Hot Racing makes one that fits better and has 2 zippers so accessing inside is easier.
I think it was for "Slash LCG"...HTH
20170728_105440.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't recall the PN. I think it was for the Talion or Kraton.
And FWIW, after upgrading to the Outcast tall sides and battery tray, I have not needed to use the shroud...and have not had more broken pinions.
View attachment 18859

And, also, Hot Racing makes one that fits better and has 2 zippers so accessing inside is easier.
I think it was for "Slash LCG"...HTH
View attachment 18860
Thanks for the info

Rrp12xx for robinson racing pinions just put in the tooth number you want in the xx spot.
But in my experience tekno pinions are better. They have a huge set screw that never strips. Just give a tekno pinion a try.
Cool thanks for the info I will check out tekno pinions
Do they have there own website or sold through another company

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back