Typhon Wow, this is a bit much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DalyTek

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
OK, so I started off my journey with a new Typhon 3s. Loved the way it handled and drove, but hated the way it exploded motor bearings. So I got myself a used (somewhat abused) Typhon 6s and have been slowly refurbishing it. Gearing is stock, upgraded a few parts to increase durability, but overall it's built back up as a stock 6s.

I mostly just drive around in the dirt and in the street in front of the house. Took it out yesterday for its first run. Went to do a short speed pass to see how it was doing and it blew apart 3 of the 4 stock tires! This car is also much more difficult to control/handle. I don't need the extreme speed, I'm not racing or trying to join the 100+ mph club. But I would like it to be able to handle it's own speed. I have a new set of Badlands and a new set of Lockups coming. I don't want to blow these new tires out. Would it be better to run it on 4s instead of 6s? Should I change the gearing?

Are the new tires belted? If so 6s will be fine. If not i'd drop the gearing or drop the throttle limit down if it has that available on the remote even. You could run it on 4s as well.

Are the new tires belted? If so 6s will be fine. If not i'd drop the gearing or drop the throttle limit down if it has that available on the remote even. You could run it on 4s as well.
New tires are not belted. What gearing would you recommend?
I can drop the throttle limit to 75% and really like that, but I hate this transmitter, so will be buying a new transmitter/receiver. Most of them don't have that feature, which bums me out.

Also, go through your diffs. 60 front 200 center and 30 rear is what I like with my typhon’s. Cuts down on the tire ballooning with the 60k front and 200center. ?? Typhon is an animal, while your getting used to it a 4s battery with like a 16-18t pinion would set you up well for learning the new rig ??

I can drop the throttle limit to 75% and really like that, but I hate this transmitter, so will be buying a new transmitter/receiver. Most of them don't have that feature, which bums me out.
I can't even remember what the stock pinion was anymore hahaha. Yeah you can go down a couple teeth until you are where you like it. I run 60/1m/30k in my diffs in all my cars, but i also run them on 24/46 gearing with a max6/hobbystar 1730kv motor so i'm not much help with gearing.

That throttle limiter switch is a lame crutch. Better to run 4s, than use that poor excuse for power reduction. 99% of radios don't use a Thr limiter like that. So don't get upset if you don't find them on all upgrade quality radios. It's just another Spektrum gadget novelty item. Leave on 100%. Better yet junk that radio for a full featured radio to properly tune your Thr. down if need be. Watch your Thr. finger. You are just not used to 6s.
I highly recommend 4s. Your tires and drivetrain will thank you. Much more drivable. Too much power is not much fun at all for certain rigs. It wont hook up and blow your tires in the process as you learned. Overpowered is not always "Cool". Especially lighter smaller wheeled rigs like the Typhon 6S. Gain more wheel time on 4s before you drive on 6S. Takes much practice for running 6s on many rigs.
You should drop your ESC punch down. That will help with your jerky Thr finger. Just some ideas. ?‍♂️

Also, go through your diffs. 60 front 200 center and 30 rear is what I like with my typhon’s. Cuts down on the tire ballooning with the 60k front and 200center. ?? Typhon is an animal, while your getting used to it a 4s battery with like a 16-18t pinion would set you up well for learning the new rig ??
When I was going through the whole rig and fixing/replacing stuff, I did this. I have 100K in the front and rear and 800K in center.
That throttle limiter switch is a lame crutch. Better to run 4s, than use that poor excuse for power reduction. 99% of radios don't use a Thr limiter like that. So don't get upset if you don't find them on all upgrade qaulity radios. It's just another Spektrum gadget novelty item. Leave on 100%. Better yet junk that radio for a full featured radio to properly tune your Thr. down if need be. Watch your Thr. finger. You are just not used to 6s.
I highly recommend 4s. Your tires and drivetrain will thank you. Much more drivable. Too much power is not much fun at all for certain rigs. It wont hook up and blow your tires in the process as you learned. Overpowered is not always "Cool". Especially lighter smaller wheeled rigs like the Typhon 6S. Gain more wheel time on 4s before you drive on 6S. Takes much practice for running 6s on many rigs.
This is where my mind was headed. Didn't want to spend the money on a 4S battery if that wouldn't help. I do love the car, it's just so hard to control with the 6s power. I'm sure the old stock wheels didn't help much either. Off to buy a 4s battery! Thanks for the advice guys!

When I was going through the whole rig and fixing/replacing stuff, I did this. I have 100K in the front and rear and 800K in center.

This is where my mind was headed. Didn't want to spend the money on a 4S battery if that wouldn't help. I do love the car, it's just so hard to control with the 6s power. I'm sure the old stock wheels didn't help much either. Off to buy a 4s battery! Thanks for the advice guys!
I probably sounded blunt. Forgive me. But you will truly handle 4s much better. I happen to have many lipos and do run many of my 6s rigs on 4s. Sometimes as a warm up to my 6s packs when I go out for the afternoon bashing. On 4s, you will break less, all while learning the rigs handling. 6s is so fast and strong, that it tends to mask a rigs handling abilities, especially with a new unfamiliar rig. Try 4s, you will quickly understand what I am saying. 4s is also great for smaller areas to bash if you are limited. A baseball diamond for example is great for 4s running. Running the bases etc. Maybe low jumping the Pitcher'smound here and there.
4s is also fun. Enjoy. :cool:

EDIT:
BTW, belted tires are not the best for dirt IMHO. And they are always quite heavier and too rigid traction wise. To prevent diffing out and consequent ballooning, adjust your center diff fluids better to dial out some of it. Maybe 200-300k oil if you haven't done so already. It's Ballooning that bricks the tires most of the time. Much more so on 6s obviously.

Last edited:
With your stated diff oils above.... I think 800k/center is much too thick for a Typhon 6s. 100k Fr/Rr is wrong also. She wont hook up, too thick/locked all around. You lost a lot of steering, and probably undesteers/oversteers, whether on TH or off depending, like a dog. On 6S its just all over the place.
30k fr/300kctr/10k-20k Rr. is what I recommend on the Typhon. Others may chime in with what they think is best.
>>>> With your current 3 diff weights and all, you are best served with putting a set of Hoons on it and Speed Running it in a straight line. ?‍♂️
Not to joke, maybe you should try that... Speed running it on 6s (y)

Yes, I was going to say the same thing on diff weights. Way too thick.. for my typhon’s with the shorter wheelbase I like 200k in the center, 60 up front and 20-30 in the rear. This should be a winning combo.

I have the Typhon S6 V5:

When I run it on the street which has concrete curbs on both sides I set my SLT3 radio to 50%, install my road tires (DBoots Hoons) and run a 4S 100C battery

When I run it off road, I set my radio to 100%, run my dirt tires and use either my 4S or 6S battery

I personally don't see the need to change gearing or diff oil but your driving style and location maybe different

The manual states 7,000cst in the Typhon differentials, but I keep seeing everyone recommending various weights that are all over the map.
The 100K/800K/100K was recommended by the majority of people in an Arrma group when I was researching, so I went with that.
Is there any harm in switching it back to the recommended 7K and running it on 4s?

7,000cst front and rear, 10,000cst for the center differential for the Typhon V5

I did my first rebuild of the 3 differentials last week, looked normal to me, did not need any new shims (center diff had a little more wear, center diff star gears may need new shims on the next go round)

Refilled with 7k,10k, 7k

Using too thick of an oil can cause damage as well, not just on the differentials

I'm new to Arrma so take my advice with a grain of salt but for now I'm going to run with the factory recommendations and see where it takes me

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back