Kraton Woyster’s Arrma Kraton 6s BLX Build Log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
This is my first Arrma RC and my first build log. No big modifications so far, more of a pre-bash bulletproofing to ensure I don’t break anything straight away.

Unboxing…wow, this thing is a beast!

Unboxing 1.jpg
Unboxing 2.jpg
Unboxing 3.jpg
Unboxing 4.jpg
Unboxing 5.jpg

2 x SMC True Spec DV 11.1V 3s 5200mAh 75C hardcase LiPo batteries.

SMC.jpg

Overall picture with all pre-bash items to be installed.

Overall pre-bash.jpg

Applied drywall tape and ShoeGoo to the underside of the shell to strengthen the body and extend its life.

ShoeGoo 1.jpg
ShoeGoo 2.jpg
ShoeGoo 3.jpg

ShoeGoo 4.jpg

Replaced stock bearings with AVID RC sealed bearing kit throughout vehicle.

Bearings.jpg
Avid bearing.jpg

Fabricated longer wheel hub hex shafts from old allen keys, then slotted the wheels using an oscillating tool. This keeps the hexes from spinning within the wheels.

Hub Hex 1.jpg
Hub Hex 2.jpg

Tightened servo saver by placing two 9/16” snap rings under the spring.

Servo Saver 1.jpg
Servo Saver 2.jpg

Ooof! Hasn’t been run yet and I’ve already pulled it apart…hope it goes back together again.

Apart 1.jpg
Apart 2.jpg

Disassembled all three differentials changing fluids (60k front / 300k center / 30k rear), adding Mugen Seiki E0206 shims to the internals (1 large shim behind each planetary gear, 1 small shim behind each of the satellite gears (front & rear diff), and 1 small shim behind one satellite gear on each side (center diff)), and adding TEKNO RC TKR1222 13x16x.1mm shims (2 front / 3 rear) between the bearing and the diff housing. All three differentials were low on fluid, especially the center diff that barely had anything inside. Regreased front and rear differential pinion and main gears with red general purpose grease.

Front diff 1.jpg
Front diff 2.jpg
Center diff.jpg
Rear diff.jpg

To prevent ballooning of the tires, vented each tire in 4 locations (at 0°/90°/180°/270°) using 1/8” brass tubing sharpened with an exacto knife, covered the holes inside the wheels with Gorilla tape, then strapped the tires using black heavy weight braided fishing line threaded through the lugs using a large needle and pliers. I followed this video to strap the tires

VS 1.jpg
VS 2.jpg
VS 3.jpg
VS 4.jpg

Replaced stock droop screws with Arrma 4x10mm button head screws, ARA727410. These have allen heads on both the button head and inside the screw shaft to allow for tightening. Benefit is a larger contact point with the chassis, resulting is less damage to the chassis. Correctly adjusting the droop relieves pressure from the lower shock mounts and should result in less breakage of that part.

Droop 1.jpg
Droop 2.jpg
Droop 3.jpg
Droop 4.jpg

Installed RPM front bumpers on both front and rear, RPM81472, along with Arrma wheelie bar, ARA320366.

Bumper 1.jpg
Bumper 2.jpg

Installed Surpass Hobby 30mm Rocket motor fan and heat sink. Routed wire under the ESC and plugged into the 3rd channel of the receiver.

Fan.jpg

Drilled through motor wire holder and installed zip tie to hold wires in place.

Wire mgmt.jpg

Installed LiPo low-voltage cutout alarm to the center body support bracket.

LiPo alarm.jpg

Checked tightness of all screws.

Took it for a bash. This thing is a monster! Only complaints are the stock STX2 radio transmitter lag (working with Horizon Hobby for a replacement, otherwise will upgrade) and the amount of grass and dirt that accumulated around the rear driveshafts and inside the chassis (plan to fabricate some guards using .060” lexan sheet).

All-in-all I feel the pre-bash work was well worth the effort. I’ll post updates as further modifications / upgrades are made.

Last edited:
Cool man. Most people on the forum are building up sick EXBs, so you may not get a lot of hits on your thread.

On a V4 myself....I just keep beatin’ on her and she keeps smiling back ?. Upgrading along the way. I eBay’d the stock transmitter pretty quick. Got a FlySky GT5 (I think). Works perfect. Have fun “breaking” it in. Be prepared for a lot of wrenching. ??

I like your preventive maintenance suggestions. How long did it take to thread all the tires? I think that is great but I'm not sure I have the patience/time for that. LOL. Did you you thread to save money or do you prefer this over belted tires? I've read a little about belted tires and see some people complain they are too stiff. Your thoughts?

I like your preventive maintenance suggestions. How long did it take to thread all the tires? I think that is great but I'm not sure I have the patience/time for that. LOL. Did you you thread to save money or do you prefer this over belted tires? I've read a little about belted tires and see some people complain they are too stiff. Your thoughts?
Hmmm...well I'd say it probably took about an hour per tire, at least. It was rather tedious. I figured I'd try and save the stock tires from shredding. Would I do it again...probably not. I noticed today after a bashing that some of the wraps are loose, not quite sure how. So I'll just go with it until it doesn't work anymore then move on to something else.

I've also found that even on stock gearing, in 90°F plus Texas temperatures, I'm going to need more cooling than a single fan on my motor and the stock ESC fan. I was surprised today when my Kraton went into thermal mode after maybe 2/3rds of a 6s pack...motor was just over 180°F, don't remember what the ESC was at, not what I wanted to see. I'm now looking at options for a dual fan setup on the motor and upgrading to something that blows a little more air on the ESC. I'm not wanting the crazy expensive setups that require an auxiliary 3s battery on board either.

I live in a stupid hot climate too. I typically drop a tooth on a pinion to reduce temp and get bigger fans too. They are not all created equally. I recently bought an Integy 40mm 17k rpm fan with heatsink (#c28598black) for my 1/10 scale 36mm motors. I imagine they have bigger clamps for the Arrma motors. It is a thicker bigger fan. I was shocked how much air it moved. I also have it plugged in to my BEC on my Rock Rey. The added voltage also boosts the fan. Something to think about. I did the BEC because of the super high torque servo. I may go this route for the Kraton too since it has huge tires and is a rocket.

I believe the better Castle esc's offer adjustable bec's so thats another perk of upgrading. The cost of the bec and servo harness ad up anyways. Something to think about.

Few updates...took care of my only two complaints from my initial bashing...

I noticed I was having transmitter lag with the stock STX2 radio transmitter. I contacted Horizon Hobby to see what they would do. After what seemed like blowing me off at first, I received an e-mail stating that a replacement was being sent. Yesterday I received a new Spektrum DX3 transmitter and SR315 receiver. After swapping them out and going for a quick test drive, I can say things are much, much better.

DX3.jpg

I have also addressed the grass and dirt that gets thrown from the front tires and accumulates around the rear driveshafts. I purchased some .063" thick Lexan and fabricated some custom mud guards. I haven't had a chance to test them out yet, but I think they turned out pretty good.

Lexan.jpg

Left 1.jpg
Left 2.jpg
Left 3.jpg
Left 4.jpg
Left 5.jpg

Right 1.jpg
Right 2.jpg
Right 3.jpg
Right 4.jpg

I've also ordered a dual Powerhobby fan and heatsink setup for the motor along with an upgraded 35mm Powerhobby fan for the ESC. I had an overheating issue in our 90°F+ Texas heat and hopefully this will fix the issue. I will report back when received and installed.

Nice build brother ?? Sending out a dx3 for that is epic. I’ve never heard of them doing this before... I can’t even get em to send me my exb warranty parts ??... I’ve been slid 4 times now.. they were supposed to be here by the end of aug... haha ..nice one dude ...

New fans arrived and installed. For the motor, Powerhobby Heat Sink with dual 30mm Turbo High Speed Cooling Fans. And for the ESC, Powerhobby 35mm Ultra High Speed Cooling Fan. I also purchased some stainless steel woven wire 20 mesh sheets from Amazon and made some guards for the motor fans. All seem to be providing my more air flow over my previous setup (stock ESC fan and single motor fan).

IMG_20201026_083027.jpg

I noticed the banding on a few of my tires were messed up as well. One tire, the bands were broke; on another, they were causing some tire deformation. Decided it was best to remove the banding from all the tires. Hopefully all goes well on the next bash session.

So with Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and all, I haven't had a chance to be on the forum much, so I thought an update was in order. For the most part, things are working well.

My battery tray broke so that was replaced. This time instead of removing the slider in order to fit 2 x 3s batteries, I made the slot in the tray bigger allowing the slider to raise up another few millimeters. Now it helps to keep the batteries in place without putting undue stress on the tray. After purchasing a new battery tray and removing the old one, I modified the old one using a nail then slotted the tray in the same way as the new one. Should work great as a backup if I end up breaking another tray.

PXL_20210202_213057452.jpg
PXL_20210202_213108143.jpg
PXL_20210202_213125484.jpg
PXL_20210202_213333477.jpg

I picked up a set of SRC Road Crushers for parking lot bashing. This will keep my stock Copperheads intact for off-road bashing.

IMG_20201106_184344.jpg

My stock servo bit the dust. I replaced it with one of the blue 35kg servos from Amazon and so far, so good. Horizon Hobby did replace the stock servo under warranty so I've decided to keep it as an emergency backup.

IMG_20201120_124554.jpg
IMG_20201120_124605.jpg

Then while trying to diagnose some steering issues, I noticed the upper front suspension arm mount was cracked. I upgraded to the M2C upper hinge pin block.

PXL_20201218_002110952.jpg
PXL_20210202_212746946.jpg

Next parking lot session, I sheared a tooth on the stock pinion. In the parking lot, I installed the speed pinion provided in the box. New parking lot plus I wasn't prepared for just how much faster it would be on the speed pinion and I ended up crashing into a curb at an absurd speed. Two screws pulled through my RPM front bumper and the Arrma front bumper that was located under the RPM bumper was destroyed with one mounting screw sheared off (had fun removing that one). Both lower front suspension arm mounts were broke and one a-arm pin was bent. Additionally the chassis was bent but I think it is salvageable (at least until it gets upgraded as well). I've ordered the M2C front hinge pin support system and I'm out of commission waiting for the parts.

While out of commission, I decided to undergo some cleaning and to take apart the differentials and see how they were doing. All oils were a silvery, dark-milky mess so I've cleaned them all up. Unfortunately I did find that one of the drive pins in the rear differential broke into three pieces. Not sure if this was due to the crash, or if I caught it before it grenaded the entire diff. 2.25mm tool steel drill blanks are being ordered as I type this post.

PXL_20210103_164940281.jpg
PXL_20210103_184147799~2.jpg
PXL_20210103_184305616.jpg

Until next time.....

Last edited:
I received my M2C Front Hinge Pin Support System yesterday and attempted to install it last night. After a bit of head scratching, I determined that the B-block wasn't right so I contacted Mitch at M2C. Turns out the B-block I received missed a machining operation and ended up with radiused instead of sharp corners, and therefore wouldn't fit. They have sent out a replacement part.

PXL_20210104_232624113.jpg
PXL_20210104_234221542.jpg

I've also ordered some 2.25mm and 2.3mm tool steel drill blanks from McMaster-Carr that should arrive tomorrow to cut and use as upgraded diff pins.

So I received both the replacement M2C part and the tool steel drill blanks. Everything was reassembled on the somewhat straightened chassis, however even with the steering reset prior to the bash session, the car was drifting and very difficult to drive (one pass it would pull right, another left). I also discovered that my rear shock tower was bowed and all four shock tower mounting bolts were bent. So I found a forum member selling some EXB parts and decided to purchase those. I also found a guy selling all the screws and shock tower mounts from a V5, so I purchased those to replace some bent screws and to have some backups.

PXL_20210127_234441663.jpg
PXL_20210127_234445776.jpg
PXL_20210127_234454293.jpg
PXL_20210127_223805338.jpg
PXL_20210202_020858247.jpg
PXL_20210202_020923071.jpg
PXL_20210202_020946626.jpg
PXL_20210202_021839159.jpg

I also followed a recommendation I found to use some Tinnerman Washers on my RPM bumper to reinforce the screw holes.

PXL_20210127_234624389.jpg

I just finished getting everything back together on Monday night and haven't had a chance to run it yet. I'm hoping my issues have been solved.

Nice build brother ?? Sending out a dx3 for that is epic. I’ve never heard of them doing this before... I can’t even get em to send me my exb warranty parts ??... I’ve been slid 4 times now.. they were supposed to be here by the end of aug... haha ..nice one dude ...
They sent me a tactic replacement remote for mine on my V4. It works great. I have now switched that one out to a Dumbo which has awesome response and range.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back