WTF HAPPENED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greengaunja

Ise da by' dat burns da Senton........
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Senton 3s
Back to square one.

Dad blasted mother f@#&!€;$×@

20210831_235755.jpg

20210831_235759.jpg

20210831_235833.jpg

20210831_235859.jpg

20210831_235913.jpg

20210831_235925.jpg

I don't get it.... set her up like always turned it on. But as soon as I turned on transmitter, she took full power, smacked that curb, cartwheel against the tree screaming and spinning tires, showering dirt everywhere...
20210901_000349.jpg
20210901_000357.jpg
20210901_000404.jpg
20210901_000538.jpg
20210901_000548.jpg
20210901_000615.jpg
20210901_000610.jpg
20210901_000734.jpg

20210901_000512.jpg

16304695428769158601662053203814.jpg
16304695428769158601662053203814.jpg

Wow, sorry about this. Do you know what happened?
If we had a photo contest those first two would get my vote for this week.
Wish I knew...
Just waiting to see if the lipos are done with their little tantrum so I can pack up and head home. Grown men don't cry in public

Last edited:
All I know is the lipos didn't cause this. What you see in pics isn't anything. The smoke was MUCH worse. That's maybe 60-80 meters away from my truck, where I was setting up. It didn't flame though. The flash took away what I and 3 guys from the gas station in background saw. A fierce bright red glow. Gas jockey called for a firetruck. The cop called it off after seeing it was "under control"(sparing me further embarrassment). One of the guys who came over was pumping gas said they heard it long before they saw smoke. Other two were in his car. I'm guessing the throttle overloaded everything, melted battery solder, and shorted. Just my guess. Gas jockey said he thought the back of the store/station was on fire.
I feel like a college chick enduring the walk of shame....
Going to assume electronics are FUBAR.
And to think I was excited to introduce the newest addition any day now...

Never ever ever EVER turn the receiver on without the transmitter being on first. Just like @jondilly1974 stated.
Never seen carnage like this but not unheard of. 99% of the time there is no issue turning on the receiver standalone, an additional 0.9% of the time you just see some small movements. You are in the exception phase.
My educated guess, the ESC/receiver could not process the bind process and interpreted it as full throttle. Full throttle into an obstacle caused lipo damage and the rest is the smoke fest.
Unless they have fire damage, your electronics might still be ok but don't just blindly plug everything back in.
Inspect everything first.
Test the receiver just with a servo connected. Ideally with a standalone BEC or different ESC.
Test the ESC with a 2 or 3S low C lipo and make damn sure that you can disconnect it quickly. No motor attached, nothing should happen and you won't hear any beeps, just a red LED flashing.
Last, try the motor with this same ESC. Now you should hear beeps etc.

My guess, they will all work just fine but do all this outside your rig and physically outside the house.

WoW, I am sorry for your loss. Hope you can recover most of the truck. I think Every person that plays with RC’s will have some sort of electronic failure on their RC. This is why it is so IMPORTANT to have failsafe’s setup. Even then, things like this can still happen.

Hope to see you out and about soon!!

Never ever ever EVER turn the receiver on without the transmitter being on first. Just like @jondilly1974 stated.
Never seen carnage like this but not unheard of. 99% of the time there is no issue turning on the receiver standalone, an additional 0.9% of the time you just see some small movements. You are in the exception phase.
My educated guess, the ESC/receiver could not process the bind process and interpreted it as full throttle. Full throttle into an obstacle caused lipo damage and the rest is the smoke fest.
Unless they have fire damage, your electronics might still be ok but don't just blindly plug everything back in.
Inspect everything first.
Test the receiver just with a servo connected. Ideally with a standalone BEC or different ESC.
Test the ESC with a 2 or 3S low C lipo and make damn sure that you can disconnect it quickly. No motor attached, nothing should happen and you won't hear any beeps, just a red LED flashing.
Last, try the motor with this same ESC. Now you should hear beeps etc.

My guess, they will all work just fine but do all this outside your rig and physically outside the house.
I hear you. My Redcat Blackout ALWAYS took off if truck was turned on before transmitter or transmitter turned off first. I was in the habit of doing as you stated, even with BLX 185. But I got lazy with the Max 6 and put too much trust into its failsafe. Another reason is switching over models. For some reason, my Radiolink will only switch model settings(can change it from model one to two but settings don't apply until switched off and on) if turned off and on and I had just finished off a pack in the 3s. As of now, I'd be content to know where the failure was. Esc or receiver? Did the receiver do as you said or did the failsafe fail?
I still have my BLX 185 and 2050kv to use to test and sadly had an incoming TP 4050 1950kv(sailpropellorusa on ebay felt this would be idea and an improvement on 1650kv considering I wanted a bit more acceleration but not enough to start popping front end up again)

Last edited:
Crap just happens like this. Sorry for your loss. I really liked your setup and all. Sweet.
Although this will cost you, like all RC rigs, it can be fixed.
I noticed it was a Zee 5200 you had there. I have oldish tempermental Zee packs that I am skeptical using anymore. Funny that as of late most of my Lipos are getting up in age now and are failing. One by one I have been putting them out to pasture. Time to cycle them out and buy new.
Even a poor balance connector ( dead short) circuit of a lipo can play havoc with your ESC. Sometimes Fail Safe wont work out of no where. WHen It did prior times before. But yeah radio on first... radio off last. don't know if that was even your issue? Was it?
Again sorry. I would cry too if that was my beloved Mojo for sure.:cry:

My guess, your receiver told the ESC to do stupid things. This assumes that fail-safe was programmed right, but that is hard to do wrong.
A simple receiver glitch that caused the chain reaction, busted lipo was just bad luck on top of it.

Update^ might not be as bad as I thought. LHS might warranty it. They agree, radio first and last always but also said failsafe did fail. And was set up properly. Currently they have it in shop and will do some tests. Will know more tomorrow. Damage seems confined to side rails, some wires, and esc battery leads. Scorched fenders fine. Body fine. May have to replace body fans and lights due to wires melting. But they were damned impressed with my setup and the fact that it worked. If esc was at fault, motor may be replaced too.
Another buddy did a simple test with 3s. Servo works, esc responsive(lights). Just not turning motor and possibly because it's going into lvc because it's set for 8s. But at least pulli
20210901_141621.jpg
20210901_141625.jpg
20210901_141647.jpg
20210901_141714.jpg
ng trigger is showing a response.
20210901_141616.jpg

20210901_141717.jpg

Will be surprised if motor rotor isn't FUBAR. Was full throttle for at least 2/3 minutes.

Screenshot_20210901-155354_Samsung Internet.jpg

My guess, your receiver told the ESC to do stupid things. This assumes that fail-safe was programmed right, but that is hard to do wrong.
A simple receiver glitch that caused the chain reaction, busted lipo was just bad luck on top of it.
One thing in my favour here is, program card was bought from lhs and they programmed it for me to show me how it's done properly. No issue there. They just said Horizon will want them to test first before warranting it due to cost and possible motor damage

Last edited:
I remember my 185 ESC fire. Man did this rig stink of fire for months. Stunk up the whole house. I sent it back to HH in the original box and placed rig inside a large inner garbage bag. When I dropped it off at UPS they even asked why it stinks. Sealed and all. Even after HH took it back and replaced parts costing as much as a whole new Noto. It still had the smell. Hopefully none of your upgrade parts were compromised. HH is not liabe for that damage unfortunately. They wont even consider a damaged Lipo their responsibility. They asked me to remove all of my upgrades and send as is without them. They then sent me it back with all new OE parts as a complete running truck. Had extra parts as a result. HH did right by me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back