Kraton WTF is the secret?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His question was about the o-ring popping out when it is almost all the way in, not how to start the nut.

If nut is not properly inserted, it’ll cause problems. That means installing it properly from the get-go will eliminatte doubt should something go wrong. Mechanics 101. Rather than giving such useless feedback, try contributing to the problem at hand.

If nut is not properly inserted, it’ll cause problems. That means installing it properly from the get-go will eliminatte doubt should something go wrong. Mechanics 101. Rather than giving such useless feedback, try contributing to the problem at hand.
You obviously haven't read through the posts in this thread either. Maybe you should if you think I didn't contribute. I will wait.

Just take it off and you have the V3 version ?

Was there a legitimate problem with the V3 backing out? Or were they just attempting to fix a non existent problem?

Was there a legitimate problem with the V3 backing out? Or were they just attempting to fix a non existent problem?
It backed out. What most people did is wrap it in Teflon tape. Problem solved.

I have a fair amount of mechanic experience. The nut was not cross threaded. In fact, I threaded it by hand all the way to the point that I could no longer get a hold of it with my fingertips. Then, before it even got tight on the ball joint, the rubber O ring would slide off the end.

I have a fair amount of mechanic experience. The nut was not cross threaded. In fact, I threaded it by hand all the way to the point that I could no longer get a hold of it with my fingertips. Then, before it even got tight on the ball joint, the rubber O ring would slide off the end.
I've had the same issue. And despite proper o-ring seating it still popped out. I like some of the options here, I think I'll definitely try wrapping with plumbers tape, but I think the cross drilled hole is an even better solution.

Another option that some have chosen to do instead of thread tape is to drill and tap a hole perpendicular to the pivot ball nut hole and run a set screw in to lock the nut in place.

I think @olds97_lss has done this?
No, I used thread tape. I've used that trick for retaining hinge pins in other trucks though. ;)

His question was about the o-ring popping out when it is almost all the way in, not how to start the nut.
I know my post wasn't in direct response to his post but it is still good advice, I can't remember who I stole the idea from though. But I was having a hell of a time trying to get mine started after I bought new hubs and someone suggested that I put some electric tape on the hex tool so the pillow ball retainer had something to hold it in place and it does indeed make installing them way easier. So I figured I would chime in with this advice as it is helpful when working with the pillow ball retainers.

Another option that some have chosen to do instead of thread tape is to drill and tap a hole perpendicular to the pivot ball nut hole and run a set screw in to lock the nut in place.

I think @olds97_lss has done this?
That's innovative but it locks the retainer into one spot unless you plan on 'pinning it' in a new spot with every adjustment. Not that your balls will always need adjusting but every now and again you just gotta free 'em up or give 'em a squeeze, kapeesh?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back