x-maxx purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There has been some subtle running updates on the newer xmaxx's also. For example if you get a new build, I hear they come with the large hub bearings all around which is why people buy the RPM hubs. (It's a cheap upgrade if you do get an older one without the larger bearings.) Also the later one's have less ESC fire issues it seems.
Good Luck!
Hurricane

what about a DB XL-E 2.0? or a udr?
I don't have xmaxx but I have more than 70 percent of Traxxas cars they made. Do yourself a favor and go for xmaxx 8s. They have better drivetrain and better tires. It's ok to buy used if price is 600 or lower and they are in good shape. I would stay away from modded trucks with different tires, different electronics, bodies, most likely they were abused. If a car is 100% stock and there is no a lot of scratches on the skid plate and not broken body, than go for it.

UDR is an awesome truck but it's not for everyone. It's not for jumping, and it's not easy to drive because it has locked rear diff, it flips all the time on fight traction surfaces.

There has been some subtle running updates on the newer xmaxx's also. For example if you get a new build, I hear they come with the large hub bearings all around which is why people buy the RPM hubs. (It's a cheap upgrade if you do get an older one without the larger bearings.) Also the later one's have less ESC fire issues it seems.
Good Luck!
Hurricane
I just got a new xmaxx for Christmas. It has the small bearing hubs out of the box. So not sure about that. I actually ordred the RPM hubs before I even opened the box tho👍

Go with the 8S truck. I converted my original 6S truck to 8S when Traxxas was launching the power up kits for the conversion at the time to those of us that bought the 6S truck. It’s a much better truck as others above have mentioned. You get beefier and better drive axles, drive cups, diffs, kush drive system instead of a slipper, better pinion drives to the diff along with center axle.

Now depending what your looking at, used can be a bargain. I just bought a used one and it needed a new front bulkhead and few things but these trucks are extremely easy to work on and parts especially from say Jenny’s are very well priced and often well stocked. The truck splits into 3 modular sections when working on it. I find used trucks like others mention do sell for a lot of money. But that is a nice thing about the truck if you get it, it holds a good resale value.

Mine has RPM front and rear large bearing carriers, hot racing steering servo horn and linkage, a Max6 esc and stock 8S motor. The esc has a RC customs 4S powered cooling fan and the motor has a nice Integy dual fan setup. It’s geared 20/50. Its ran like this for years with not many issues. I recently redid all the bearings with a fast eddy set but that’s about it.

I just got a new xmaxx for Christmas. It has the small bearing hubs out of the box. So not sure about that. I actually ordred the RPM hubs before I even opened the box tho👍
Good to know... Probably depends when it was built. My LHS can't keep them in stock for long but maybe where you got yours had different stock. Like I said it's a cheap upgrade. $6 for 7737X and some larger bearings. The rear RPM hubs are good but the front RPM steering blocks/hubs the flexibility of the front hubs is too much and can cause problems. Check out Earl Moorehead's videos on the RPM front hubs.
Enjoy your new Xmaxx!
Hurricane
P.S. try 20/50 gearing if using stock electronics

Good to know... Probably depends when it was built. My LHS can't keep them in stock for long but maybe where you got yours had different stock. Like I said it's a cheap upgrade. $6 for 7737X and some larger bearings. The rear RPM hubs are good but the front RPM steering blocks/hubs the flexibility of the front hubs is too much and can cause problems. Check out Earl Moorehead's videos on the RPM front hubs.
Enjoy your new Xmaxx!
Hurricane
P.S. try 20/50 gearing if using stock electronics
Thanks for the tips👍 You may be right on the updated hubs. Got mine from Vortex hobbies AZ. No tax, but paid $40 for shipping.
I have heard about the front RPM hub issues. Unfortunately not till after I bought em.. they're on now. $6 for the updated TRX parts so no biggie. Gonna order them when I need something else.
Gonna run everything else stock for now. I have a max6 in my kexb. So tempted to drop it in the Xmike just for the extra punch..
My bro has had an xmaxx for about 6 months. Broke a front arm but that's it, that was operator error tho. I do like the truck, love that it actually drives like one too👍

Me want new Xmaxx, should have got it 6 months ago when I could have got one $850 OTD. 😫

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back