XLX Discontinued?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crewchief227

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
So I was cruising thru Castle's site, doing a little window shopping ? for a MMX8S, when I noticed that the XLX isn't even an option to buy on backorder as it says "Not Available". Did Castle pull the plug on the XLX because of the MMX8S??

That would suck for all the speed run guys out there. I really want to switch to Castle as I just burnt up my 3rd Max6 doing absolutely nothing. I mean it, my son and I were doing some street bashing before Mom came home from work. I put up my rig till after dinner. Then I plug her back in, hit the button to turn her on, and she starts to chime the motor when BOOM! Not magic smoke, full on cutting touch flames come shooting out the heatsink, just by the leds and "B" motor cup. I thought a cap pack went up. Nope, not that, not the motor, not the batteries, just the Max6.?

So I'm done with Hobbywing. Trying to sell a unlocked, pretty great condition Galaxy S9 on Let Go so that I can buy a MMX8S. I would call Hobbywing, but I hate their customer support, they're rude, and have a crap warranty anyways. If like the last time I spoke to them "they have such a low failure rate, it has to be my fault" then they should offer a decent warranty.??

Ok, seriously though, is Castle starting to capsize cause I think we all need them right now. ??

So I was cruising thru Castle's site, doing a little window shopping ? for a MMX8S, when I noticed that the XLX isn't even an option to buy on backorder as it says "Not Available". Did Castle pull the plug on the XLX because of the MMX8S??

That would suck for all the speed run guys out there. I really want to switch to Castle as I just burnt up my 3rd Max6 doing absolutely nothing. I mean it, my son and I were doing some street bashing before Mom came home from work. I put up my rig till after dinner. Then I plug her back in, hit the button to turn her on, and she starts to chime the motor when BOOM! Not magic smoke, full on cutting touch flames come shooting out the heatsink, just by the leds and "B" motor cup. I thought a cap pack went up. Nope, not that, not the motor, not the batteries, just the Max6.?

So I'm done with Hobbywing. Trying to sell a unlocked, pretty great condition Galaxy S9 on Let Go so that I can buy a MMX8S. I would call Hobbywing, but I hate their customer support, they're rude, and have a crap warranty anyways. If like the last time I spoke to them "they have such a low failure rate, it has to be my fault" then they should offer a decent warranty.??

Ok, seriously though, is Castle starting to capsize cause I think we all need them right now. ??
Castle was acquired last year I believe and they may be doing some chair shuffling? The XLX is likely getting a redesign. They have said the MMX8S is NOT a replacement for the XLX, as the XLX is still the top performer.

Castle was acquired last year I believe and they may be doing some chair shuffling? The XLX is likely getting a redesign. They have said the MMX8S is NOT a replacement for the XLX, as the XLX is still the top performer.
Yes I know that was their original statement, and I'm guessing we'll see a XLX cryo in the very near future. ? You'll probably be the first to get one. ?

My question is if there is an XLXII, what improvements would you like to see, besides firmware 178 out the box?
I would like to see better shock & moisture protection. Like better support on the caps, perhaps a board coming out the case to orient them vertically. Leading to less internal cap failures. At the end of that board would be user serviceable main lead posts that are easier for peeps to solder their own leads & caps. I know an XLX already has a pretty serviceable layout compared to other brands ? Hobbywing. Better thermal coupling of the fets to the heatsink. And ultimately a smaller footprint.? @castlecreations you listening?

We have heard a few times that there is a new XLX replacement coming. I suspect the time is near!

If I were a betting man, Id say it will be a MMX8s on the inside (might not look like it from the outside) adding a few more FETs for higher power handling, larger heatsink, and 8mm connectors.
The MMX8s is such a great ESC, those would be the only things needed to take it up a notch. Maybe also a good fan!

Yes I know that was their original statement, and I'm guessing we'll see a XLX cryo in the very near future. ? You'll probably be the first to get one. ?

My question is if there is an XLXII, what improvements would you like to see, besides firmware 178 out the box?
I would like to see better shock & moisture protection. Like better support on the caps, perhaps a board coming out the case to orient them vertically. Leading to less internal cap failures. At the end of that board would be user serviceable main lead posts that are easier for peeps to solder their own leads & caps. I know an XLX already has a pretty serviceable layout compared to other brands ? Hobbywing. Better thermal coupling of the fets to the heatsink. And ultimately a smaller footprint.? @castlecreations you listening?
I never bought an XLX because the rig I was running was too small at the time. By the time I went 1/8 scale, the MMX8S came out. ??‍♂️??

The MMX8S is a beast. I love it. I don't race with it, I speed run and parking lot bash. It's a decent size, not unecessarily large. I cannot say enough good things about it. I wouldn't even bother with a XLX. My goal is 140. I think I can get it with the MMX8S and some motor swaps. The XLX is huge. A long time friend of mine runs one.

Yep I called it first! @castlecreations ? where's mine! ?‍♂️ I've blown up three Max6s I dare you to let me try to blow up one of yours. ????
yep I watched Raz's before coming here, I'll wait till tomorrow to watch the rest. Till then I'm going to dream of XLX2s dancing in my head.?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back