XLX2/1100kv - weird failure (smokeless)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stock20

Reaction score
Kraton 8s - 30t/47t
Was doing some smooth accel, medium/fast speed passes on a large parking lot yesterday. First pair of batteries went great. (I have 4x GensBass 11Ah, 100C, QS8 for everything)

10min into second pack I let off the throttle, it rolled to a stop and that was it. No throttle response. Thinking the end was nigh, I ran to it and quickly disconnected the batteries. All electrical components looked fine. (No melting, smoldering). Tested batteries I was using and all 8 cells still >4v. Both batteries had a temp around 70F. QS8 connectors were similar. Motor and ESC both less than 100F. (All tested with temp gun)

Got it home on the bench. Tried both pairs of batteries with same results. The audible beeps for cell count/arming are so soft I can hardly hear.

No throttle response from dead stop - sometimes it'll jerk awake and then throttle works normally. Steering and motor fans work fine. ESC LED double beep indicates Start Fail.

Then I tried without the sensor cable and all was well - motor starts right up every time with some occasional cogging. However, beeps from ESC/Motor are still super quiet.

ESC data log from session incident occurred:
Max amps: 200
Max ESC temp: 99F
Max motor temp: 117F
Max voltage 38.2v(!). A blip right near the end.

Isn't there unofficial consensus that the XLX2 is suited for speed running? Seems like my driving style so far is a low-key version of that. (I haven't gotten this rig airborne yet).

XLX2 can be ticking time bombs. I had one die in my dbxl in under 10 mins of the first pack. It was brand new replacement from castle themselves. Maybe your sensor cable is damaged somehow? I also always recommend to wipe the data log after you've viewed it whenever you're having problems. I've had data logs bug out on 2 different occasions causing my esc to not function correctly until I wiped em. Data logs weren't even full but wiping them still fixed it.

Just an idea to keep in mind!

XLX2 can be ticking time bombs. I had one die in my dbxl in under 10 mins of the first pack. It was brand new replacement from castle themselves. Maybe your sensor cable is damaged somehow? I also always recommend to wipe the data log after you've viewed it whenever you're having problems. I've had data logs bug out on 2 different occasions causing my esc to not function correctly until I wiped em. Data logs weren't even full but wiping them still fixed it.

Just an idea to keep in mind!
Have not tried that yet, thanks! (I did try re-flashing latest firmware, which to my surprise maintained the previous log)

I’ve have the same issue with one of my original XLX2. I don’t use castle motors, anymore. But both of my 1717 1260 and 1650 had sensor wiring issues castle blame fault on bad soldering 😂 even though you don’t solder sensor wires.. regardless I am having some of these issues with all my TP motors. I’ve wiped logs etc… I’m just chalking it up to a bad xlx2

I’ve have the same issue with one of my original XLX2. I don’t use castle motors, anymore. But both of my 1717 1260 and 1650 had sensor wiring issues castle blame fault on bad soldering 😂 even though you don’t solder sensor wires.. regardless I am having some of these issues with all my TP motors. I’ve wiped logs etc… I’m just chalking it up to a bad xlx2
I'm trying to decide if I send just the XLX2 to Castle or also include the motor.

I'm trying to decide if I send just the XLX2 to Castle or also include the motor.
Well. They won’t charge you to “check” to see if it’s the xlx2 or the motor.
My experience with the 1717 motors was unplug the sensor wire and go.. but if possible video and data log photos if possible. Might help us better…. But I know why my xlx2 died. Since it happened to my other one as well. I had some SMC batteries that came undone and spark. Got lucky once and repaired it just to happen again and then killed the xlx2 in my V2. But my V1 it happened twice and it didn’t kill it like the other incident that happened, this time this one powers up and I’m able to see logs etc..

Just strange that it was working and out it up since it has been cold… and now this

Well. They won’t charge you to “check” to see if it’s the xlx2 or the motor.
My experience with the 1717 motors was unplug the sensor wire and go.. but if possible video and data log photos if possible. Might help us better…. But I know why my xlx2 died. Since it happened to my other one as well. I had some SMC batteries that came undone and spark. Got lucky once and repaired it just to happen again and then killed the xlx2 in my V2. But my V1 it happened twice and it didn’t kill it like the other incident that happened, this time this one powers up and I’m able to see logs etc..

Just strange that it was working and out it up since it has been cold… and now this
Thats what mine was doing just before it went and I did have the sensor wire plugged in. Had a replacement on the way but it got lost in the mail. Got my money back and I'm not going to order another one until I have extra money this summer.

I'm actually still waiting on my xlx2 from castle. It's been over a month since I sent it in. Last week they said they didn't have stock and it should be sent this week so we'll see.

Thanks for the replies, all.
@real_name_hidden - that video is exactly what I see WITH the sensor wire plugged in. The only additional thing my vid would show is the barely audible beeps during startup sequence and idle - both with and without sensor wire. When I called Castle they seemed most concerned about this aspect. Per Castle's suggestion, I tried powering on XLX2 while holding three bullet connectors of a small, sensorless brushless motor against the ESC. (I grabbed from an old 400 size heli - it's the only other motor at my disposal). I think purpose was to rule out issue with the CC 1100kv motor itself. No beeps with the small motor. It does run ok though, as long as sensor wire is disconnected from XLX2.
@Infraction666 - I inspected the bullets thoroughly and they looked fine. I did the same with all the QS8 connectors in addition to the three solder points on the motor.
@Moirae - I wiped the data log and tried re-flashing firmware again - but result is the same unfortunately.

At this point it looks like the XLX2 has to go back to Castle. I've saved the data logs for all my runs and max amps/temp ever recorded was 247amps/126F for the ESC. Max temp for 1100kv motor I found was 148F.

Thanks for the replies, all.
@real_name_hidden - that video is exactly what I see WITH the sensor wire plugged in. The only additional thing my vid would show is the barely audible beeps during startup sequence and idle - both with and without sensor wire. When I called Castle they seemed most concerned about this aspect. Per Castle's suggestion, I tried powering on XLX2 while holding three bullet connectors of a small, sensorless brushless motor against the ESC. (I grabbed from an old 400 size heli - it's the only other motor at my disposal). I think purpose was to rule out issue with the CC 1100kv motor itself. No beeps with the small motor. It does run ok though, as long as sensor wire is disconnected from XLX2.
@Infraction666 - I inspected the bullets thoroughly and they looked fine. I did the same with all the QS8 connectors in addition to the three solder points on the motor.
@Moirae - I wiped the data log and tried re-flashing firmware again - but result is the same unfortunately.

At this point it looks like the XLX2 has to go back to Castle. I've saved the data logs for all my runs and max amps/temp ever recorded was 247amps/126F for the ESC. Max temp for 1100kv motor I found was 148F.
Clear the log before sending it in.

Just closing the loop that both the 1100kv motor and XLX2 were found to be defective by Castle. Hopefully replacements show up soon.
Thanks again for the suggestions here.

Just closing the loop that both the 1100kv motor and XLX2 were found to be defective by Castle. Hopefully replacements show up soon.
Thanks again for the suggestions here.
Got exactly the issue with same components. Start error and only cogging then.
Also at 200a lol
You figured out what caused that issue

I have sent only the esc in....I tested the 1100kv on my mmx8s and he is working fine & smooth🤔

Got exactly the issue with same components. Start error and only cogging then.
Also at 200a lol
You figured out what caused that issue

I have sent only the esc in....I tested the 1100kv on my mmx8s and he is working fine & smooth🤔
Sorry to hear. Unfortunately Castle did not reveal much about what the issue was. I'd suggest sending in motor too. I was able to get the old motor running fine without sensor cable, so I hesitated sending in, but glad I did because Castle also found it defective along with XLX2. Seems these "smokeless" problems are related to sensored function which involves both ESC and motor. (Only a theory)

Do you get startup beeps?

This was the datalog after the failured run[/MEDIA]

My thread https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/fried-xlx2-only-200a-2028-1100kv.61303/

IMG-20230327-WA0011.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back