Kraton Xlx2 mamba or max 5 combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t care for it in my K8S. It would overheat constantly.. I run 1:1 gearing tho. 🤷‍♂️
I think it would definitely need a really good fan plugged into the rx and not the esc. I bet that would make a really big difference. Having the fan on from the start has to buy some time :ROFLMAO:

I think it would definitely need a really good fan plugged into the rx and not the esc. I bet that would make a really big difference. Having the fan on from the start has to buy some time :ROFLMAO:
I had a big fan, it helped but still couldn’t get thru a whole pack. Then I gave up and put a ticking time bomb (XLX2) in there instead.. 😂

@dure16 I believe the biggest issue is the epoxy not holding up to hard landings and that loosens those massive bullets on the board, ending in a bad connection resulting in a fiery death.
Also, as mentioned above, this ESC will give you the absolute possible max in current which will happen more often during acceleration from zero, happens more often during bashing.

Been using mine in a boat with no issues. All my statements could also be just anecdotal and unique to the bad experience that I have seen.
There is just a lot of mass, and jumping/crashing will take its toll on heavy components. The Max5 will limit current by design and might have fewer issues as a result. This limiting is only noticeable at high speed/high load over a longer time, but hardly ever during bashing.
That makes sense, thanks. It's weird that the XLX2 is fragile and the MMX8S seems to be bulletproof.
I actually think the mmx8s is wonderful in an xmaxx or xrt. I'm not sure how well it works in the heavier arrma rigs though.
I run an MMX8S in my O8S with a TP5660 1170kv. Geared 29/47.

After ~10 runs the highest ESC temp I've seen is 130F. Not sure how it'll handle summer temps though.

the xlx2 is an amazing esc but has a bad rap. I think castle should discontinue it for something newer that can run 10s or 12s. all the xlx2 owners will get upgraditis and castle will make lots and lots of money. sure, a few of the new ones might spontaneously combust, but this new ESC is the only hope the A.A. 908 Project base on ARRMA Limitless has to get to 250MPH.

I'd be really excited for a new castle esc if they figured out the wonkiness from the xlx2. Their reputation has definitely taken a hit though. This forum alone, you never see anyone recommend an xlx2 for any 8s bashing. Even 6s bashing, people will say max 6. I'd never pick a max 6 over an mmx8s but that's another topic.

I'd never recommend a Max6, biggest POS imho. I know that goes against many recommendations, but if you can't use something for more than 5 min before it overheats and shuts down, it's not worth my money.
Will/should work great in ~60F ambient temps for maybe 10 min (my style of bashing).

I'd never recommend a Max6, biggest POS imho. I know that goes against many recommendations, but if you can't use something for more than 5 min before it overheats and shuts down, it's not worth my money.
Will/should work great in ~60F ambient temps for maybe 10 min (my style of bashing).
I had similar problems with my max 6. I ended up replacing the few I had in my on road rigs with mmx8s. Now the wifey is pretty much the only one using max 6's :ROFLMAO:

So looking for all options and opinions on what electronics would be more bang for my buck. Castle mamba xlx2 or max 5 combo 800kv both 800kv motors. Money is no object I can budget for either. What do y’all say I want and even toque and speed demon. Thanks in advance.
I've had oneXLX2 for more than a year on my O8S and the other XLX2 for like two months on the K8S. After some issues, I would go with the Max 5. The Max 5 has outlived the XLX2. The Max has has been working absolutely wonderful in my Xmaxx for over 3 years now. Same driving style, crashes, construction site mayhem, upside-down crashes, huge jumps etc. The only thing that the XLX2 does better is to not hit thermal with higher gearing, but Castle told me that I shouldn't be going over 30/47 gearing due to the ridiculous voltage spikes that they noticed when they tested both XLX2 that had the bullets come off the board like this:

I still can't believe castle said that. it's so dumb it's hard to believe and I probably wouldn't if they didn't tell me I should gear below stock 🤣. Spoken like a company that really doesn't want to admit there is a problem with their product 😔.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back