XLX2 sucks -_-

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately these problems typically result in lots of trial and error, TaylorRC's Genesis series was the solution I eventually found, prior to those I tried UberRC Viper Super Spikes which are completely banded, unfortunately despite their amazing grip the banding split and once again the foams exploded.
Then came the biggest mistake of my life when I bought BRPs, just shy of £400 for a set of 4 and they require adapters, ultimately they didn't explode but had I ran them longer it would've been inevitable (they were really unbalanced too).

If 1/5th scale has a problem, it's wheels and tyres, I must've spent more on them than I have on 1/8th as a whole.
I best stop taking this thread off-topic :censored:
It's ok...this is a way of life here.
thread-derailed.gif

Truthfully I think a (functioning lol) XLX2 actually runs a 1/5th quite well, my DBXL-E has an XLX2 + 1100kV 2028 on 8S and it ran beautifully (until the sensor died) - You still hit roadblocks on 8S though, I was fighting exploding tyres for a while till I found TaylorRC Genesis super spikes. I did snap a CVD on the DBXL-E but I can't rule out whether the MGM had something to do with that, the MGM was passed from rig to rig until I found one that survived it.

This is why I tend not to bash my cars, I almost always have drivetrain problems :whistle:
What punch control do you use for the dbxl xlx2 combo?
Unfortunately these problems typically result in lots of trial and error, TaylorRC's Genesis series was the solution I eventually found, prior to those I tried UberRC Viper Super Spikes which are completely banded, unfortunately despite their amazing grip the banding split and once again the foams exploded.
Then came the biggest mistake of my life when I bought BRPs, just shy of £400 for a set of 4 and they require adapters, ultimately they didn't explode but had I ran them longer it would've been inevitable (they were really unbalanced too).

If 1/5th scale has a problem, it's wheels and tyres, I must've spent more on them than I have on 1/8th as a whole.
I best stop taking this thread off-topic :censored:
No worries, much better than me remembering my anger towards castle! 🤣

So, I put the brand new XLX2 that I got as a warranty replacement for the one that caught on fire in my k8s in the DBXL I just recently got. I get everything setup and go outside all excited and I get to drive the rig for about 5 minutes before it just completely dies. Thankfully I wasn't going that fast because I would have smacked right into the curb otherwise.

I cannot believe a brand new xlx2 just dies on me on the very first run. No burnt smell no weird signs no nothing. Just DEAD, won't even connect to castle link. I tried swapping wire harnesses, rx and everything else I could think of. I installed another xlx2 and boom everything working great again.

How am I this unlucky? I guess I should be glad this one didn't burst into flames too but gawd damn man I didn't even get through 1 pack with this esc............ :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek::(:mad::eek::eek::mad:

Now I have to pay for shipping again to send them back this faulty POS
Looks like bad luck or poor china man didn't slap on that 3rd QA stickers🤣

What punch control do you use for the dbxl xlx2 combo?

No worries, much better than me remembering my anger towards castle! 🤣
I can't say for certain but all of my RCs have little to no punch restriction, I've always enjoyed having full throttle response at the drop of a hat.
I figure if my batteries can hold up to it, the car should too.
Probably a good time to note I did some funky upgrades on the DBXL-E which is why it handled it at all, aluminium bulkheads + angular contact bearings in the bulkheads (DBXL-E's have a known issue of bulkhead bearing dying prematurely)

I can't say for certain but all of my RCs have little to no punch restriction, I've always enjoyed having full throttle response at the drop of a hat.
I figure if my batteries can hold up to it, the car should too.
Probably a good time to note I did some funky upgrades on the DBXL-E which is why it handled it at all, aluminium bulkheads + angular contact bearings in the bulkheads (DBXL-E's have a known issue of bulkhead bearing dying prematurely)
Maybe I should check my bearings. I just got my DBXL off someone here used but its making some funky noises after my first little run. I'm not sure if it's just the way it is or what. I did read about the alu bulkheads being a great idea so I'm currently waiting on 2 of those to come from china. I had the punch control set to 40% but I've been worried since my k8s drivetrain really struggled to handle the xlx2 combo full power.

Now I have to go look up wtf an angular contact bearing is. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe I should check my bearings. I just got my DBXL off someone here used but its making some funky noises after my first little run. I'm not sure if it's just the way it is or what. I did read about the alu bulkheads being a great idea so I'm currently waiting on 2 of those to come from china. I had the punch control set to 40% but I've been worried since my k8s drivetrain really struggled to handle the xlx2 combo full power.

Now I have to go look up wtf an angular contact bearing is. :ROFLMAO:

Mine sounds a bit odd too, I just attribute that to different cars making different noises lol 🤷‍♂️
I know I've got mine set high enough that I can break all 4 wheels loose and flip it from a stand-still, I'm running a center locker because I hate the fronts ballooning.
The 7000 series bearings (i.e. 7902) are Angular Contact and thus can only be installed in one direction. These bearings will have different coloured seals on each side and are usually installed with the black seal facing you. Internally they contain an angled chamfer which will rely on a preload being applied (see the manufacturers instructions for your bicycle) which can result in the bearing falling apart if installled incorrectly.
I knew the ring and pinion being helical cut was causing a lot of axial load so I figured I needed something akin to a tapered roller bearing, then I found out Enduro makes Angular Contact bearings for bicycles, I effectively have them installed as shown:
1672426761536.png

So far I've had zero issues with these, my aluminium bulkheads arrived before the car did so they were installed upon arrival, I figure if it held up to 12S then I'm set lol

Mine sounds a bit odd too, I just attribute that to different cars making different noises lol 🤷‍♂️
I know I've got mine set high enough that I can break all 4 wheels loose and flip it from a stand-still, I'm running a center locker because I hate the fronts ballooning.

I knew the ring and pinion being helical cut was causing a lot of axial load so I figured I needed something akin to a tapered roller bearing, then I found out Enduro makes Angular Contact bearings for bicycles, I effectively have them installed as shown:
View attachment 266031
So far I've had zero issues with these, my aluminium bulkheads arrived before the car did so they were installed upon arrival, I figure if it held up to 12S then I'm set lol
Those look like super bearings! do you have a link to the exact ones needed? Thanks btw!

Those look like super bearings! do you have a link to the exact ones needed? Thanks btw!
Assuming the exploded view I found was correct, it should be these:
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p...aled-Ball-Bearing-10x22x6mm/product_info.html
Just need to remember to install them correctly, otherwise they'll quite literally fall apart.
Which rig survived it?
I bought an MCD XR5 roller, fortunately there's a shop in England who sells them pre-converted, they yoink the petrol bits and slap in an electric motor mount for you.
By far the best "out of box" experience I've had of any car too.

Assuming the exploded view I found was correct, it should be these:
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p...aled-Ball-Bearing-10x22x6mm/product_info.html
Just need to remember to install them correctly, otherwise they'll quite literally fall apart.

I bought an MCD XR5 roller, fortunately there's a shop in England who sells them pre-converted, they yoink the petrol bits and slap in an electric motor mount for you.
By far the best "out of box" experience I've had of any car too.
I was seriously looking at one of these https://www.rovanrc.com/product-rvef5r-03 which I guess is supposed to be a cheaper version of an MCD. Heard nothing but good things about it but it's always sold out. Those MCD look amazing but damn that price is amazing too :ROFLMAO:

I was seriously looking at one of these https://www.rovanrc.com/product-rvef5r-03 which I guess is supposed to be a cheaper version of an MCD. Heard nothing but good things about it but it's always sold out. Those MCD look amazing but damn that price is amazing too :ROFLMAO:
The resemblance is uncanny that's pretty insane how similar they are, it even has the junk battery tray!
Everything down to the motor mount is extremely similar, though mine doesn't have body clips at the front splitter, I wouldn't say it needs it either.
Provided the drivetrain isn't monkey metal I'd imagine you can't go wrong with that one.

I've had 3 esc warrantied. 2 xlx2 including the one this thread is about and 1 mmx8s that I paid to have upgraded so they didn't cover it for free, I never even asked them to cover it as I sent it in under the 2nd tier warranty or whatever it's called.

This 2nd XLX2 was a replacement for the one that caught on fire, and it died on the very first pack within the very first 10 minutes of me running the rig moderately light.

Funny enough I just saw a video on youtube of a guy having the same exact problem with the same exact rig. XLX2 just died mid run same as mine but the video is from a couple months ago :ROFLMAO:

It actually makes all of this even worse tbh. Castle has to know the XLX2 has a problem with randomly just blowing up or dying. I don't even know how you can ignore the problem and just act like it's the customer every time they send in a unit for warranty. I'm definitely not buying another XLX2 for a 1/5th scale rig again and I'd be selling the replacement if it wasn't for my limitless v1 since I took the esc from that to put in the dbxl.

Also, to make this even weirder, both times I've had an xlx2 either blow up or die on me it was paired with a castle 2028 1100kv motor. 2 separate 2028 motors for both XLX2.
Maybe the 1100kv motor might be the culprit? I'm running both my XLX2 with smaller motors now. Why? Less weight and the same performance from what I see with good batteries. So far so good with the XLX2 and 1100kv HW motor. The K8S is getting the smaller 5692 motor with the XLX2. Less weight and such. Also, those huge motors, with no support in the rear will eventually die from big jumps when they slap on the chassis. At least I think that's what killed my 2028. Or maybe because I never changed the bearings? Don't know.

Last edited:
Maybe the 1100kv motor might be the culprit? I'm running both my XLX2 with smaller motors now. Why? Less weight and the same performance from what I see with good batteries. So far so good with the XLX2 and 1100kv motor HW motor. The K8S is getting the smaller 5692 motor with the XLX2. Less weight and such. Also, those huge motors, with no support in the rear will eventually die from big jumps when they slap on the chassis. At least I think that's what killed my 2028. Or maybe because I never changed the bearings? Don't know.
I've started to notice some marks on some of my motors from that. I started putting a piece of Velcro under where the motors go to create some type of cushion. I don't know how well it will work but has to be better than nothing.

I've started to notice some marks on some of my motors from that. I started putting a piece of Velcro under where the motors go to create some type of cushion. I don't know how well it will work but has to be better than nothing.
i am just here cause i installed today my 2028 1100 kv + xlx2 in limitless v2:cool:

Looks like bad luck or poor china man didn't slap on that 3rd QA stickers🤣
CC makes their ESC's here in the States last I heard.
Their CC motors are definitely outsourced in China...

CC makes their ESC's here in the States last I heard.
Their CC motors are definitely outsourced in China...
Like everything else these days.not much being manufactured in the states any more.which is unfortunate.quality control is better but with the labor rate higher here than in some countries. our u.s companies will allways try to save cost and sometimes they find somewhere else to produce it cheaper..all depends on the company..if the company is all about quality and not quantity then they don't care about it being produced at a lower cost.to the high quality company they care about their name that's on that product..we will allways have two kinds of customers..ones that just want a lower price or the ones that want best quality..you pay for what you get and no such thing as a quality product costing the same as a cheap product..unless you find it on sale or clearance..depends on the budget your on I suppose.

Like everything else these days.not much being manufactured in the states any more.which is unfortunate.quality control is better but with the labor rate higher here than in some countries. our u.s companies will allways try to save cost and sometimes they find somewhere else to produce it cheaper..all depends on the company..if the company is all about quality and not quantity then they don't care about it being produced at a lower cost.to the high quality company they care about their name that's on that product..we will allways have two kinds of customers..ones that just want a lower price or the ones that want best quality..you pay for what you get and no such thing as a quality product costing the same as a cheap product..unless you find it on sale or clearance..depends on the budget your on I suppose.
It has little to do with the plant location. Companies can definitely get high-quality products from China. It would just be a more expensive contract, so a certain failure rate is deemed acceptable by the company.

I actually got to see one of these in person and the one thing that strikes you first in the SIZE. They are huge. They make a K8S look like a K6S in comparison. There's a lot going on inside too. If you get one you're gonna need 2 to 3 huge servos (2 for steering and 1 for braking). You NEED the brake servo to put less stress on the drive train and ESC. The one I saw had Flier 400A ESC which is also huge in comparison to normal ESCs. An MGM equivalent is even larger. These cars are MAJOR investments and you'd probably need between 2 to 3K to complete one since they come as kits.

It has little to do with the plant location. Companies can definitely get high-quality products from China. It would just be a more expensive contract, so a certain failure rate is deemed acceptable by the company.
For the manufacturer that does not care so much on quality yes they will find another country to produce their product for less...it's either they manufacture it here in the states with the same less quality and suffer the higher taxes and paying more for the employees or have the same product with the same quality in a different country where production costs less and they don't have all the taxes that we have here in the states..we were at one time leading manufacturing country.not no more .china is #1..again cheap labor..that's what it comes down to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back