XLX2 sucks -_-

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely understand Castle's perspective on it though. How many customers tell them giant lies every day trying to get something replaced for free?
Not saying we do this but many customers do. I worked in customer support in my younger days and it is a beat down.
But to claim 400 amps on an xlx2 is abuse? It's crazy to me that castle uses extreme people to advertise their stuff and to even go as far as posting it on their site but then claim we're abusing them when we are pulling less amps than the people they post on their website.

It is rather annoying that they don't rate their ESCs for a max current only to then claim, posthumously, that the current was too high. If you're going to use that as an excuse for what constitutes abuse then rate the ESC for a max current and be done with the argument.

It is rather annoying that they don't rate their ESCs for a max current only to then claim, posthumously, that the current was too high. If you're going to use that as an excuse for what constitutes abuse then rate the ESC for a max current and be done with the argument.
But to claim 400 amps on an xlx2 is abuse? It's crazy to me that castle uses extreme people to advertise their stuff and to even go as far as posting it on their site but then claim we're abusing them when we are pulling less amps than the people they post on their website.

Not sure if either of you had used the original XLX, but by default, it was amperage limited and you had to go into the castle link and turn it up higher.
It seems like if that is going to be their warranty claim bypass then you have to have a way to limit the amperage in the software like they did with the original XLX.

Not sure if either of you had used the original XLX, but by default, it was amperage limited and you had to go into the castle link and turn it up higher.
It seems like if that is going to be their warranty claim bypass then you have to have a way to limit the amperage in the software like they did with the original XLX.
Yeah, that works along the lines I was suggesting, except that this would implement a software limit that, if disabled, would void warranty claims. Which, let's be frank, almost everyone and their brother would run afoul of. So what should that limit be? 500A? The MMX8S is limited to around 400-420A and it would have to be more than that to justify its existence.

Edit: No, I've never used one of the original XLX.

That sounds like a good idea if implemented correctly. I bet they would limit it to something like 250 amps though which is ridiculous considering the mmx8s can easily do that all day and doesn't even have half of these xlx2 problems.
Yeah, that works along the lines I was suggesting, except that this would implement a software limit that, if disabled, would void warranty claims. Which, let's be frank, almost everyone and their brother would run afoul of. So what should that limit be? 500A? The MMX8S is limited to around 400-420A and it would have to be more than that to justify its existence.

I bet they would limit xlx2 amps to like 300 amps which would defeat the whole purpose of the xlx2 as you said haha. If they're complaining about 400 amps already that is not a good look. It really makes you wonder who they expect to even buy xlx2 in the first place.

Finally getting my xlx2 replacement today. Been over a month.

I don't think off-road, even 1/5 scale needs more than 400a as grip just isn't available to use it.
From memory, I think the old XLX was default set at 350a and then you could turn it up. The majority if 1/5 scale bashers install the product and use it on all the default settings and they would be happy with the performance.

It goes a bit beyond the amperage delivery also, the XLX2 can dissipate the heat waaaay better than the MMX8s. That is a big deal for 1/5 scale rigs.

Honestly, I don't care about any of that because I only speed run, but those are my 2 cents on the basher side of that topic.

After mine caught fire, I pretty much lost all interest in the xlx2 and couldn’t even get excited to get the warranty replacement installed. I’ll deal with a little less power and less features to not have to worry about burning a rig down. For a speed runner, sure it’s worth it, a basher, no thanks. The fact that Castle is denying or giving the “one time warranty” deal to everyone makes it an even easier decision.

Keep in mind, the only alternative Castle has is to hard limit or stop selling them.
That is the price you pay for extreme performance.

When they go up in flames at random, I’d say stop selling them and figure out the issue is a pretty easy decision. Or just blame it on your customers until they all go some place else, I guess that works too.

After mine caught fire, I pretty much lost all interest in the xlx2 and couldn’t even get excited to get the warranty replacement installed. I’ll deal with a little less power and less features to not have to worry about burning a rig down. For a speed runner, sure it’s worth it, a basher, no thanks. The fact that Castle is denying or giving the “one time warranty” deal to everyone makes it an even easier decision.
Just curious but...what did you do with the warranty replacement unit? :)

These things are dying while not even under heavy load.
Dunno, I've been happy with my XLX2s so far. To my mind, I feel like it might be down to which batches made it to which state or which country. Am I imagining this or do the faulty units seem to happen repeatedly to one person or you see a flurry of active eruptions in a region and others never have an issue? Sometimes I just think this problem isn't as pervasive as it might seem. It might just be a perception thang because the cases you hear about and remember are the ones that blow up because it is, of course, more spectacular than ESCs that work as advertised. No one makes videos titled, I'VE HAD THIS ESC FOR SEVEN MONTHS AND EVERYTHING STILL WORKS. Sex, fire and explosions sell.
When they go up in flames at random, I’d say stop selling them and figure out the issue is a pretty easy decision. Or just blame it on your customers until they all go some place else, I guess that works too.
I know that may seem like the logical thing to do but, depending on the rate of failure, that just might not be a viable option for them because stopping sales, trying to work out the issue and fold the results of the investigation into the production process might cost them more than RMA'ing every defective ESC plus paying for entire cars that get burnt down by their "concerning for customers but, actually, rarely failing ESC" and just eating the cost. Remember Fight Club and "The Formula".

A x B x C = X

If X is less than the average out of court settlement for deadly incidents involving the auto manufacturer's vehicle...they don't do a recall.

Fortunately, in our case we're just talking about toy RC cars and not people's daughters with their retainer wrapped around the rear passenger ashtray and the fat of the father melted together with the front seat upholstery with a polyester shirt as the bonding agent.

Castle, at least for now, has at least some leverage as there's nowhere else for a segment of RC to go to as the XLX2 is still the only affordable game in town when it comes to speed running. I get it, you're not speed running so it's not really your concern. I'm not even trying to excuse Castle's behavior in some RMA cases. I just try to find rational explanations for a company's reaction to an ongoing issue with one of their products, in this case their flagship surface ESC.

--------------------------------------
Just a general question to every- and/or anyone...Castle released a water-cooled version of the XLX2 not all that long ago. Or maybe it was longer ago than I realize and my sense of time is still wonky. Anyhow...does anyone know if those units have similar failure rates to regular XLX2s or if they're doing better? I suspect not many of those are in circulation, comparatively so it might be difficult to get a read on the situation. I'd ask Castle but I can't see them being forthcoming about any issues, even if they were having them.

Last edited:
Mine works as well, but I'd be p*issed as well if it would blow up.
Meanwhile, a Hobbywing blew up on me when I plugged in power. This is not isolated to any specific manufacturer.

Mine works as well, but I'd be p*issed as well if it would blow up.
Meanwhile, a Hobbywing blew up on me when I plugged in power. This is not isolated to any specific manufacturer.
Hey Earl Moorhead?

Jk I have an xlx2 on the way for the infraction next spring, fingers crossed 🤞

I have been running the 1st batch XLX2 still on the original 3.8.00 software which was said to go up in flames with 4 pole motors over 2200kv without any issues. I have punished it all year with his speed runs in the 450-680 amp range each time.

I just received a second one. I'll bench-test it and load-test it before sending it down the street, but I have no major concerns if it passes the initial tests.

So, I put the brand new XLX2 that I got as a warranty replacement for the one that caught on fire in my k8s in the DBXL I just recently got. I get everything setup and go outside all excited and I get to drive the rig for about 5 minutes before it just completely dies. Thankfully I wasn't going that fast because I would have smacked right into the curb otherwise.

I cannot believe a brand new xlx2 just dies on me on the very first run. No burnt smell no weird signs no nothing. Just DEAD, won't even connect to castle link. I tried swapping wire harnesses, rx and everything else I could think of. I installed another xlx2 and boom everything working great again.

How am I this unlucky? I guess I should be glad this one didn't burst into flames too but gawd damn man I didn't even get through 1 pack with this esc............ :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek::(:mad::eek::eek::mad:

Now I have to pay for shipping again to send them back this faulty POS
Tell me why I just had another xlx2 die the same exact way in the same exact truck. Worked fine the last time I had the rig out. Took it out today, hit the power switch and nothing happened.

I'm really starting to hate xlx2's. I can't be this unlucky lol, I'm starting to think the 2028 motor I bought from here is cursed.

Hard to justify $250 on a speed controller when it is proven unreliable long term. Only reason I don’t get into speed running. There may be thousands of people without problems, but everyone that has a failure will let you know. It’s like a Hemi or LS lifter failure 😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back