XMAXX question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy15086

Very Active Member
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
I am really not yet interested in joining any other forums even though I am a current, new, XMAXX owner, so I figured Id just ask on here. I noticed a lot of people tend to just upgrade the ESC and use the stock motor... Is just slapping a Max 5 or XLX2 in it and sticking with the stock 1275kv motor pretty good? 🤔

I am really not yet interested in joining any other forums even though I am a current, new, XMAXX owner, so I figured Id just ask on here. I noticed a lot of people tend to just upgrade the ESC and use the stock motor... Is just slapping a Max 5 or XLX2 in it and sticking with the stock 1275kv motor pretty good? 🤔
Honestly you don't even need to go that big if you keeping stock motor. Get a max 6 or mmx8s and save the money.

Just based on my experience only, I had a max6 in my Xmaxx (currently using a max5) And I do think either option is an upgrade with the stock motor.

A benefit of going with the max6 vs the max5 is that you don’t need a ESC mount for it. Max6 is pretty much a direct fit.
Max5 v max6

Attachments

• F7E6A500-D38D-4354-8611-EFD63A2DDFDF.jpeg
    F7E6A500-D38D-4354-8611-EFD63A2DDFDF.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 486DBBDB-C76D-4BA9-8288-BEE144FEBEC4.jpeg
    486DBBDB-C76D-4BA9-8288-BEE144FEBEC4.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 165
Have you guys fiddlesticked with the M2C upgrades out there?
IE upgraded motor esc mount, Drive shaft upgrade, braces?
Also, I am not a fan of the "monkey metal" spur gear... what is a good upgrade?

Just get a max6, stock motor and switch to 20/50 gearing. The Xmaxx is a ton of fun with that set up. Robinson makes good gears. Can’t remember what brand I have in mine. I don’t think the m2c stuff is really needed unless you are a Duperbash/rcdude81 level basher.

I did just order the m2c motor mount, esc plate and wide kit, so I can install a max5/1100kv combo. Didn’t really want the wide kit, but I’d like to run backflips and it is needed to avoid rubbing.

Have you guys fiddlesticked with the M2C upgrades out there?
IE upgraded motor esc mount, Drive shaft upgrade, braces?
Also, I am not a fan of the "monkey metal" spur gear... what is a good upgrade?
I personally have not. Only non OEM upgrade I have done RPM Hub carriers and the WFO Receiver plate. When I do plan on upgrading the motor it will more than likely be a M2C or WFO motor mount. Currently eyeing the m2c hub wide kit.

As far as pinion goes can’t go wrong with Tekno or Robsinon Racing. Currently using a 20t RR with the 50T Traxxas spur.

I know WFO makes some nice ones as well.
I Didn’t really want the wide kit, but I’d like to run backflips and it is needed to avoid rubbing.
That is exactly why I want to get it as well

Just get a max6, stock motor and switch to 20/50 gearing. The Xmaxx is a ton of fun with that set up. Robinson makes good gears. Can’t remember what brand I have in mine. I don’t think the m2c stuff is really needed unless you are a Duperbash/rcdude81 level basher.

I did just order the m2c motor mount, esc plate and wide kit, so I can install a max5/1100kv combo. Didn’t really want the wide kit, but I’d like to run backflips and it is needed to avoid rubbing.
I already have a widemaxx kit. I like to bash hard... I am not currently using my XMAXX because I am considering selling it. But if I keep it I'll probably get every POSSIBLE upgrade! 🤣🤣🤣

I already have a widemaxx kit. I like to bash hard... I am not currently using my XMAXX because I am considering selling it. But if I keep it I'll probably get every POSSIBLE upgrade! 🤣🤣🤣

Even with the wide maxx kit, you’ll need extended hubs like the m2c kit to make backflips work. Backflips don’t have as much offset built into the rim, so they rub when turning.

I just got done swapping out my max5/56113 800kv combo for a mmx8s 1717 combo. I’m hoping I’ll like the lighter weight better…

All in all the Xmaxx is a great basher. No need for the m2c stuff (aside from the motor mount cause that’s great and needed) just upgrade your carriers to rpm and upgrade the spur and call it a day. Go out and bash that thing .. lol

You’ll like it after you’ve acclimated to the style of driving it is. I do have the m2c kit to accept the backflips tho. Looking forward to that conversion this winter..

3154C6ED-29A5-4C90-86C1-53FEF919A229.jpeg
88777B99-B50C-4D4D-9FF6-7B8A2261805A.jpeg

I just got done swapping out my max5/56113 800kv combo for a mmx8s 1717 combo. I’m hoping I’ll like the lighter weight better…

All in all the Xmaxx is a great basher. No need for the m2c stuff (aside from the motor mount cause that’s great and needed) just upgrade your carriers to rpm and upgrade the spur and call it a day. Go out and bash that thing .. lol

You’ll like it after you’ve acclimated to the style of driving it is. I do have the m2c kit to accept the backflips tho. Looking forward to that conversion this winter..

View attachment 258366View attachment 258367
Already have ...
Hot Racing Aluminum Caster C-Hubs
New Proline Masher X HP belted tires
Proline Ultra Resevior shock caps
Hot Racing Steel hub hexes
Traxxas WideMAXX kit
Traxxas metal gear servo

Do you think you'll like the MMX8s over the Max5? I have the MMX8s 1717 in my Krajave. I've only run 6s on it... How's it do on 8s?

Last edited:
I’ve used my Kraton on 8s with the 1650kv setup. It was wicked fast!

The 1260kv combo says it’s good for vehicles upto 20lbs … Xmaxx is pushing it at 19.1 lbs. 🤣😂

Gonna get some fans on there and hope for the best.

I’ve used my Kraton on 8s with the 1650kv setup. It was wicked fast!

The 1260kv combo says it’s good for vehicles upto 20lbs … Xmaxx is pushing it at 19.1 lbs. 🤣😂

Gonna get some fans on there and hope for the best.
So you liked it on 8s? What 1260kv combo are you talking about? 🤔

When you say " new " Xmaxx owner , clarify it is brand new or used and new to you ? My Xmaxx I bought new the ESC started glitching . I wanted to put bigger electronics in my K8S , so I put the stock RTR ESC from the K8S into the Xmaxx on the stock motor , it surprisingly ran great !!!! On the 6700 MAH Traxxas batts , I was getting like 40 minutes of run time ( stock gearing ) . But since I also had the 1250kv out of the K8S also, I put that into it on a WFO mount with the 23t pinion , truck is pretty fast , get about 50mph out of it , still long run time and no heat issues .
Being the Xmaxx is much lighter than a K8S , the Firma 160 ESC isn't as stressed as if it were in the heavier chassis . If you can find one reasonable or like others said , Max6 . IMO , keep the stock motor .

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

Max6 ESC and stock motor. Not driving the XMaxx too fast anyway. Just does not handle nice at speed. It's more of a jumper.
Mamba Tuning is nice. More of a "just want this now!!" than a necessity. Or use the money to get a XRT.

@Rcproponent : I would shorten those wires going to the XT90. Adding the battery cables creates a lot of length. ESC do burn if the cables are too long. Is easier than adding capacitors next to the ESC. :p

Last edited:
Max6 ESC and stock motor. Not driving the XMaxx too fast anyway. Just does not handle nice at speed. It's more of a jumper.
Mamba Tuning is nice. More of a "just want this now!!" than a necessity. Or use the money to get a XRT.

@Rcproponent : I would shorten those wires going to the XT90. Adding the battery cables creates a lot of length. ESC do burn if the cables are too long. Is easier than adding capacitors next to the ESC. :p
That bad huh? Well I don’t want my esc burning up so I guess I’ll do that. How short do I need to go?

When you say " new " Xmaxx owner , clarify it is brand new or used and new to you ? My Xmaxx I bought new the ESC started glitching . I wanted to put bigger electronics in my K8S , so I put the stock RTR ESC from the K8S into the Xmaxx on the stock motor , it surprisingly ran great !!!! On the 6700 MAH Traxxas batts , I was getting like 40 minutes of run time ( stock gearing ) . But since I also had the 1250kv out of the K8S also, I put that into it on a WFO mount with the 23t pinion , truck is pretty fast , get about 50mph out of it , still long run time and no heat issues .
Being the Xmaxx is much lighter than a K8S , the Firma 160 ESC isn't as stressed as if it were in the heavier chassis . If you can find one reasonable or like others said , Max6 . IMO , keep the stock motor .

View attachment 258375

View attachment 258376
Spektrum 160A is MAX6 Rebrand and a great ESC. Thanks for sharing, I have heard tons of folks saying the MAX6 is perfect for the X-Maxx with the stock motor. How did you mount the ESC to the truck?

That bad huh? Well I don’t want my esc burning up so I guess I’ll do that. How short do I need to go?

As short as possible. The real problem is when you adjust the length to fit a certain lipo. Then get for example two 4s CNHL lipos with short cables and nothing fits.

So I like to use 8mm connectors on the ESC without shortening the cables on the ESC. For example QS8 and hammer them out of the plastic. Raz has a video on that.

Then go from the 8mm connector (socket and plug) to the two XT90. So if you ever have to adjust some length or buy lipos with EC5 you just solder the part to the connectors and don't need to remove the ESC in order to solder. Just change cables when you change lipos if necessary. (I have EC5 on the Super Baja Rey and use the same lipos on the Kraton 8s (QS8 connectors) and adjust via 8mm connector.)

Where the yellow circle is you use 6 or 8mm connectors. So you can adjust the rest of the cable according to exisiting batteries. Use heat shrinking tube to fix for a more permanent fit. If you ever use the ESC in another car you can adjust the cables a lot easier using 8mm inbetween.

Screenshot 2022-11-25 234427.jpg

If you use capacitors add about 220µF per 10cm cable length. At least two parallel. Here an ESC and capacitors on a 12S printed jet (120mm EDF) for the long cables to the front. On a basher car you must check if all is connected after each driving session. Too much hassle.

20220603_234317.jpg

Last edited:
Spektrum 160A is MAX6 Rebrand and a great ESC. Thanks for sharing, I have heard tons of folks saying the MAX6 is perfect for the X-Maxx with the stock motor. How did you mount the ESC to the truck?
Had to grind a little away on the crossbar cage , 2 of the tabs on the ESC surprisingly lined right up with 2 holes on the Xmaxx chassis , had to shave the length of the riser bars the thickness of the tabs , mounted a small block of wood to screw down the other 2 tabs . Hopefully you see what I'm talking about in the pics...

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

Had to grind a little away on the crossbar cage , 2 of the tabs on the ESC surprisingly lined right up with 2 holes on the Xmaxx chassis , had to shave the length of the riser bars the thickness of the tabs , mounted a small block of wood to screw down the other 2 tabs . Hopefully you see what I'm talking about in the pics...

View attachment 258463

View attachment 258467
I don't think that one is going anywhere!

Back