Xmaxx teardown / repair !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3x9rtse

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
I was just gonna show it in the " what did you work on today " , but I want to hear those with Xmaxx experience and give mine so made a thread.
This Xmaxx is about 6 years old , if I had to guess there are maybe 15 full pack runs on the original stock electronics , then the ESC started glitching so I put in the Firma 160a and 1250kv motor and maybe another 5 full pack runs , and if I'm off , maybe the truck has 25 packs .
So I don't know to either complain or be happy about this , during the time the breakages have been a rear bearing , bumpers and diff outdrives .......... even the stock servo still works !!! ( but slow ) , until now . At the RCM bash day I was sending it rather high / backflips / etc , landing was on hard packed dirt . After some hard landings I heard the death noise clicking , and thought a diff has went so stopped driving it .
During this teardown found more than I thought was broken / worn , a broken rear arm , front lower and upper bulkhead cracked , and bottom bulkhead cover , shock tower , rear shock blown out , ALL 4 corners bearings crunchy , steering rack bearings crunchy , diff bearings crunchy , and the clicking was not a diff but just the driveshaft tube bent , but all 4 outdrives worn again that fast ????
The good , the diffs and the gears are perfect !!!
Now that I am gonna bring all this stuff back up to par , I also will not be putting the stock servo back in , just gonna do the Traxxas 2085x direct bolt in metal gear high torque servo , stock motor going back in , but I have to get an ESC , so will get either another Firma160a or a HW Max6 ( would NEVER do a Traxxas ESC!!!! ) as the electronics that just coming out are going into the K8S EXB I just got .
When I ad ad up all this stuff $$$$ , I'm kinda glad I picked up the K8S !!!! LOL
So I might just put this aside , and just start slowly collecting the parts over the winter .

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5593.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

I got confused? I thought I was looking at a cheap vacuum cleaner repair seminar. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. This is how you change the belt!! After the first picture all I see is vacuum parts. I think you selected the wrong pictures after the first one!!! 😂🤣😂🤣😂

6 year old RC and thats the damages report...i'd be thrilled! Pretty much all cheap parts! I am super excited to hear this because I just got a used X-Maxx a month or so ago and still haven't had a chance to take it out for a proper bash due to weather.

I was just gonna show it in the " what did you work on today " , but I want to hear those with Xmaxx experience and give mine so made a thread.
This Xmaxx is about 6 years old , if I had to guess there are maybe 15 full pack runs on the original stock electronics , then the ESC started glitching so I put in the Firma 160a and 1250kv motor and maybe another 5 full pack runs , and if I'm off , maybe the truck has 25 packs .
So I don't know to either complain or be happy about this , during the time the breakages have been a rear bearing , bumpers and diff outdrives .......... even the stock servo still works !!! ( but slow ) , until now . At the RCM bash day I was sending it rather high / backflips / etc , landing was on hard packed dirt . After some hard landings I heard the death noise clicking , and thought a diff has went so stopped driving it .
During this teardown found more than I thought was broken / worn , a broken rear arm , front lower and upper bulkhead cracked , and bottom bulkhead cover , shock tower , rear shock blown out , ALL 4 corners bearings crunchy , steering rack bearings crunchy , diff bearings crunchy , and the clicking was not a diff but just the driveshaft tube bent , but all 4 outdrives worn again that fast ????
The good , the diffs and the gears are perfect !!!
Now that I am gonna bring all this stuff back up to par , I also will not be putting the stock servo back in , just gonna do the Traxxas 2085x direct bolt in metal gear high torque servo , stock motor going back in , but I have to get an ESC , so will get either another Firma160a or a HW Max6 ( would NEVER do a Traxxas ESC!!!! ) as the electronics that just coming out are going into the K8S EXB I just got .
When I ad ad up all this stuff $$$$ , I'm kinda glad I picked up the K8S !!!! LOL
So I might just put this aside , and just start slowly collecting the parts over the winter .

View attachment 260350

View attachment 260351

View attachment 260352

View attachment 260353

View attachment 260354

View attachment 260355
The full tear down always hurts… the great thing about the Xmaxx is all those things that are broke are super cheap. It’ll go back to par pretty cheaply I bet. The biggest part will be the esc and servo.

The great (and sometimes bad) thing about the Xmaxx is even though it should be on life support from all the breakages, it still goes out there and backflips and $hit 😂🤣😂

It’s like the energizer bunny… just keeps going and going and going. 🤣😂

6 year old RC and thats the damages report...i'd be thrilled! Pretty much all cheap parts! I am super excited to hear this because I just got a used X-Maxx a month or so ago and still haven't had a chance to take it out for a proper bash due to weather.
Mine never gets run because it's always broken...

I have 3 all modded. They break. What I’ve learned is if you don’t use it you don’t need to fix it.

All the parts you need are cheap!

I have 3 all modded. They break. What I’ve learned is if you don’t use it you don’t need to fix it.

All the parts you need are cheap!
Parts are cheap but everything is impossible to access without 2-3 hours of labor.

I am about to do a full rebuild on mine as last time I had it out it got soaked then something silly broke yet again 5 minutes into the first set of packs and I chucked it in the shed for a month and it is seized solid. Told myself if a re-power with the max5/1100kv combo doesn't make me like it it is going.

I'm convinced mine is a lemon at this point and I hate the thing!

Parts are cheap but everything is impossible to access without 2-3 hours of labor.
This is what has me hesitant on working on my XRT tbh. I have no clue how to access my center diff but it definitely doesn't seem as simple as my arrma rigs.

Well , all in all , the ( my ) Xmaxx has been one that has been the truck that has always came back in running condition , I have / had 4 big trucks , Xmaxx , K8S , Losi DBXL-E , and Losi SBR 2.0 , the one that I worry about the least of breaking on a crash or bad landing was the Xmaxx .
However , the K8S without question has a way more stout drivetrain , jumps and flies better , soaks up terrain better ,
The whole bearings thing , well , I drove this Xmaxx a lot in wet condition / snow and never did that with my others , so guess it's to be expected . Love driving it in the snow with the paddle tires !!!
This is what has me hesitant on working on my XRT tbh. I have no clue how to access my center diff but it definitely doesn't seem as simple as my arrma rigs.
Yup !!! During this teardown , I was like what a PIA to get to the center diff !!!! It def is not like the Arrmas !! FWIW , I have never entered any of the diffs on this truck til now , and actually they all still feel good , but haven't opened them up yet .

Well , all in all , the ( my ) Xmaxx has been one that has been the truck that has always came back in running condition , I have / had 4 big trucks , Xmaxx , K8S , Losi DBXL-E , and Losi SBR 2.0 , the one that I worry about the least of breaking on a crash or bad landing was the Xmaxx .
However , the K8S without question has a way more stout drivetrain , jumps and flies better , soaks up terrain better ,
The whole bearings thing , well , I drove this Xmaxx a lot in wet condition / snow and never did that with my others , so guess it's to be expected . Love driving it in the snow with the paddle tires !!!

Yup !!! During this teardown , I was like what a PIA to get to the center diff !!!! It def is not like the Arrmas !! FWIW , I have never entered any of the diffs on this truck til now , and actually they all still feel good , but haven't opened them up yet .
Haha thats me with my k8s/o8s diffs too! took me a year to check my k8s diffs for the first time and that was only because I finally noticeed a problem after installing castle 2028 and accidently going full punch wheelie. :ROFLMAO:

Haha thats me with my k8s/o8s diffs too! took me a year to check my k8s diffs for the first time and that was only because I finally noticeed a problem after installing castle 2028 and accidently going full punch wheelie.

:ROFLMAO:
Today I was just watching your vid of you and your girl at the BMX track before school got out , you girl was driving great killing backflips , but when you hit the edge of the sidewalk with the O8S and it dead stopped !!!! I was like Ooooooooooooh !!!! That's broken !!! And the sound of when you land on the sidewalk is like metal " SLAP" !!!

I am about to do a full rebuild on mine as last time I had it out it got soaked then something silly broke yet again 5 minutes into the first set of packs and I chucked it in the shed for a month and it is seized solid. Told myself if a re-power with the max5/1100kv combo doesn't make me like it it is going.

I'm convinced mine is a lemon at this point and I hate the thing!
Not sure the validity on this as I just run stock power but I think the Max5 might be a bit much? Sounds like the Max6 is perfect for these rigs. If I swap out my VXL8s I will go Max6 with the stock motor.

Duperbash broke his stock Xmaxx's quite a bit when adding mega power.

All about perspective but I think stock power is fine for a truck this size :LOL:

Today I was just watching your vid of you and your girl at the BMX track before school got out , you girl was driving great killing backflips , but when you hit the edge of the sidewalk with the O8S and it dead stopped !!!! I was like Ooooooooooooh !!!! That's broken !!! And the sound of when you land on the sidewalk is like metal " SLAP" !!!
ROFL bro I literally did the same exact thing today but this time there was damage. I tweaked the front of the chassis and busted the front arm. Broke another battery tray too. I broke one the first time it happened as well. I literally just got done ordering a m2c chassis before I typed this post too. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Freaking 315$ for 2 stiffner bar ends and o8s essential kit with chassis and bellcrank. Feelsbad after I just spent 800 on a dbxl.

Not sure the validity on this as I just run stock power but I think the Max5 might be a bit much? Sounds like the Max6 is perfect for these rigs. If I swap out my VXL8s I will go Max6 with the stock motor.

All about perspective but I think stock power is fine for a truck this size :LOL:
When mine was all stock on the Traxxas 6700mah batteries it would get stupid run time , like 40-45 minutes !!!!

It seems like a lot of people use max 6's in the xmax and now XRT but that just seems crazy to me. My max 6 thermal'd so much in my felony I took it out. I know I gear a little aggressively but damn lol. It's hard for me to believe people can bash a full pack on an xmaxx/xrt with a max 6 and not thermal.

Maybe it's better than I give it credit for. I know a big part of it is definitely what motor you have powered with it too. The Traxxas XRT can't even backflip majority of the time with stock esc though.

That is what I have decided to do , go with the Max6 on stock motor cause I can always use the Max6 if needed for any of my Arrma 6s rigs !!

It seems like a lot of people use max 6's in the xmax and now XRT but that just seems crazy to me. My max 6 thermal'd so much in my felony I took it out. I know I gear a little aggressively but damn lol. It's hard for me to believe people can bash a full pack on an xmaxx/xrt with a max 6 and not thermal.

Maybe it's better than I give it credit for. I know a big part of it is definitely what motor you have powered with it too. The Traxxas XRT can't even backflip majority of the time with stock esc though.
But @Moirae I have seen your vids :LOL:.

Joking aside, speed run cars pull ridiculous sustained amps compared to MT's most of the time. If you run em hard I would definitly reccomend better cooling on the Max series esc's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back