Kraton Xpress.. builds a Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpress..

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Outcast 8s
Hello everyone. Introduction: An avid modeler for 22+ years, mostly airplanes, but I've been known to party hard with cars too. Professional industry experience includes employment history with Hitec, as well as having a number of airplane sponsors over the years, and working in and out of various hobby shops in between industry jobs. Currently employed in the hobby industry. Introduction over.

Managed to miss the Fireteam sale so bought a 6S Kraton instead. I plan on bashing, destroying, upgrading, and repeating this process until I have a rig I am either bored with or can't upgrade any further.

20221217_105541.jpg

The VERY first day out, I managed to break the plastic upper rear hinge pin block- I'm about as ginger with my trucks as Kevin Talbot is with his so this was expected. EXB hinge pin block ordered. My hobby shop experience also tells me the plastic center diff is prone to issue in our environment here given we run on a LOT of rocks of various sizes- the rocks get wedged inside and basically cut the diff to shreds. Aluminum Arrma center diff also ordered. These parts will be here today so I will install these today.

20221217_184914.jpg

LOL thanks fella's!

Arrma center diff and EXB Upper Hinge Pin support showed up so I threw them on during my lunch break since I get to work at home :cool:

Also installed last night were EXB front and rear shock towers, and EXB front and rear chassis braces. Was hoping my EXB front bash bumper would arrive today with my RPM rear wing supports, but the purple and orange Santa must've got held up in snowmageddon.

Thinking about swapping steering servo sometime soon :unsure: I've actually had awesome success with stock SPM servos, I just set end points and they seem to work fine.

20221222_145822.jpg

20221222_145801.jpg

LOL thanks fella's!

Arrma center diff and EXB Upper Hinge Pin support showed up so I threw them on during my lunch break since I get to work at home :cool:

Also installed last night were EXB front and rear shock towers, and EXB front and rear chassis braces. Was hoping my EXB front bash bumper would arrive today with my RPM rear wing supports, but the purple and orange Santa must've got held up in snowmageddon.

Thinking about swapping steering servo sometime soon :unsure: I've actually had awesome success with stock SPM servos, I just set end points and they seem to work fine.

View attachment 264371

View attachment 264372
I would recommend ditching those crap button head motor mount screws, assuming you can get them out. They tend to strip out super easily, so I always replace them w/ capheads & washers

That's the plan eventually, however I've already removed them with relative ease and re-installed with the proper mesh.

That's the plan eventually, however I've already removed them with relative ease and re-installed with the proper mesh.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Arrma forum btw, loving the look of your kraton! I bought a k6 roller from a member here about 3 weeks ago & just started driving it, loving it, getting ready to throw some $$ into mine as well

Welcome! This is going to be fun to follow!

Thank you gents! FedEx man delivered my package with more parts to a conveniently vacant household for the next few days. Hopefully the porch bandits don't re-home it for me... :eek:

Merry Christmas all. Myself and my brother have been absolutely flogging the K6S the last couple of days and she has been strong and solid. Absolutely need that heat sink and fan for the motor now.

20221224_134616.jpg

20221224_134655.jpg

Added some more farkles to the K6S tonight. Bash bumper installed, and RPM rear wing mounts installed. Ordered an Amazon special dual fan/heat sink thing today as well so that should be here by end of week.

What should I upgrade next? :unsure:

20221227_174338.jpg

20221227_181123.jpg

Last of the upgrades, for now... 😈

These fans are a bit noisy so we'll see how they do after some time. Also, I'm not so sure about the heatsink these came with, it seems rather small but I guess we will know after this weekend.

Just running the truck the past few days, I can tell the center diff needs thicker fluid. Thinking of switching to 500k as it came pre-filled with 200k- I don't want to lock it up, i just want a bit more positive engagement out of the rear. Have also been thinking of grabbing a LSD for the rear as well. :unsure:

323007729_858878258659706_4338527929964129603_n.jpg

61qQwDdTaAL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Last of the upgrades, for now... 😈

These fans are a bit noisy so we'll see how they do after some time. Also, I'm not so sure about the heatsink these came with, it seems rather small but I guess we will know after this weekend.

Just running the truck the past few days, I can tell the center diff needs thicker fluid. Thinking of switching to 500k as it came pre-filled with 200k- I don't want to lock it up, i just want a bit more positive engagement out of the rear. Have also been thinking of grabbing a LSD for the rear as well. :unsure:

View attachment 265791

View attachment 265792
how's your chassis doing. just wondering as no one has complained about them bending on the v5

how's your chassis doing. just wondering as no one has complained about them bending on the v5
I bent the rear of the v5 chassis on my stretched typhon. Really not sure how even, meaning that I can't pinpoint one particular wreck. The back ended up w/ a kick-up just like the front, didn't find out until I physically couldn't get the rear chassis brace to go back in (had it apart to fix the rear suspension block, among other things 😉)

Straight as an arrow so far.

i enjoyed watching you build the truck up. I agree whatever breaks next, that’s what you should upgrade. If you follow this route, you should have eventually a pretty bullet proof truck for what you run it in. Welcome to the forum 👋

Thanks!

Actually thinking of these upgrades next:

-HR aluminum front diff mount
-HR 4mm shock standoff kit
-EXB Servo mount
-Rear LSD

Last night I decided to bust open the center diff and see why the differential was driving the front end so aggressively. My mistake, should've checked beforehand, and yeah the fluid was nothing more than a light coating on the gears inside. I cleaned out the existing fluid and refilled with some 100k fluid (factory diff fluid is 200cst, or 20wt). MUCH stiffer now, but still may go up to 500K fluid soon.
And yeah, no photos because I'm not touching my cell phone covered in diff oil 😆

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back