Typhon XR8, Max6 or other esc for typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
What is the best ESC for the Typhon?

I don't need one just yet but would like to know what all my options are if the BLX185 ever dies. I'm in the UK so a lot of escs that you US guys can get easily we have to pay a premium for..

Its mainly for bashing, I'm not a speed runner or huge jumper and 50-60mph would be ample enough speed for me. More power for better drift handling control would still be nice though..

I'd like to use the Typhons stock esc mount location so nothing bigger than a Max6..

HV bec only please.. for my HV brushless servo.

Higher amperage vs sensored - The Max6 is a bit more capable in amperage than the XR8 + but it cant do sensored.... If I go with the XR8 + I'll most definately get a sensored motor upgrade at some point.

I'm thinking XR8 + at this point for it being able to do sensored but worried that I might be limiting my motor upgrade options... What sensored motors match the XR8 + well and how big an upgrade will they be over stock?

Can't decide.. What would you go for and why? Any advice would be much apreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have been moving to Castle recently, with a pair of MMX this year. Really liking these ESCs. Running uncensored, they are still smooth, much better than the BLX185 or BLX200. I have not used a Xr8 or a max6.

The MMX does do sensored, and it is waterproof. BEC is decent too, I have both of mine set to 7.2v.

What is the best ESC for the Typhon?

I don't need one just yet but would like to know what all my options are if the BLX185 ever dies. I'm in the UK so a lot of escs that you US guys can get easily we have to pay a premium for..

Its mainly for bashing, I'm not a speed runner or huge jumper and 50-60mph would be ample enough speed for me. More power for better drift handling control would still be nice though..

I'd like to use the Typhons stock esc mount location so nothing bigger than a Max6..

HV bec only please.. for my HV brushless servo.

Higher amperage vs sensored - The Max6 is a bit more capable in amperage than the XR8 + but it cant do sensored.... If I go with the XR8 + I'll most definately get a sensored motor upgrade at some point.

I'm thinking XR8 + at this point for it being able to do sensored but worried that I might be limiting my motor upgrade options... What sensored motors match the XR8 + well and how big an upgrade will they be over stock?

Can't decide.. What would you go for and why? Any advice would be much apreciated. Thanks.
You can use a sensorless motor with a sensored ESC. I run a Castle Mamba X with their 1515-2200kv sensored motor in mine, but I don't use the sensor cable so it runs is sensorless mode.

I'm running a Max8 in my Kraton and so far it works fine..??
For us Brits I believe the Castle stuff is too expensive vs Hobbywing, but I would love to try one of the Castle esc's because I've heard lots of good things about them..

You can use a sensorless motor with a sensored ESC. I run a Castle Mamba X with their 1515-2200kv sensored motor in mine, but I don't use the sensor cable so it runs is sensorless mode.
Curious why? If you have it, why not use it?

I didn't need it in my savage, but chose the MMX at the time vs the MMv2 so I could get logging. I got the MMX/2200kv sensored combo. Having sensored takes as much shock out of the start as you can. Figured it would be best for the diffs/drive cups to not have that initial lurching a non-sensored has.

Curious why? If you have it, why not use it?

I didn't need it in my savage, but chose the MMX at the time vs the MMv2 so I could get logging. I got the MMX/2200kv sensored combo. Having sensored takes as much shock out of the start as you can. Figured it would be best for the diffs/drive cups to not have that initial lurching a non-sensored has.
Not waterproof when running the cable and I can't find where I put it ?

I sealed the bejebus out of mine with RTV where it plugs into the motor. From what I gather, if water does get in it, it just goes to non-sensored mode until it dries up. I've never dunked it in a pond or anything, but have gotten it reasonably damp in wet grass and haven't had any issues.

I sealed the bejebus out of mine with RTV where it plugs into the motor. From what I gather, if water does get in it, it just goes to non-sensored mode until it dries up. I've never dunked it in a pond or anything, but have gotten it reasonably damp in wet grass and haven't had any issues.
It more of me losing the cable and not giving a sh!t. It's such a pain in the ass to access the logs anyway. It's just not that important to me and it still runs great unsensored ???

It more of me losing the cable and not giving a sh!t. It's such a pain in the ass to access the logs anyway. It's just not that important to me and it still runs great unsensored ???
I hear you there. Since castle esc's require you to unplug them from the receiver (which is completely retarded), I use a splitter and ziptie it so the plug goes into it from the side of the chassis. Then I can unplug it, download it/adjusted it, plug it back in with very little fuss. I use the other side of the splitter to power the fans, so I never have to open my receiver box.

If your happy with the stock power I would go with the Max8 for reason mentioned above and you save a few bucks. Unless you upgrade your motor as well to something more powerful the Max6 won’t do a lot more for you

I hear you there. Since castle esc's require you to unplug them from the receiver (which is completely retarded), I use a splitter and ziptie it so the plug goes into it from the side of the chassis. Then I can unplug it, download it/adjusted it, plug it back in with very little fuss. I use the other side of the splitter to power the fans, so I never have to open my receiver box.
Get a second Castle harness. Unplug the harness in the car, and plug in the spare, and you can program ...

Guy I bought a used MMX told me this trick.

Xr8 plus is basically bulletproof , castle is less forgiving and hard hits cause them to break with time, the castle system is the nicer esc to have with alot better programming capabilities. For bashing hobbywing , for Lush castle .. tekin go well to but as with castle , you need to pay close attention to the esc or they go bang.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back