Yeah Racing Heatsink & Fan Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Which way works better, what’s the advantages/disadvantages of both setups.

EDIT: It’s for a Notorious if that makes any difference ??

9796FB19-9496-49D7-97C8-8039FB29CF1A.jpeg

Last edited:
I feel like you’d be better off using 2B for best cooling performance.. I’d guess the other option is for if you needed wires run right there for whatever reason or some
Other clearance issues? But I think 2B will be best for cooling.

Depends on the rig. On my Typhon 6s I don’t have space for the standoffs. On my speed GT cars, I do space and raise them up.

I don't think stands are helpful, having air forced across thos fins is the best idea.
Depends on the rig. On my Typhon 6s I don’t have space for the standoffs. On my speed GT cars, I do space and raise them up.
Why do use use the stands? Genuinely curious ;)

Does it really give "higher" air flow? Wonder if it has anything to do with vertexes or eddie's...maybe it helps by allowing more air to flow down the side fins or something? Wonder if it'd make a difference having an edf blowing air cross wise. One would think the stands wouldn't be much help then as the air exiting the fan would be bullied out of the way by the edf... theoretically?

Both are fine but if you can space them out, the better. Not all fans have good static pressure and they lose cfm. It clearly says you get ‘higher’ air flow when raised on the manual.
This, and for those who don't know what static pressure means Google it

I don't think stands are helpful, having air forced across thos fins is the best idea.

Because the body is right there and I don’t have clearance.

Oh, so putting the stands on helps with clearance more than anything?
The stands help spread the air from the fans around the sides more and have less static pressure. It makes the fans taller, which won’t fit under the Typhon body.

2B appears to be more structurally sound, cleaner looking too.
It may be impossible to measure the differences in temperature unless both these setups are run side by side in test beds.......laboratory styles.

I would use the standoffs if you can. Fans can be “choked out” both by restricting too much of the entrance and the exit areas. When I’m positioning fans, I turn them on and make sure they don’t go up in pitch (which means they’re more stressed) once they’re installed in the final position.

Basically if you don’t use stands, a lot of the fan’s air deflects off the motor and hits the fan in the face, causing it to operate slower because it’s fighting itself.

Basically if you don’t use stands, a lot of the fan’s air deflects off the motor and hits the fan in the face, causing it to operate slower because it’s fighting itself.
That all depends on how the fan blades are spaced. Some are designed for higher static pressure and are fine mounted close. Others will choke as you say. The more space between blades means it can handle the static pressure.

That all depends on how the fan blades are spaced. Some are designed for higher static pressure and are fine mounted close. Others will choke as you say. The more space between blades means it can handle the static pressure.
Ah I got you. But theoretically won’t a fan with widely spaced blades still provide more air when it’s spaced away... just not as dramatic of a result as one more sensitive to choking?

Ah I got you. But theoretically won’t a fan with widely spaced blades still provide more air when it’s spaced away... just not as dramatic of a result as one more sensitive to choking?
There’s a fine line where if the blades are too far apart that it doesn’t move as much air. So you want them as tightly spaced as your environment allows due to static pressure. When you have a fan made for static pressure, it usually runs faster to make up for the loss. This means more power drawn. There’s always a trade off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back