Yes, Lipo question from a Nitro guy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackintoR/C

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Summer of 22 I bought the Typhon 3S BLX. I initially bought a Spectrum 2S battery and charger kit (Because I was new). I soon took this forum's advice and got CNHL Black 3S 11.1V / 5000mAh / 65C Lipo. As you forum members stated, the performance difference would be/is great!!
My question is, what performance change (run time, burst, etc.) Am I likely see with a CNHL Racing 3S 6200mAh / 90C Lipo I just ordered. I realize the G+Plus version is more highly rated, but that won't fit in my battery tray.
I am assuming the "Racing" series Lipo will at least be better than the "Black" series I currently have. To me, that Lipo seems to give tone of performance.
If it makes a difference, I run in some dirt and short grass soccer fields, etc. I also have street tires for pavement.
So far I haven't had a chance to run more than about 100 yards in open air, no power lines, no issues. Looking to see how much further it goes this summer. Thanks for the help!!! Karl

Summer of 22 I bought the Typhon 3S BLX. I initially bought a Spectrum 2S battery and charger kit (Because I was new). I soon took this forum's advice and got CNHL Black 3S 11.1V / 5000mAh / 65C Lipo. As you forum members stated, the performance difference would be/is great!!
My question is, what performance change (run time, burst, etc.) Am I likely see with a CNHL Racing 3S 6200mAh / 90C Lipo I just ordered. I realize the G+Plus version is more highly rated, but that won't fit in my battery tray.
I am assuming the "Racing" series Lipo will at least be better than the "Black" series I currently have. To me, that Lipo seems to give tone of performance.
If it makes a difference, I run in some dirt and short grass soccer fields, etc. I also have street tires for pavement.
So far I haven't had a chance to run more than about 100 yards in open air, no power lines, no issues. Looking to see how much further it goes this summer. Thanks for the help!!! Karl

It really depends on Your driving Style (stunts, jumps, all out ripping etc), Weather (hot or Cold) ,plus your driving environment (flat fields, gravel, hills, grassy, or sandy etc.)
Thing is -since you're fairly new.. is to try the pack you bought out a couple of charges to see how it does to Your expectations..

You could get more runtime than advertised OR Less.
There's just so many variable to say for certain until you've give it a solid couple of runs..

No matter how long or short you end up getting out of the pack ,if it puts a Big azz smile on your face ,it's well worth the investment. 😉👍

Last edited:
I suspect there will be a small performance improvement. More than anything I think the run time will be noticeably different. Bigger capacity coupled with a likely better actual c rating will mean the battery will be able to extract more total mah's.

Either way, you're more likely now to run into an issue with too much heat rather than "too much performance" ;)

Bigger capacity coupled with a likely better actual c rating will mean the battery will be able to extract more total mah's.
Wouldn’t those two factors have opposite effects?

If the current battery’s C rating is limiting, then upgrading to a higher C rating would burn through capacity faster, not slower.

Thanks for the input. I don't generally do long full speed bursts. Just shorter, say 30-50 yards. Mostly variable speed. I don't do any big jumps like on R/C race tracks, and NO tall grass. It's all short golf coarse style cut like 1".
I use a Spectrum S2100 Smart Charger, and always storage charge the Lipo's. I also have a Tenery 5-in-1 Cell meter. The cells aways seem to be very balanced, but I have not figured out how to do an actual "balance", unless the S2100 does that while it is dong the "Storage " charge.

If the current battery’s C rating is limiting, then upgrading to a higher C rating would burn through capacity faster, not slower.
I think in theory, you are correct. How I see it.:unsure:

I've definitely seen some debate on that. Higher potential discharge usually means more power on tap (more "punchy" batteries). But it doesn't always mean you are necessarily using that power. Though it does means you will trip low voltage cutoff much later, thanks to the reduced voltage sag of the better packs. So a crappy 5000mah battery might trip lvc at 3.8v per cell while a good 5000mah battery might continue until 3.4v or whatever the LVC threshold is.

I see your point though. Either way, as long as you aren't going lower C with a higher mah, then you should see better run times and performance.

I've definitely seen some debate on that. Higher potential discharge usually means more power on tap (more "punchy" batteries). But it doesn't always mean you are necessarily using that power. Though it does means you will trip low voltage cutoff much later, thanks to the reduced voltage sag of the better packs. So a crappy 5000mah battery might trip lvc at 3.8v per cell while a good 5000mah battery might continue until 3.4v or whatever the LVC threshold is.

I see your point though. Either way, as long as you aren't going lower C with a higher mah, then you should see better run times and performance.
Good point about LVC since that impacts runtime, and a lower C-rating battery may dip under the LVC limit sooner.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back