Outcast You call that a stunt truck? This is a stunt truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tktran303

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Since my Outcast is sitting quietly under the Christmas tree, I've been living dangerously through other people's running videos. And I came across another short wheelbase monster truck-
the Tekno MT410.

I don't know whether it's the drivers or the cars, but this thing looks incredible:

Has anyone managed this trick?

From all the running videos I've seen so far, it's good at jumps and wheelies, but I haven't seen any driving like that on ARRMA's website.

Can they be done with an out-of-the-box setup? (ie. stock with 12T pinion with 4S or 6S).
If not, what does it take for the Outcast to do this type of thing? (Self-righting, sliding its back, going from its back to front).

First vid - Tekin ESC and SMC racing motor 1900kv - I am thinking his self-righting is all about punch. Arrma seems to love to turn down the punch. That sensored SMC motor probably has similar power, but better low end, and with a Tekin to drive it, any "punch control" can be turned off. Past that, should be tires and skill?

Second vid - Good lawd, that WHIP! The dude has skills.

First vid - Tekin ESC and SMC racing motor 1900kv - I am thinking his self-righting is all about punch. Arrma seems to love to turn down the punch. That sensored SMC motor probably has similar power, but better low end, and with a Tekin to drive it, any "punch control" can be turned off. Past that, should be tires and skill?

Second vid - Good lawd, that WHIP! The dude has skills.

According to the Outcast manual the punch setting is on 4.

But it doesn't explain what "punch" is , or what effect changing to 1 up to 9 would do.

Any ideas?

Punch is kind of a amp/torque control. Lowering the punch gives the motor less amps - which gives it less punch - less oomph - less chootspa off the line. To do wheelies, you need max torque on instantly - or as close as you can get it.

Punch control is great for race cars, as it will give you traction on lower grip tracks. But for a stunt truck, I would want it turned off.

I'm leaving my Outcast punch at 4 for now as SWB on 6s with huge knobs it still wheelie's like mad. At some point you need the fronts to turn not just launch north. To each his own, but this little guy packs a serious punch by its own design.

Attachments

• IMG_1239.PNG
    IMG_1239.PNG
    228.9 KB · Views: 89
I've now experimented with the BLX185 ESC settings.

Punch setting 9 allows for the most rapid acceleration- ideal for popping wheelies/backflipping.

Punch setting 1 creates the "calmest" acceleration- protects tyres and geartrains, or for newbies like me, who will be running 3S first up.

Last edited:
From all the running videos I've seen so far, it's good at jumps and wheelies, but I haven't seen any driving like that on ARRMA's website.

Can they be done with an out-of-the-box setup? (ie. stock with 12T pinion with 4S or 6S).
If not, what does it take for the Outcast to do this type of thing? (Self-righting, sliding its back, going from its back to front).

My Outcast will not right itself with the stock 12 tooth pinion but it will on 6s with the 16 tooth if you play with the throttle. I have not messed with the punch settings. I imagine that with higher punch and the 16 tooth it would flip itself right over. If you haven't tried the 16 tooth pinion you will be surprised at how differently the outcast behaves with it.

No need for higher punch I would think for those running on 6S.
As Rich noted above, the truck seems to have more than enough grunt with default settings on 6S.
Now if you are running 4S, I can totally see how a little more punch would be of benefit.
I plan to eventually move the punch up a few notches, and slap on the 16T pinion.
May need to add some more viscous diff fluid to get to the point where wheelies are possible on all terrain though.

My Outcast will not right itself with the stock 12 tooth pinion but it will on 6s with the 16 tooth if you play with the throttle. I have not messed with the punch settings. I imagine that with higher punch and the 16 tooth it would flip itself right over. If you haven't tried the 16 tooth pinion you will be surprised at how differently the outcast behaves with it.

So what was the most noticeable trait after putting the 16T on?
Top end, acceleration, or all the above?
What battery are you running?

So what was the most noticeable trait after putting the 16T on?
Top end, acceleration, or all the above?
What battery are you running?
I didn't have a ton of space to test top end but it will bring the front tires up pretty much anywhere you want, and it is wildly fast.
When you go off a jump with the 12 tooth there's not a ton of throttle left to play with and a good portion of the Tim you don't have enough time for a backflip, with the 16 tooth pinion you have lots of throttle left and when you hammer it on jump lips the insane wheel speed makes even double backflips relatively easy. Also I tried to do a standing backdrop with the 12 and the best it will do is flip itself on its top. If you have good traction with the 16 tooth pinion it will flip completely over easily. There's also enough wheel speed to right itself from being upside down if you hammer the throttle right. 6s on the 16 tooth pinion sometimes looks like the car is possessed and just flopping around like an angry demon, seemingly defying gravity.
I don't remember my battery brand but they are 3s 5200mAh 50c.

Well then, 16T it shall be.
I am running on 4S, so the added teeth will definitely provide some extra panache!
I didn't have a ton of space to test top end but it will bring the front tires up pretty much anywhere you want, and it is wildly fast.
When you go off a jump with the 12 tooth there's not a ton of throttle left to play with and a good portion of the Tim you don't have enough time for a backflip, with the 16 tooth pinion you have lots of throttle left and when you hammer it on jump lips the insane wheel speed makes even double backflips relatively easy. Also I tried to do a standing backdrop with the 12 and the best it will do is flip itself on its top. If you have good traction with the 16 tooth pinion it will flip completely over easily. There's also enough wheel speed to right itself from being upside down if you hammer the throttle right. 6s on the 16 tooth pinion sometimes looks like the car is possessed and just flopping around like an angry demon, seemingly defying gravity.
I don't remember my battery brand but they are 3s 5200mAh 50c.

I like how the video is shot in a long take. Apart from the repair job in the middle, he shows it warts and all- guts and glory. So they're not just cherry picked "best-of" Outcast tricks.

My conclusion from this video is this- to do self righting, laying on back to wheels, double/triple backflips is that you need more power at low RPM. 6S/16T (or 18T/4S as Warbux has demonstrated)
And try and keep the weight down (Vas used a 600g 4000mah battery instead of the 1kg 6000mah pack he previously advertised for Hobbyking). He also used very thick centre diff oil (500K), though someone else will have to educate me on what difference that would make for stunts.

Oh...and hills and skills.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back