You shoulda bought an Outcast - My 4s Granite Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So even the Phillips head screw off rpm Typhon arms that barely even reaches the pin enough to hold it takes away too much room to keep the wheels from rubbing. And I wouldn't shim more than around a millimeter or you risk ruining your wheel hexes so gonna shelf those wheels for now.

Gonna have to pick up some hex extenders after all if I wanna run em on the Granite 🤷

@GRC Your build thread is amazing btw I wish I would have seen it sooner would have saved me alot of headache/heartache.

You did save me $40 off m2c took your advice on just getting the motor plate instead of the combo. 👍

How do you like the 2400 with the 18t? Still running cool geared up? I'm running the 3s motor till she blows but was on the fence about what to throw in next.
Grub screw. Try a grub screw instead of that silly Phillips head. The below kit is fantastic and I use them any time I need a grub screw (except for tightening the pinion). For pinions I use a flat point.

Most grub screws are cup point that have limited connection with the motor shaft. I haven’t had a pinion loosen once I started using flat point. I also use longer grub screws then provided, 12.9 tool steel and long as I can fit (5mm for most pinions I use). I haven’t stripped one of the longer screws out since I started using them.

8040F681-32ED-4B00-97E0-8233BAB394DA.png

4127C2A6-5011-480C-87F4-19D7F3AF11E6.png

Grub screw. Try a grub screw instead of that silly Phillips head. The below kit is fantastic and I use them any time I need a grub screw (except for tightening the pinion). For pinions I use a flat point.

Most grub screws are cup point that have limited connection with the motor shaft. I haven’t had a pinion loosen once I started using flat point. I also use longer grub screws then provided, 12.9 tool steel and long as I can fit (5mm for most pinions I use). I haven’t stripped one of the longer screws out since I started using them.

View attachment 219062

View attachment 219063

This is the I'm talking about. I've returned it to what it had. The unfortunately pin sits in a separate hole above the retainer screw so you need enough material so that the screw reaches the pin to keep it in. On BackFlip LPs as you can see, any washer will do because there is tons of room. The Kyosho tires are almost flat where they mount.

If the hinge pin was in the same hole as the retainer screw your idea would work awesome. 👍4s rpm arms are different for whatever reason.
🤷
IMG_20220522_111353391_HDR~3.jpg

Last edited:
This is the I'm talking about. I've returned it to what it had. The unfortunately pin sits in a separate hole above the retainer screw so you need enough material so that the screw reaches the pin to keep it in. On BackFlip LPs as you can see, any washer will do because there is tons of room. The Kyosho tires are almost flat where they mount.

If the hinge pin was in the same hole as the retainer screw your idea would work awesome. 👍4s rpm arms are different for whatever reason.
🤷
View attachment 219068
I got what you mean now. I was thinking of the arms where that screw goes directly into the pin hole…3s arms I think. Too lazy to go look right now. It’s Sunday 😂

How do you like the 2400 with the 18t? Still running cool geared up? I'm running the 3s motor till she blows but was on the fence about what to throw in next.
Still evaluating. Today I threw the 3200 kv, 15t back in to see if I noticed any difference in performance. I really didn't, but the 3200kv definitely runs hotter. I'm probably going to go back to the 2400kv with 18t. One caveat though, I'm ramp bashing. I'm not even close to top speed, so there may be a difference in top speed that I wouldn't notice.

So shortly after the last time I posted on this thread I snapped my first chassis. Split it right where the steering assembly goes on the battery side. I took pictures but they didn't make it too my new phone so she's been benched for a while because I just haven't had much time lately to drive let alone sit down and wrench. But finally it's rebuild time!

I shelved the kyosho tires for now going for the suped up pick up look instead. After I killed the chassis I ended up building my boy a 2wd Senton over the summer using spare parts and the 3s motor I've been trying to kill in my Granit-Cast so going off of GRC's experience I went in the middle with this:

IMG_20220822_223943215_HDR.jpg

It's a bigger can and kv's in the middle between Arrma's 3s and 4s offerings. In fact I'm pretty sure it's the largest diameter you can fit without modification.
IMG_20220822_233722077_HDR.jpg

As you can see there's not much room either which way. To the point that to pull the power module you have to remove the electronics module first.

I threw in a 35kg servo same as my Notorious and put in a water proof flysky receiver since I had a gt2 just laying around and the SLT 3 I had is in my boy's Senton now.

I finally got a 3d rc 150a esc mount. The hole I drilled in the esc cover was wearing out from all the big air 😂 kept falling apart so should be good now.
IMG_20220822_222617281_HDR.jpg

The Notorious has taken up SkatePark duty full time now so this truck is gonna be a back up/ all rounder going forward. I haven't given up on the giant Kyosho tires but until I can stomach paying $50 for wheel hexes I have them on hold. Got me some Mojave wheels instead. Lighten up the truck and give it that lifted, suped up pickup look.

I had a spare set of front shocks from when I first got my Noto and thought I was going to be snapping shock shafts every couple packs so I finally ripped them out of the bag and threw them on. Got some 6s Outcast rears for the rear off of Jenny's to complete the set. They fit fine. No difference in length for the rears vs the zds that were on there and negligibly longer in the front. A little stiff though so we'll see how it handles. RPM arms have an outer mounting hole so I used that and placed the ride height adjustment nuts as high as they'll go.

I have a twin fan just like the one on my Noto coming in the mail. Though now that it's all together I'm honestly not sure it'll fit with everything else so close. 🤔 13 tooth pinion for now so I can still use my Outcast LPs if I want to. If I like it like this well enough I'll add some teeth.

Here she is in all her glory:

IMG_20220822_235239164.jpg

IMG_20220822_235206394.jpg

IMG_20220823_001519412.jpg

Soon as I get a chance to give her a rip I'll post how I like the Mojave wheels on there. I'm super stoked how it turned out feels good having everything back together again instead of in pieces on my bench. I think it looks ABSOLUTELY EPIIICCCC 🤣😎🤘

Last edited:
Flags didn't last long 🤣
IMG_20220824_141128386_HDR.jpg

Anyone got some ideas for a flexible material to use in place of the dowels? I want to take the actual flag part off and put them on something better.

I took her for a rip in the back yard today. Man I missed this truck. I really, REALLY dig the Mojave wheels too. Dropped the truck weight down to 8.4 lbs without a battery. Handles like a dream which is amazing considering the Granite wheelbase. The new motor ran great on 4s. Not quite as cracked out as the stock 3s motor, but still more juice than I can use even trying for a top speed on my street. I have a feeling this is gonna be the fastest truck in my line up. Can't wait to race it against the Maxx next time I get to the hill top.

Temps with no fan are in the 140's to low 150's on the can so I'm pretty much topped out on teeth which is kinda disappointing I was expecting a little more out of the bigger can. If I go back to backflip lps I'll just have to keep an eye on hot days.
IMG_20220824_140009386_HDR.jpg

The ups guy dropped off my motor fan as I was about to wrap up so that should definitely help.
IMG_20220824_140825421_HDR.jpg

It barely fits 😂 if the heatsink wrapped around any further I'd be SOL. There's only about 3mm between the motor and the drive shaft, thankfully the heat sink when twisted towards the side doesn't reach that far.

It's not going to be much of a stunt truck in it's current config I'm thinking with the smaller wheels but we'll see next time I get to a place with some jumps. But it makes up for it with a tighter turning radius and much better handling. Should hopefully keep the slipper happier too time will tell 🤘

IMG_20220917_083942418.jpg

Got the bashing gear on today! I just can't help myself 🤣 so much power in a tiny package NEEDS to be SENT consequences be damned!

Probably last bash of the season anyway next vacation is in winter 🥶 and it's gonna get busy fast

On 4s it's truely everything you'd want in a stunt truck now. I just can't keep it running for more than 1 pack if I even get that. Stupid crap power module. I'm gonna have to soak the screws in alcohol or something I put red loctite on those fiddlestickers and they still backed out.

Everything else is solid even after what I put it through it's literally just the slipper and everything that's directly involved with it.

And I blew a tire anyways 😂 (just needs glued again) so probably for the best.

Kraton stole the Backflips so it's got old Amazon Specials on there right now when it's not wearing Mojave wheels.

I need a go pro

Same vid on the Noto build thread.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back