You staring my body...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
So after 2 months of ? weather I have finally finished my first body of the year..!!

I would like this to be a beginners guide sort of, with some basic explanation and my methods of painting..?
I'm going to post all my future bodies here too, so they're all in one place.

So here goes... JConcepts 88' Chevy Silverado #0332

IMG_5119.jpeg

Colors for this one are....

IMG_5441.jpeg

First part of any paint job is deciding on your colors, for this one I wanted something trick and bright but at the same time dark..!!?
Whenever I paint bodies I normally use Johnsons baby shampoo to wash the inside of the body, you can also use isopropyl with good effect too.
A good paint job is all in the prep work, some people cut the body first and some cut last I've always cut first..??

For masking you can use tape or liquid mask, I tend to use both depending on what and where I want to mask off.

On this project I used:
Hobbynox Fineline Tape Soft Green 3.0mm x 55m HN303055
Killer Body Overspray Vinyl Masking Tape (14m / 2,4cm) KB48064
Tamiya Paint PS-41, PS-42, PS-5, PS-31

Body all cut including body post holes, first lot of tape down and window masks in place..???
I would always advise 24hrs between coats if your doing more than one color, I was good with this as the weather was so bad I had weeks between coats ??

IMG_5198.jpeg
IMG_5199.jpeg
IMG_5201.jpeg

First color down, I did 4 very light coats about 8-10" away from the body like a mist so as not to get streaks ( very important with translucent colors )
You still want to be able to see through the body at this stage, solid color but see through if that makes sense ??

IMG_5315.jpeg
IMG_5318.jpeg

Next up, remove some of the tape ready for the next color..?
Backed the yellow with the bright silver, can't remember exactly how many coats, but enough so it's not see through anymore ??
If you hold it up to the light you will be able to know if it's covered well enough...

IMG_5323.jpeg

I got a small amount of bleed on the front bumper as the original tape had been on too long and lifted slightly, so had to add an extra piece of tape..?

IMG_5321.jpeg

Time to remove more tape ready for the next color ??
I gave the body another clean on the inside to clean up any residue from the tape, that amount of tape left on for nearly two months is always going to cause problems..?

IMG_5327.jpeg
IMG_5330.jpeg
IMG_5333.jpeg

Next up is the final color, I used a whole tin of the black to finish this off so it was a good solid black..??
It was starting to look really good now, but most of the pictures just don't show up the color well..? but trust me it looks good..?

IMG_5374.jpeg
IMG_5380.jpeg

Lastly I lightly painted smoke on the side and rear windows, I then left it for about week before I did anymore to it to let the paint dry properly and harden up.
The wait was killing me but luckily been busy at work and all it's done is rain...???
It's really hard to see the smoke in this pic ?
Same applies to the smoke as translucent colors, use very light mist coats or you'll end up with patchy windows ??

IMG_5428.jpeg

Next up is re-enforcing and the grand reveal...?

So onto the re-enforcing of the body and re-fitting the cage...
I took a gamble and ordered a Notorious roll cage with the hope it would fit this body..?
So the bad points, after checking the body closely I noticed that one of the front window pillars had a small bit of paint missing where the window mask had held on too well..? and also a tiny bit of bleed on one of the side stripes, other than that all was good..??

IMG_5437.jpeg

To my amazement the roll cage fits like a glove..???
This body has turned out really well so far and I'm well pleased with it...?

IMG_5448.jpeg

Here is the bad pillar..? you can see the smoke a bit better in this pic..??

IMG_5449.jpeg
IMG_5450.jpeg
IMG_5466.jpeg

The best part next... peeling the top protective layer...? there are two tiny marks of black on the outside near the rear where the outer protective film had lifted a small amount, I had added extra masking tape but it still lifted..?
Other than that it's looking better and better, it's a shame the yellow doesn't show up here well..

IMG_5467.jpeg

Onto the re-enforcing, I used fibreglass re-enforced tape instead of duct tape or shoo goo and dry wall tape..!!
I have used the underside of the roll cage too with a small mod to the part that fits on the truck..??
Hopefully the body lasts longer than it took me to create...?????

IMG_5444.jpeg
IMG_5440.jpeg

Lastly the money shot, some outdoor pics in the sun today..??( first sun I've seen for months..?? )
I went with the less is more on the decals, I think it looks really nice..?

IMG_5499.jpeg
IMG_5483.jpeg
IMG_5479.jpeg
IMG_5488.jpeg
IMG_5490.jpeg

I think this last pic shows the yellow in all it's glory...??

IMG_5506.jpeg

So that's it, it's all done bar a couple of small decals I have on order..
Feel free to comment good or bad, any feedback is welcome..???

The final, final reveal will be in my build thread.....

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/bashingbrians-typhon-transformation.17157/

I took a gamble and ordered a Notorious roll cage with the hope it would fit this body..?
So the bad points, after checking the body closely I noticed that one of the front window pillars had a small bit of paint missing where the window mask had held on too well..? and also a tiny bit of bleed on one of the side stripes, other than that all was good..??

View attachment 70224

View attachment 70227

View attachment 70228View attachment 70229View attachment 70230

The best part next... peeling the top protective layer...? there are two tiny marks of black on the outside near the rear where the outer protective film had lifted a small amount, I had added extra masking tape but it still lifted..?
Other than that it's looking better and better, it's a shame the yellow doesn't show up here well..

View attachment 70231

Onto the re-enforcing, I used fibreglass re-enforced tape instead of duct tape or shoo goo and dry wall tape..!!
I have used the underside of the roll cage too with a small mod to the part that fits on the truck..??

View attachment 70226View attachment 70225

Lastly the money shot, some outdoor pics in the sun today..??( first sun I've seen for months..?? )

View attachment 70236View attachment 70233View attachment 70232View attachment 70234View attachment 70235

View attachment 70237

Wow! What a great job Brian. I have neither the ability or patience to accomplish a multi color paint scheme, and I'm really happy to see yours turned out so well. Well done and thanks for documenting the whole process.

@Notorious J ... by the way, you guessed the colors of the build too in another post a couple of months ago ???

Anyone could/can do this sort of thing with a little bit of time on their hands..??

Thanks for the kind words..?? ( wait till you see what I try next ? )

Body and truck turned out sweet. Perfect in between basher that can go anywhere. Have fun!
Thanks @Jimbobjr
Sorry I forgot to credit you for the battery tray mod ..?? ( best mod ever..!! )
Truck will probably be in the “what did you break today” thread by the weekend..???

View attachment 70224

View attachment 70227

View attachment 70228View attachment 70229View attachment 70230

View attachment 70231

View attachment 70226View attachment 70225

View attachment 70236View attachment 70233View attachment 70232View attachment 70234View attachment 70235

View attachment 70237

Love that body brotha, top work congrats!

I’ve never painted an rc car before - is it recommended to do a clear coat at the end over all the layers?

I’ve never painted an rc car before - is it recommended to do a clear coat at the end over all the layers?
The paint goes on the inside. You back it with a color like white or black.

Man that thing is sweet, love the color combo. And this next one is shaping up to be another awesome color combo. You did a great job. Now if I can find a body to fit my senton correctly, other than the flotek body.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back