ZD Racing shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also ordered the ZD racing shocks, to install them on my Typhon 3S.
I am a little bit confused. Obviously, they are a little bit to long, which can be solved by inserting some spacers inside the shock.

But on the other hand, I read people saying that the droop should not be determined by the maximum travel of the shock, but by for example droop screws. (But the 3S line does not have this)
Having the end of the travel being determined by the shock, means that the piston will slam into this end stop / spacer every time the wheel unloads, which would damage the piston.

And then I read people here saying that the pistons failed on the first run. Is that due to this?

If I don't shorten them, the maximum extension is probably determined by the length of the steering and camber links, not sure whether that would be any better...

I'm all honesty, they're not the best suited to the 3s range and take some dialing in tbh.

If you don't restrict the shock length, the main effect it has is rasing the ride height and c o g. So handling is really crap.

The droop on the 3s iirc is set by the shock length from factory so I don't think it's a major concern.

The big issue I found when reducing the stock length was the springs were way too long, adding to the pre load, so should be swapped out at the back as I feel they are too stiff anyway.

I've been running the stock 3s stocks again after a rebuild with new style o rings and they've been much better, until I kerbed it and trashed the fronts.

So now the zd fronts are back on and doing well. I still say the zd shock shafts are way to soft and bend too easily

I'm all honesty, they're not the best suited to the 3s range and take some dialing in tbh.

If you don't restrict the shock length, the main effect it has is rasing the ride height and c o g. So handling is really crap.

The droop on the 3s iirc is set by the shock length from factory so I don't think it's a major concern.

The big issue I found when reducing the stock length was the springs were way too long, adding to the pre load, so should be swapped out at the back as I feel they are too stiff anyway.

I've been running the stock 3s stocks again after a rebuild with new style o rings and they've been much better, until I kerbed it and trashed the fronts.

So now the zd fronts are back on and doing well. I still say the zd shock shafts are way to soft and bend too easily

I have also rebuild the stock ones, and they do OK, but they leek somewhat from the top of the body, I think it is cracked. I think in the end the best (reasonably priced) solution would be the hot racing aluminium bodies with the other stock parts, but these are hard to get in Europe.
I also think that when the shock length is reduced this much, shorter springs would be needed. I am looking into the Kraton 4S springs to put on them, as suggested in this thread somewhere.

Which springs are you using currently on them?

Last edited:
People use the team associated yellow springs in the kraton shocks. On the home page has the HUGE shock thread.

I also have the ZDs. Now waiting to get the Kraton shocks for the rear. The longer shocks seemed like it was harder on the driveshafts also. As of now cause I blew a rear stock shock I have the stock shocks in front and the shorter ZDs on the rear. Handles great now. But its not what im after. I want the jacked up truck look.
20211027_174830.jpg

I have also rebuild the stock ones, and they do OK, but they leek somewhat from the top of the body, I think it is cracked. I think in the end the best (reasonably priced) solution would be the hot racing aluminium bodies with the other stock parts, but these are hard to get in Europe.
I also think that when the shock length is reduced this much, shorter springs would be needed. I am looking into the Kraton 4S springs to put on them, as suggested in this thread somewhere.

Which springs are you using currently on them?
Hot racing does look the best option, but in UK the price is just not worth it 😒

I'm running stock on the rear. So far so good, no leaks and run really smooth. When I did run zds on the rear, in all honesty, to shorten the rear springs I used side cutters.... 🙄

Hello everyone, I wanted to say that I replaced the crappy stock ZD Racing shock pistons by HB Racing pistons (part number HBS114744).
You can find it here for example: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hb-racing-v2-shock-piston-set-hbs114744/p447419
It is cheap and also definitely an must have upgrade for these shocks.

good find.

i had my ZD racing shocks sitting in the box for almost a year after i discovered the stock pistons are almost 3/4 of a millimeter to small for the shock bore. kinda makes it completely useless unless you put in 100wt oil.

the zd racing shock bore measures 16.10mm and the stock pistons are 15.6mm....to small...makes the piston holes useless as all the oil flows around the outside of the piston rather than thru the holes.

do you have a Vernier caliper to measure the HB racing pistons diameter? i have been trying to find something in the 15.9-16mm range....so far i have a set of kyosho MP9 pistons that are 15.8mm slightly better and may work ok with slightly heavier oil.

The supplied springs are to stiff as well... at least if you plan to run them on a buggy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back