ZD Racing shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two granites and one runs 6s shocks and the other the ebay big bore. The 6s shocks definitely are tougher but the big bores for me so far have held up pretty well with 70wt oil even though they are smaller. I like them as a good value for money option.

I’m running Typhon 6s on my Granite and changing the shocks on my Big Rock to the HoBao 1/8 scale.

Let us know what you think of the Hobao in comparison to the 6s shocks once you have a couple runs with them.

I have two granites and one runs 6s shocks and the other the ebay big bore. The 6s shocks definitely are tougher but the big bores for me so far have held up pretty well with 70wt oil even though they are smaller. I like them as a good value for money option.

Let us know what you think of the Hobao in comparison to the 6s shocks once you have a couple runs with them.
Will do. Hope to get out this weekend. Gotta be careful, Maryland’s on lockdown because of the coronavirus. Gotta huge backyard though!?

Finished the HoBao install. It was a little tricky with the GPM shock tower supports. Used 6.8 pivot balls, the one on the front bottoms had an offset. I used 70wt shock oil in the front and 50wt in the back. All in all the truck performed great, still might need some minor tuning. HoBao’s are definitely stiffer than Typhon 6s shocks. No bottoming out, like my Granite (Typhon 6s).
D94F4500-7907-4436-83C0-B5397BD7F5F9.jpeg
CFC81CE2-910D-4A00-A885-B00935330B95.jpeg
66B8CA2B-01A6-4408-A6C2-016CC794B91C.jpeg

Finished the HoBao install. It was a little tricky with the GPM shock tower supports. Used 6.8 pivot balls, the one on the front bottoms had an offset. I used 70wt shock oil in the front and 50wt in the back. All in all the truck performed great, still might need some minor tuning. HoBao’s are definitely stiffer than Typhon 6s shocks. No bottoming out, like my Granite (Typhon 6s). View attachment 73271View attachment 73272View attachment 73273
If it can’t bottom out, something else is gonna break. ??‍♂️

The less vertical you mount them the less stiff they will be. I see you have them mounted all the way to the outside on that GPM mount and it's damn near perpendicular to the ground.

If it can’t bottom out, something else is gonna break. ??‍♂️
I got a little more fine tuning than I thought. Maybe I’ll get rid of the GPM tower supports and mount in the stock location. Still messing with it.

I got a little more fine tuning than I thought. Maybe I’ll get rid of the GPM tower supports and mount in the stock location. Still messing with it.
Feels better, gotta do some test runs.
9EEE13E6-1DB1-4B09-BF65-64B1488EA8EB.jpeg

Slight thread hijack, but do you think shipping from China to Aus will be affected due to the apocalypse happening?? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of the ZD shocks off Banggood, but the current climate makes me nervous.

Slight thread hijack, but do you think shipping from China to Aus will be affected due to the apocalypse happening?? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of the ZD shocks off Banggood, but the current climate makes me nervous.
I know a month ago China was shut down. No RC parts were coming out for the most part. Now factories are back open and shipping again. Idk about Aus, but it takes about two weeks to get something into the US from China.

HoBao shocks took some time to get adjusted on my Big Rock. Finally got them dialed in! They are similar to the Typhon 6s shocks, little stiffer! Definitely a good buy. Built a ramp with my daughter today and really put them to the test.
8BCA732F-B048-4265-BCC4-23D83E0CDC1A.jpeg
A0AA9C29-1006-4333-BCC7-6E4BC7E52665.jpeg
806273DB-5739-45A0-B612-4E9BD3677AE1.jpeg

Got to admit this shock swap isn't as straightforward as I hoped. Got some zd racing shocks from ebay. I knew the ride height would be too high to start off, but it seems the fronts are too soft and rears are too stiff.

No idea what oil is in the shocks so I got some 45wt to try at some point. Didn't really want to mess with swapping out springs and different oil weights.

At least I can try to rebuild the standard ones and fix the leaks.
HoBao shocks took some time to get adjusted on my Big Rock. Finally got them dialed in! They are similar to the Typhon 6s shocks, little stiffer! Definitely a good buy. Built a ramp with my daughter today and really put them to the test. View attachment 74165View attachment 74166View attachment 74167
How clean is your BRCC!!? ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_212632.jpg
    IMG_20200409_212632.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20200409_212640.jpg
    IMG_20200409_212640.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20200409_212659.jpg
    IMG_20200409_212659.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 83
Got to admit this shock swap isn't as straightforward as I hoped. Got some zd racing shocks from ebay. I knew the ride height would be too high to start off, but it seems the fronts are too soft and rears are too stiff.

No idea what oil is in the shocks so I got some 45wt to try at some point. Didn't really want to mess with swapping out springs and different oil weights.

Yeah it took me a bit to get my HoBao shocks dialed in, some of the same issues. I’m running them on a Big Rock that’s been upgraded to 4s. To start I dumped the oil that came in them. I used 70wt in the front and 50wt in the back. Used a 6mm spacer inside the rear to shorten the travel. I had them all mounted in my GPM aluminum shock tower supports?? The angels sucked as some others stated when I posted my photos, way too stiff. Got rid of the GPM’s and used stock mounts for front and rear. Everything looked and felt great! I built a ramp and really put them to the test? Fronts still weren’t right, the bottom pulled out of my RPM arms twice. I mounted the front bottoms in the hole closest to the tire, little lower stance. I also used a 20mm long screw to secure them suckers. So I know that’s a lot of stuff, but that’s what worked for me ?‍♂️ Let know if you got any questions or want some photos.

I'm waiting for it to rain so I can put the kids by the TV and lock myself in the shed ?

My car is bone stock so far, this is my first mod. Looks like you've had a far bit to get it set right.

BRCC looks good though ?

Do the stock springs fit?

I'm waiting for it to rain so I can put the kids by the TV and lock myself in the shed ?

My car is bone stock so far, this is my first mod. Looks like you've had a far bit to get it set right.

BRCC looks good though ?
I get my kids involved a little, just enough to keep my wife off my tail!? I told my two oldest girls I would buy them something to run around with me. Definitely not going to drop too much, they’re young.

Keep on posting and asking questions, this is an awesome site. Tons of good people with a lot of knowledge. This is where I get my answers most of the time! Love tearing them apart and putting them back together, even when I’m not breaking something? Adjusted the slipper on my BR last night, heading out soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back