ZTW Beast Pro 220a ESC anyone run it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbobjr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
Hey guys, a couple months ago real late at night I ordered one of these from Banggood on sale. I found out later it needs a card to program it so one of those is on its way too. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it in their Arrma 6s rigs. Looks like the are popular out side the US. It may end up in my Talion build but not sure. I'll take some pics of it next to the BLX so you can see the size difference (at work now...). If anything it is very well made, even the cover is all aluminum. Cant do a good search here, ZTW ESC is two words that are too short for the search feature and google shows a few videos but no one really talks about if it works or not.
thanks,
Jim

Pics, little smaller in size but could be the cover...

20190808_022656.jpg
20190808_022339.jpg
20190808_022354.jpg

The cables and the caps say it all...!! ???

I know over here in England they are semi popular, but we still have no way of getting them other than banggood..

I was told once before that they make a lot of oem stuff for a lot of companies...

The cables and the caps say it all...!! ???

I know over here in England they are semi popular, but we still have no way of getting them other than banggood..

I was told once before that they make a lot of oem stuff for a lot of companies...
Their larger 300amp ones look very similar to the Hobbystar. Program card looks the same too. Caps and cables are nice. Caps are a little exposed

Very curious what your thoughts are on this once you run it @Jimbobjr
From what I have seen these might output legitimately over 200amps versus all the 120-180 amp ESCs out there...

-Liberty
It will be a while until I get it in something. When I do I will post here how it works. If it is legit it will take up much less room than some other 200amp esc’s.

Their larger 300amp ones look very similar to the Hobbystar. Program card looks the same too. Caps and cables are nice. Caps are a little exposed

From what I understand ZTW is the o.g. here and makes the HobbyStar ESCs.
I know a guy that runs two of the 14s 300a ZTW boat ESCs in his Catamaran and is the fastest in AUS.

-Liberty

Very curious what your thoughts are on this once you run it @Jimbobjr
From what I have seen these might output legitimately over 200amps versus all the 120-180 amp ESCs out there...

-Liberty

Hope you don't mind me clearing up this common misconception.

Current is always drawn, not forced out. If you are running short in length, large diameter lipo to esc power wires (To keep resistance to a minimum) the Lipo is usually the limiting factor in terms of peak amperage rather than the ESC itself.

Having a higher amp-rated ESC simply means your ESC should be less stressed and run cooler.

If any ESC offers a performance increase over another it will more likely be due to it having a lower internal resistance if all other settings such as timing etc.. are equal.

Hope that makes sense. Just some important basics I learned from the quad side of RC.

Hope you don't mind me clearing up this common misconception.

Current is always drawn, not forced out. If you are running short in length, large diameter lipo to esc power wires (To keep resistance to a minimum) the Lipo is usually the limiting factor in terms of peak amperage rather than the ESC itself.

Having a higher amp-rated ESC simply means your ESC should be less stressed and run cooler.

If any ESC offers a performance increase over another it will more likely be due to it having a lower internal resistance if all other settings such as timing etc.. are equal.

Hope that makes sense. Just some important basics I learned from the quad side of RC.
This is true and applies to 98% of us. I firmly believe for bashing there is zero issues with using the BLX system. It is very capable and seems to take some serious punishment.
When someone is doing speed runs the aggressive gearing creates a larger amp draw, and the motor gets into a situation of pulling over 200 amps. The esc limitations are pretty well proven by many members on this forum. Right around the 100mph mark using the stock BLX 185 electronics we see power limitations. Keeping all else the same and swapping in a Castle MM2 or XLX esc the car instantly picks up another 5-15mph due to the amperage capabilities of the aftermarket ESC. Then comes bigger motors like TP Power to push the car further into the 120+ range.

-Liberty

This is true and applies to 98% of us. I firmly believe for bashing there is zero issues with using the BLX system. It is very capable and seems to take some serious punishment.
When someone is doing speed runs the aggressive gearing creates a larger amp draw, and the motor gets into a situation of pulling over 200 amps. The esc limitations are pretty well proven by many members on this forum. Right around the 100mph mark using the stock BLX 185 electronics we see power limitations. Keeping all else the same and swapping in a Castle MM2 or XLX esc the car instantly picks up another 5-15mph due to the amperage capabilities of the aftermarket ESC. Then comes bigger motors like TP Power to push the car further into the 120+ range.

-Liberty

If all was equal other than the esc then thats really interesting. With quad escs we can easily draw far more amps than the rated max if we have a suitable Lipo.. and are soley limited by heat build up. The amp rating is just an aprox figure obove which you will likely overheat it in prolonged use.

In this car high speed run case the Lipos must be running pretty close to constant peak amperage so that a drop in an escs internal resistance and/or shorter fatter power cables is enough to pull extra amperage through the esc.

Regardless of rated amperage which only means a sustainable amperage draw over a set time within certain temperature parameters, if the ESC manufacturers also measured and specified each escs internal resistance, it looks like the speed run guys would really benefit from that.

If all was equal other than the esc then thats really interesting. With quad escs we can easily draw far more amps than the rated max if we have a suitable Lipo.. and are soley limited by heat build up. The amp rating is just an aprox figure obove which you will likely overheat it in prolonged use.

In this car high speed run case the Lipos must be running pretty close to constant peak amperage so that a drop in an escs internal resistance and/or shorter fatter power cables is enough to pull extra amperage through the esc.

Regardless of rated amperage which only means a sustainable amperage draw over a set time within certain temperature parameters, if the ESC manufacturers also measured and specified each escs internal resistance, it looks like the speed run guys would really benefit from that.
Amperage values are certainly imaginary in car ESCs. I have seen some data in Castle Data logs that indicates their Amperage numbers are completely bogus. I don't believe people are seeing the sort of power they are lead to believe by those logs.

Example from an 8s setup I had. 8615 watts / 746 = 11.5 hp (if you believe the data)

For the LiPos output it certainly depends on the brand/model used. The Turnigy Graphene's have been tested (with good test equip.) up around the 300 amps range for short durations.

The speed run community has repeatedly found that Hobby wing and their RTR versions like the BLX 185 hit amperage cut off (programmed protection).
Castle Mamba series ESCs do this also, but at a higher amperage number than HW does.

If we have amperage unlocked ESCs then everyone would complain about ESC failures all the time, and the manufacturers would be swamped with warranty work.

-Liberty

Amperage values are certainly imaginary in car ESCs. I have seen some data in Castle Data logs that indicates their Amperage numbers are completely bogus. I don't believe people are seeing the sort of power they are lead to believe by those logs.

Example from an 8s setup I had. 8615 watts / 746 = 11.5 hp (if you believe the data)

View attachment 45325

For the LiPos output it certainly depends on the brand/model used. The Turnigy Graphene's have been tested (with good test equip.) up around the 300 amps range for short durations.

The speed run community has repeatedly found that Hobby wing and their RTR versions like the BLX 185 hit amperage cut off (programmed protection).
Castle Mamba series ESCs do this also, but at a higher amperage number than HW does.

If we have amperage unlocked ESCs then everyone would complain about ESC failures all the time, and the manufacturers would be swamped with warranty work.

-Liberty
How do you get that graph output from your Castle esc?

View attachment 45325

-Liberty

I wasnt aware of the blx185 having amperage cut off protection. Do you perhaps mean overtemp cut off protection?

I wasnt aware of the blx185 having amperage cut off protection. Do you perhaps mean overtemp cut off protection?
No it is the same phenomenon experienced with all of the Hobby Wing ESCs. (this is why no runs HW for speeds over 100mph)

I can run the car on a cold winter day, just turned on, run up to 96mph, and it hits this amperage limiting. (much before it has time to sense any temperature limits). Often when I get the car back to me the ESC is around 120F. (I realize it has time to cool down some) Even after repeated passes the ESC is rarely over 140F on a cool day.

Same use and temps with a castle ESC would net significantly higher speed with the exact same setup. Members @GMballistic and @cootertwo both could vouge for this experience.

How do you get that graph output from your Castle esc?

Not all of Castle's ESCs have this. I have personally used it with the Mamaba Monster X and 1/5 XL-X. I know the MM2 does not have internal data logging.

They have a special software for your PC and a Castle USB connector that connects to the ESC.
http://home.castlecreations.com/download-castle-link

No it is the same phenomenon experienced with all of the Hobby Wing ESCs. (this is why no runs HW for speeds over 100mph)

I can run the car on a cold winter day, just turned on run up to 96mph and it hits this amperage limiting. (much before it has time to sense any temperature limits. Often when I get the car back to me the ESC is around 120F. (I realize it has time to cool down some) Even after repeated passes the ESC is rarely over 140F on a cool day.

Not all of Castle's ESCs have this. I have personally used it with the Mamaba Monster X and 1/5 XL-X. I know the MM2 does not have internal data logging.

They have a special software for your PC and a Castle USB connector that connects to the ESC.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I suppose in having a punch setting that proves it has an amp limiter. If the speed run community were able to find a way to disable that... they could probably get a lot more performance out of it. It would come with a large risk and invalidate the warranty... but just a thought.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I suppose in having a punch setting that proves it has an amp limiter. If the speed run community were able to find a way to disable that... they could probably get a lot more performance out of it. It would come with a large risk and invalidate the warranty... but just a thought.
I knew a guy who indicated he had hacked the programming of the HobbyWing max5 (this ESC has claimed burst current limits around 1200 amps)
He and a friend had written some software allowing him to change the programming via something like a .txt file load into the ESC which held the calibration settings. Sadly he lost his fight with cancer last year and took those secrets to the grave, but it sounds like it was possible. He told me the security/lock out features of the hobby wing ESCs was not very sophisticated, where they had attempted with Castle ESCs and couldn't figure it out.

-Liberty

I can run the car on a cold winter day, just turned on, run up to 96mph, and it hits this amperage limiting. (much before it has time to sense any temperature limits). Often when I get the car back to me the ESC is around 120F. (I realize it has time to cool down some) Even after repeated passes the ESC is rarely over 140F on a cool day.

Same use and temps with a castle ESC would net significantly higher speed with the exact same setup. Members @GMballistic and @cootertwo both could vouge for this experience.

Oh that explains it I have a MM2. And I have a Castle Link, or at least what is left of one anyway, my ex girlfriends dog tried to eat it. It still works lol.
B9vkIDB.jpg

Last edited:
Oh that explains it I have a MM2. And I have a Castle Link, or at least what is left of one anyway, my ex girlfriends dog tried to eat it. It still works lol.

MM2 is a great ESC, much better than the MMX in my opinion. Only one I like more than the MM2 is the XL-X.
Is that why she's the ex now?
"sorry babe this just isn't going to work, your dog got into my RC stuff"

MM2 is a great ESC, much better than the MMX in my opinion. Only one I like more than the MM2 is the XL-X.
Is that why she's the ex now?
"sorry babe this just isn't going to work, your dog got into my RC stuff"
No that chick was a friggin basketcase.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back