Granite Budget shock upgrade (could this be the king under $25)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Reaction score
Hi all!

I would love to hear some feedback on my plan to make my arrma vorteks more capable off road.
I already have hex spacers and larger tires meaning its already plenty wide to add some height :)

I am planning to get granite towers and Kraton 4s v2 shocks, but I'm not sure if I need a full set, fronts all round, rears all round, or if it will even work at all. Has anybody tried or heard of this upgrade to 4s shocks?
The 4s shocks shouldn't be a problem with stiffness, as I have a good amount of weight added that a 4s car already has (like metal diffs).

Thanks!

Shocks will be too long, I think the 4s fronts will work on the rear iirc but the 4s rears are of no use.

+1
You can't really go cheap when it comes to upgrade shocks. Sometimes going backwards with Upgrade brand shocks and springs.
But Many have used the Arrma 6s shocks of varying sizes with great results. Spring and oil tuning will be needed 99% of the time. Finding a basic plug and play upgrade shock really does not exist IMHO. PL makes them I think for your Vorteks or other 4x4 rigs. . Don't quote me. 100% ... But are Very costly, and not all that. I would pass on those.

Imho it will be easier and maybe cheaper to just buy a vehicle that fits your needs than to try and turn a Vorteks into something that you want.
It definitely is overall! I've put too much into it to abandon it now tho.. it'll just have to be an ultimate 3s basher lol

+1
You can't really go cheap when it comes to upgrade shocks. Sometimes going backwards with Upgrade brand shocks and springs.
But Many have used the Arrma 6s shocks of varying sizes with great results. Spring and oil tuning will be needed 99% of the time. Finding a basic plug and play upgrade shock really does not exist IMHO. PL makes them I think for your Vorteks or other 4x4 rigs. . Don't quote me. 100% ... But are Very costly, and not all that. I would pass on those.

Proline kind of does but not really, the other 3s shocks are longer. The Vorteks shocks are close to the Proline shocks for the Slash.
It definitely is overall! I've put too much into it to abandon it now tho.. it'll just have to be an ultimate 3s basher lol
The Vorteks was never designed to drive over rough terrain, it was designed for going fast over smooth terrain, like football or soccer fields. The Big Rock Crew Cab would probably work better for what you want to do.

Not sure which way you will go but in 2020 when I was at this point with my Granite/Big Rock BLX someone shared this post with me. I ended up with the Typhon on both rights using the Typhon F/R. Old note so links are old as well:

---
Typhon 6S Shocks f/r

Another option
Notorious 6s front shocks:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-NOTO...-/393039096846?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Mojave 6s front shocks:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ARRMA-...-/193709545818?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
Like Quote Reply

The Kraton front shocks for the rear of the Big Rock and the Mojave front shocks for the front are a good option. The Typhon shock springs are really light compared to the Big Rock. I think the stiffer Kraton and Mojave shock springs are a better choice, especially if you're upgrading shocks for jumps. There's one downside, the Mojave front shocks are longer (108mm). The Typhon fronts (104mm) are closer to the Big Rock fronts (101mm).

--
Another option
Front: Typhon
Rear: Outcast

Back