Kraton Is it mandatory to do ESC calibration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoreFyah

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

Just received the new Kraton 8S EXB and am doing some research before I start using it. Is it necessary to do the ESC calibration for throttle? Is the vehicle not already set to full throttle and reverse? The receiver also has adjustments to increase or reduce the throttle percentages. What's the advantage/disadvantage of configuring the those same settings but at the ESC level? I'm new to these models coming over from the Traxxas XRT and love how Arrma is so customizable. Thank you in advance!

Greetings,

Just received the new Kraton 8S EXB and am doing some research before I start using it. Is it necessary to do the ESC calibration for throttle? Is the vehicle not already set to full throttle and reverse? The receiver also has adjustments to increase or reduce the throttle percentages. What's the advantage/disadvantage of configuring the those same settings but at the ESC level? I'm new to these models coming over from the Traxxas XRT and love how Arrma is so customizable. Thank you in advance!

I wouldn’t say it’s necessary to do throttle calibration on ESC. Mostly likely it’ll work from the factory but it’s an easy enough procedure i do it with all my cars when I first get them or if I swap out esc.

So on the esc you can adjust things like braking power and punch setting. I would leave those
At stock level and then drive the car a bit and see if you want to make any adjustments based on how car is driving.

The only thing I’d recommend is lowering the timing to lowest setting. This will reduce how hot electronics get.

I wouldn’t say it’s necessary to do throttle calibration on ESC. Mostly likely it’ll work from the factory but it’s an easy enough procedure i do it with all my cars when I first get them or if I swap out esc.

So on the esc you can adjust things like braking power and punch setting. I would leave those
At stock level and then drive the car a bit and see if you want to make any adjustments based on how car is driving.

The only thing I’d recommend is lowering the timing to lowest setting. This will reduce how hot electronics get.
Thank you for this advice QLynxer, really appreciated! So you would set the motor timing to 0 according to the manual?

Last edited:

+1
Yeah drop the timing all the way down. Your motor will thank you. Advanced timing does little, except generate more heat and lose some torque at some point. Advanced timing technically increases RPM's a bit, at the sacrifice of higher temps.
With a dedicated Speed running chassis platform, approaching 140+ MPH , advancing the timing incrementally at a time, might help you eek out another 1-2 mph PB. For bashing you don't want or need advanced timing. Not sure why Some Spektrum ESC's and others, are so advanced out the box by default. Makes no sense. A Great way to brick your motor if anything.
Be very conservative with Timing if you do play around with it. I doubt you will see any noticeable performance gain. Just higher Motor temps.

I always do an ESC calibration, when new. A new ESC or RTR. Also important to Adjust the Steering Endpoints. The factory rarely gets these right. Leave nothing to chance. Learn how to do it. Absolutely do these 2 things before running. A must. Per the manuals. Just Normal RC pre-run procedures.

Last edited:
+1
Yeah drop the timing all the way down. Your motor will thank you. Advanced timing does little, except generate more heat and lose some torque at some point. Advanced timing technically increases RPM's a bit, at the sacrifice of higher temps.
With a dedicated Speed running chassis platform, approaching 140+ MPH , advancing the timing incrementally at a time, might help you eek out another 1-2 mph PB. For bashing you don't want or need advanced timing. Not sure why Some Spektrum ESC's and others, are so advanced out the box by default. Makes no sense. A Great way to brick your motor if anything.
Be very conservative with Timing if you do play around with it. I doubt you will see any noticeable performance gain. Just higher Motor temps.

I always do an ESC calibration, when new. A new ESC or RTR. Also important to Adjust the Steering Endpoints. The factory rarely gets these right. Leave nothing to chance. Learn how to do it. Absolutely do these 2 things before running. A must. Per the manuals. Just Normal RC pre-run procedures.
Great info here, thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back