Talion Talion 4SBackyard Track Racer Build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLspeeddragon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion EXB
Been a month in the works of purchasing all the necessary conversion parts.
But I have finally got it started.
Just finished the front assembly, shocks, and F/C/R diffs, the other day. Had to purchase a new servo saver, going with HR. Parts should be in today or tomorrow.
IMG_20240226_150637299.jpg
IMG_20240225_145113275.jpg

Just got the HR servo-saver in today.. Too wiped out from work today so I will be continuing with it tomorrow..
I'll post pics and try to do a parts list of what's needed for the conversion from the different Arrma 6s vehicles when I have time.

Build log update:
Finished assembling the rear assembly and installing it onto the Talion Chassis..
Putting in an order for replacement sway bar brackets and a set of the 2.5mm screws. Didn't realize mine were in bad shape, one is cracked.
Other then that, I'm enjoying the progress and the build.
1st pic is the Kraton in progress of slow dismemberment, Rest are the new shineys' :).
Also on a side note, but nothing major.
The Kraton Suspension arm set I ordered from JRC, the droop screws have shims on them.. It's supposed to have 3 on each screw.. 3 of the 4 had 5 shims on mine, 4th one only had two.. I found this out as I was replacing the stock ones with upgraded titanium's that you can adjust from the top side. I use them on my RC8B3.2E buggy and makes the adjustment less of a hassle of fighting the triangular bump stop on the underside (2nd picture).
IMG_20240302_152154519_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240302_152415683_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240302_152430703.jpg
IMG_20240302_152403141_HDR.jpg

HR sway bar mount bracket with screws and HR Capped 17mm hex wheel nuts ordered.. Should be here by Monday :).
Build will continue when I receive my 1 off custom part that. It's gonna be a mod like you have never seen and most likely never thought of.. Sorry no clues:p

Last edited:
Haven't posted here in a few days.. Waiting on parts and time management with RL, Work and wrenching.. But here is the latest update..
Purchased this today for it.. Still haven't decided on a name for it after it's all done and said..
At this rate of spending $$, I could have probably bought a new Talion straight from Arrma if they were still in stock..
Just wait and see when I do the reveal.. I think it's going to blow your mind.. It has a custom made piece that I don't think has ever been done!

ScreenShot_20240311155513.png

So while I was tinkering with this custom build the other day, I realized something was odd with the front shocks..
I had decided to purchase a new set of the stock talion 60mm springs for a fresh look to it. Upon install, I noticed that the springs were literally floating free on the shocks..
I removed them and did a measurement shock was 117mm eye to eye and collar to spring shelf.... 70mm
Turns out over the years of bashing with my friends back out west, trading parts between us, I must have acquired a set of Typhon front shocks.. They apparently ended up on the front of my Talion... Wondering if the rears might also be Typhon LOL!.. I'll check tomorrow..
Typhon front shocks are 117mm (springs 70mm)
Oddly enough though, they fit perfectly.. Shock tower clearance good, the suspension arms rest on the droops without any added pressure, etc..
So with that, I am happy to know that my previous limited sources for 60mm springs is now a wider range at 70mm (Tekno Buggy, Truggy).
I just purchased a set of the 7lbs and 8lbs Typhon front springs. I managed to locate them on Ebay at Arrma store cost, free shipping. Score :)
Pic for references.. I will update with the new springs when they come in a few days from now.

Secondly when I was installing the F/R sway bars, they barely reach the connectors. They feel as if they have some minor bind in them and barely any length for adjustment (unlike my RC8B3.2e). So with that I went shopping as well.. Since the Typhon shocks seems to work well.. why not try their wide sway bars???
So I just purchased the wide 2.5 and 2.9 sway bars. Also found on Ebay free ship again. Win!
Feels good to be able to have some tuning options now :).

ScreenShot_20240317202554.png

It's been a week since my last post because I have been wanting to keep a very custom part of the build secret.
However I have had a change of heart and want to share it with all of you since I am near the end completion of this complete Talion Build from the chassis up.
Over the past week progress..
Sanded the Red anodize off the front shock tower, Front / Rear center brace, motor mount bracket.
It was a simple process using my Dremel and palm sander: 240-800 grit sand paper and dremel sanding drums (200-400 grit).
Took about an hour from start to finish on each piece. I did not get the interiors of the pieces, gives it a cool look so I left it.
Will be polishing and clear coating to prevent oxidation.

I will talk about the obvious rear shock tower setup at the end of this post :)

IMG_20240320_164515489_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240320_164549992_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240320_164601959_HDR.jpg

Next I had to groove the Rear Center brace to accept the new setup for the rear driveshaft.
Yes that's a custom rear shock tower, Keep reading and I will get to that :)

IMG_20240314_142310220.jpg

Today I installed the new HW G2 Max 8 4278 2250Kv Combo.
For the wiring setup, I did a zip-tie wire harness setup. (learned it from watching Roadkill.. ziptie moments.. Google it :) ).
Fan, ESC, and Servo wires are ran under the ESC tray, and through a small cable clip centered under the front driveshaft.
I purchased this years ago and still have many of them left.. Ugh couldn't find them less than 30 per pack..
I've used this trick before many times on my previous rigs, It secures them from any chance of damage from the driveshafts and or being caught by stuff.
Small Cable Clip via Amazon.
IMG_20240323_181117789.jpg
IMG_20240323_180744375.jpg
clip001.jpg

Next and best part was a challenge. The custom 1 off rear shock tower..
First of all before any of you ask..
I am not allowed to release the person's / company that helped me getting the Buggy rear shock tower made. They have asked that I keep there names confidential.
Arrma's downfall with their mount setup is that it's only a 2 point connection (rear screws and rear brace) going through the tower, with upward force creates a fulcrum that in result, breaks the mount under impact force. This needed to be a 3 point connection and NOT go through the tower to create a break point.
So I decided to use my RC8B3.2e rear buggy wing setup and incorporate it into this rig.
It took me a few weeks of 3d designing and prototype 3d printing process..
I changed it to a 3 hole for shocks, 4 hole camber instead of stock 3, and some slight changes in shape.
The persons/company were happy to assist me with cutting / shipping this to me since they also were in process of something similar, but lacked the most important part of the design, the shock tower to diff casing parameters. How much.. Sorry also not divulging that information..
The rear tower is 7075 T651 5mm thick aluminum plate. I wanted to it be as strong as possible :)
I replicated the front brace setup to the rear (including the servo posts). This gives the rear brace a 3 point connection for maximum impact absorption.

I hope you all enjoy the pics and cant wait to read your replies on this..
IMG_20240307_085310274.jpg
IMG_20240320_164632276_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240323_181321314.jpg

I purchased 3 different weight wide sway bars for the rear as well.. (they will not fit on the front, interferes with steering arms). I had to sand the groove out some since the stock diff casing does not fit the 3mm bar without being able to move freely as it should.
IMG_20240323_181406084.jpg

IMG_20240323_181229746.jpg

IMG_20240323_181340213.jpg

Wow, nice build! Nice attention to detail, and the setup you came up with at the rear is freaking cool! Nice job, man!
The rear tower came out nice. He designed it. I machined it. That is a nice setup with the wing mount

The rear tower came out nice. He designed it. I machined it. That is a nice setup with the wing mount
Fantastic work, man! Now that you’re no longer anonymous I’ll bet your inbox will be filling up with requests!

Fantastic work, man! Now that you’re no longer anonymous I’ll bet your inbox will be filling up with requests!
Thank you. It's Jim's build. I didn't want any credit. I did in fact CNC machine his tower to his specs.

Great work. Your modifications should add lots of strength in a critical area. With that ESC & Motor combo you will be able to run 6s if you feel the need for speed.

I do see a future upgrade coming with your pin mounts for the rear arms... the stock plastic & metal plate bend way too easy in a tumble.

Back