Ugh... Just tapped the pinion into place a bit too hard and pushed the back of the motor off the can by .125" or so. How screwed am I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relimar

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Pinion wouldn't slip on, but was going on, so "coaxed it along" and when mounted, noticed the connector side backplate was off the can. Loosened the screws, tapped it back and re-tightened. Seems to rotate by hand without friction.

1000003768.jpg

One motor makes the other turn, drill speed and it still moves fine. Maybe it's good? Getting wired in to check for sure

So the shaft basically slipped through the motor? I’ve just banged it back and had no problems.
As far as I can tell I just used the rotor/shaft as a battering ram against the back plate. Slightly concerned that there is a circuit board behind it, but it didn't move that much

As far as I can tell I just used the rotor/shaft as a battering ram against the back plate. Slightly concerned that there is a circuit board behind it, but it didn't move that much
The shaft can shift if you bang it. Put the back plate back on and bang it until it fits again. Just don’t bang it so hard it pops the front plate. That’s what I did. Worked fine after.

Did the shaft slide inside the rotor? I had this happen on my old blx 2050kv motor. I had some metal shavings that resulted from it i believe. What starts happening is the rotor starts to spin on the rotor and at one point ur shaft is completely worn the rotor just spins without the shaft doing anything

The shaft can shift if you bang it. Put the back plate back on and bang it until it fits fine again. That’s what I did. Worked fine.
Did that but never ran the motor again. The front beari g losely fits in now and any bearing just falls off.

Did the shaft slide inside the rotor? I had this happen on my old blx 2050kv motor. I had some metal shavings that resulted from it i believe. What starts happening is the rotor starts to spin on the rotor and at one point ur shaft is completely worn the rotor just spins without the shaft doing anything

Did that but never ran the motor again. The front beari g losely fits in now and any bearing just falls off.
Appears to still have the same amount of play in/out as the couple of old spektrums I have here. I didn't disassemble it, just loosened, tapped back in and cried a little lol.
Guess we'll see!

I did something similar to a tp motor but maybe by half a mm. Motor didn't care.

It’s probably fine. If anything is damaged I’d suspect it might be the hall sensor and not the rotor or the sleeve. See how it runs in sensored mode.

Happy to report that 2 minutes of "gentle" tapping with a dead blow hammer to get the pinion onto the motor shaft, and knocking the back off the motor can an 1/8th inch, has not hurt the motor. Just plugged it into another esc, including the sensor wire, and it works just fine. Remains to be seen what it does with the rest of a vehicle load on it, but looking good 🤞

Back