Mojave Best way to set pinion gear mesh? Mojave 4x4 4s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4Mojave4S

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave 4s
Just bought Mojave 4x4 4S and going through it before first run, pinion gear mesh seemed a bit too loose ime. Set it couple times by eye, feeling the backlash, then tried the old sheet of paper trick, but all seem too tight now. It's got a tick of free movement (backlash) but when I put it all back together and roll it across the floor, sounds tiny bit tight.

What's the best way to get this set proper the first time?

Check it at four places minimum? Don’t forget to apply threadlock to the two screws once you find the sweet spot.

Thanks, so one paper thickness (about 0.004" thick)? Motor mount screws were threadlocked already, remove them and use some blue threadlock?

There are a lot of good ways to set your gear mesh but when you're done you should spin your spur gear and look for tight spots. Nothing is perfect.

I would rather error on a very small backlash even if there is a spot were you get none. The gears will wear in. If the mesh is too loose they can chip or wear uneven. The goal is to get the most inter gear connection without binding. I could be completely wrong but that is how I approach it.

Thanks, so one paper thickness (about 0.004" thick)? Motor mount screws were threadlocked already, remove them and use some blue threadlock?
The average loose leaf paper is approx 0.004”, yes, so that should do the trick. Honestly, I never used this method.

Messed around with it more after dinner and gear mesh is good! Thanks for all the replies!

Then I found this good bit of info with a spare gear cover cut up so as to be able to see the mesh better, might buy a spare cover for future use.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-to-easily-set-gear-mesh-on-the-3s-and-4s-models.43201/

I'm coming from XMaxx and gotta learn this new to me platform, would be nice if Arrma included an exploded view that was multi-page larger format as that would really help to see what screws need to come out to do maintenance and repairs.

Paper trick for gear mesh setting worked great, sounded about right backlash too. Took it out for an in between heavy rains lake bash the other day and it's a beast, love it, handles well and jumps great!

Factory motor cooling fan didn't even last five minutes, had to cut the day short. Bought replacement stock fan at LHS and ordered some Rocket aluminum 30mm fans from Surpass Hobby since the local store only had Arrma replacement and Castle fans.

Front springs sagged badly as did Earl Mooreheads after only 15 minutes running and jumping. Fortunately I bought the gold heavy duty springs he mentioned in his video, need to swap out and set ride height again while replaceing motor cooling fan. I had no problems with sand/dirt and the body/cage holes, just pull out body pins, grab body by roof/rollcage through the side windows and jiggly slightly while lifting up. :)

Then XMaxx blew out the gears again (machined/hardened spur and Arrma D-hole pinion) after 2 minutes lol. Going to remove the motor location pins and adjust the mesh by paper trick, it's way too loose using the factory location pins imo.

Back