Big Rock Big rock pinion and spur gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noshowmike

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
I'm trying to play with the gearing in my big rock 3blx v3. I already went up to 17t pinion everything else stock. Any suggestions on how far I can play with gears on stock setup. Or if gearing up more what upgrades would be needed and can the stock motor and ESC handle more

You can send the pinion to the moon and max it out, it's like a 27t max or something. BUT that wouldn't give you very good results. Your acceleration would suck, you'd have major heat problems, and you'd probably hit low voltage super quickly. Not to mention the stuttering.

You're about at the max I'd consider with the stock system and at 3s. Any faster and you'll either want to consider going up in voltage and/or getting a larger power system (both of which comes with a set of big drawbacks).

Faster still and you might have been better off getting a 6s truck. The best balance on the 3s trucks is running a 3670 motor on a 120a speed controller on 3s. Just my opinion.

I'm trying to play with the gearing in my big rock 3blx v3. I already went up to 17t pinion everything else stock. Any suggestions on how far I can play with gears on stock setup. Or if gearing up more what upgrades would be needed and can the stock motor and ESC handle more
Hello

Hector hit it right. You are at about the maximum before you get into heat issues and thermal cut-off when it gets hot. What I did for my Big Rock 3S

- ESC: Firma 130A
- Motor: HobbyStar 3670 3050kv
- Pinion: 15T

The goal was to keep close to stock but at the same speed or a little bit more speed. Heat and ESC can handle where I'm not running at the ceiling on my electronics. I have not tried a 17T pinion. I have been happy with 15, but I have room to try it since all my temp readings are below 150-160F on this setup.

You can send the pinion to the moon and max it out, it's like a 27t max or something. BUT that wouldn't give you very good results. Your acceleration would suck, you'd have major heat problems, and you'd probably hit low voltage super quickly. Not to mention the stuttering.

You're about at the max I'd consider with the stock system and at 3s. Any faster and you'll either want to consider going up in voltage and/or getting a larger power system (both of which comes with a set of big drawbacks).

Faster still and you might have been better off getting a 6s truck. The best balance on the 3s trucks is running a 3670 motor on a 120a speed controller on 3s. Just my opinion.
thats what i was think. she def gets hotter with the bigger gear and i haven't even run it when its been warm. today its supposed to be upper 60s so ill do some runs check temps. appreciate your input

Back