Big Rock Big rock spur gear question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hampton15

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Hello i have bought many plastic spur gears cause they keep stripping and im wondering if i should buy a metal one or just drive it differently, is there a way i can drive my car so the spur gear doesn't shred,
Thanks for any help

- Are you running 3s power?
If so, then your mesh and/or Motor mount plate is all jacked up from hits/ crashes or Hard big air landings, causing gear misalignment . A common 4x4 line issue. Even a metal gear will get ruined in this scenario.

-Or did you upgrade to 4s or 6s electrics?
If using way more power than the stock 3s , Plastic spur gears will simply shred all day long.

The 4x4 line was never originally meant for more than 3s power. Even the 4s 4x4x line have durability issues running 4s packs. Arrma/HH keeps pushing the 4x4 line way past its design limits. Nice way for HH to sell you more and more parts. (n)
Many do upgrade their electrics, just that they have to replace parts more frequently. You be the judge and decide how to fly.

- Are you running 3s power?
If so, then your mesh and/or Motor mount plate is all jacked up form hits, causing gear misalignment . A common issue. Even a metal gear will get ruined in this scenario.

-Or did you upgrade to 4s or 6s electrics?
If using way more power than the stock 3s , Plastic spur gears will simply shred all day long.

The 4x4 line was never originally meant for more than 3s power. Even the 4s 4x4x line have durability issues running 4s packs. Arrma/HH keeps pushing the 4x4 line way past its limits. Many do upgrade their electrics, just that they have to replace parts more frequently. You be the judge and decide how to fly.
Nope all 3s just shredding spur
Whats the best gear mesh then, the motor mount plate is dead straight just my mesh i guess

You need to watch some videos in regards. There are many.
I like my mesh on the tighter side, with the very slightest amount/tick of play heard. With any RC platform brand or model.
Setting mesh takes some patience to get it right. There is the "paper method", but is just a rough way to get it close. Just a crutch IMHO. Yet works for many new guys starting out.
By eye, feel and listening for that "tick of play" ( backlash) will come with practice. Becomes muscle memory.
If the 2 motor mount screws loosen up,, mesh will get your gears jacked up. Every time. Even out the box, the factory mesh is all jacked up many times. Always use Blue Threadlocker on the 2 screws as well as the Pinion's Grub screw. Let it cure for 24 hours before running it. If you haven't already.
Be absolutely sure your Motor mount plate is perfectly flat and not tweaked. Hard to tell unless you remove it completely to examine. They are hard to straighten perfectly. And this is usually the Main cause of shredded spurs and pinions. Also dirt ingress into the Power Module contributes to shredded gears. The PM needs to be cleaned out very often. Removing it to do this. Neglect this and you have a fail more often than not.
Going with Steel spurs are not truly the answer or remedy most of the time. And 4x4 steel spurs are way more costly than plastic ones.
A steel spur is not a substitute/fix/remedy for a misaligned Spur and Pinion.
If the mesh is always correct and the PM is kept cleaned out often enough, a plastic spur can and will last quite a while. Of course your mileage will vary. If you are eating spurs often, there is a problem to adress, and it is not simply the plastic spur gears fault.

Edited.

Last edited:
Even the 4s 4x4x line have durability issues running 4s packs. Arrma/HH keeps pushing the 4x4 line way past its design limits. Nice way for HH to sell you more and more parts.
Well spoken.

Hello i have bought many plastic spur gears cause they keep stripping and im wondering if i should buy a metal one or just drive it differently, is there a way i can drive my car so the spur gear doesn't shred,
Thanks for any help
Seems like you need to change your driving style..I've never stripped my spur gear in my BRcc.🤷 go easy .show your rig some love bro and your rig will share it back.try checking your gear mesh.mine was too tight out of the box. Going full metal spur by it self won't help you , Energy will travel to your next weak link and you'll be replacing diffs instead..make sure your slipper clutch is actually working..look at your slipper pads .are they worn out? Are they glazed up? Is your slipper locked up? I'm not much of a jumper but I believe that the slipper clutch is supposed to slip just enough so you don't strip your gears..that and being respectful and mindful of what this rig can handle.don't try to exceed it's limits..👍good luck and enjoy

Seal the power module!
patrick star seal GIF

Seriously, do it 😆

If you're going through spurs like crazy be sure to check the pinion side motor bearing as well.. bad bearing can wreak havoc in there.. I would also suggest a sealed module...

Seal the power module!
patrick star seal GIF

Seriously, do it 😆

That's a big help but, knowing it's limitations and driving properly helps even more. Like not landing full throttle. Knowing how to set up your slipper clutch. If you've got it cranked down, don't punch it on dry pavement. Things like that.

I have three 3S vehicles and have yet to strip a spur gear. One is running a 4S system geared up on 3S. And no, I don't baby them. Lol. I did replace the first spur because of dirt before I knew about sealing them up. The rest I credit to using these. (and the above advice)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3251918683...fpEsXGpMbkzuasdofHcZ40ejuDMjR5kxoCl8sQAvD_BwE

The motor only has to flex just a bit and land wrong. With stock motors you want the clocked version. After market motors the wires are straight up.
If you're going through spurs like crazy be sure to check the pinion side motor bearing as well.. bad bearing can wreak havoc in there.. I would also suggest a sealed module...

That's another good point. Worth looking into. But, it must have to be really bad. The Pawnshop Big Rock had a bad bearing on the front of the motor. I ran a battery pack through it to test it out. The slipper was slipping and several wheel bearings were bad too. It's all sorted now but, it's still running the spur that came with it. Even after the abuse someone else put it through.

Other things can be binding that put stress on the spur too. Make sure all the wheel bearings are rolling smoothly. No drivetrain issues. Rock stuck somewhere. It happens.

Last edited:
@Hampton15 I like all that was posted. The power module bearing, from my experience, gets dirt fast and binds. I put off the power module to change or clean the bearing between the rear diff and the motor often. Might not be your issue but if it is binding, it will stress the spur.

You may also want to look into supporting the motor with a 3d printed motor support. The motor is cantilevered out and can flex and bend the motor plate if not supported on the end. Then that can lead to a misaligned mesh and a shredded spur gear. There are many options on ebay and etsy for a motor support.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back