Filament to hold humans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Story time:

An engineer at work had asked me if I can design and fabricate a better hold for his Rummikub board as his cracked.

So I designed him a part. Introduced it to him. He approved. He asked how much it’d cost and I told him $25 a piece (he needed four). He just looked at me like I was crazy.

I explained, “I designed it and have to print it. My time to design the part… electricity to run the machine for 2.5 hours a piece plus a roll of filament…”

“Ya… but come on! It’s just for a game! $100? Besides, I should charge YOU for approving the design!”

“Tell you what. I’ll give you the file and go get it printed at our Research & Development department.”

“Ya… uh… they don’t like me there…”

“Weird. You’re such a likeable guy…”

Moral of the story: when you’re good at something, never do it for free.
I totally hear ya ..when I was younger and worked at the body shop I'd buff cars and trucks for side money.i was only charging 100 for a 3 step procedure.buff .then glaze then swirl remover .then I'd wash and wax it .it would take me pretty much all day ..after my cost of all the products I needed to use I'd be lucky if I made 50 dollars out of that 100..some people would look at me like I had 5 heads when I said I charge 100 they thought it was to much..I'm like wtf I'm giving you my services all day busting my balls making there cars look better than when they were new and some people are just cheap ass bastards.i swear..I say go down the street and see how much they charge...some did and came back and asked when could I do it lol.the guys down the road charged the right amount which was 300.for a car with less steps lol. I sold my self short just to make a dollar ..it's been 10 years now since I ran a buffer over anyone's car other than my own or my wife's ..fk that no more being nice.people allways trying to take advantage of you..if your good at what you do then charge well..😁👍

I totally hear ya ..when I was younger and worked at the body shop I'd buff cars and trucks for side money.i was only charging 100 for a 3 step procedure.buff .then glaze then swirl remover .then I'd wash and wax it .it would take me pretty much all day ..after my cost of all the products I needed to use I'd be lucky if I made 50 dollars out of that 100..some people would look at me like I had 5 heads when I said I charge 100 they thought it was to much..I'm like wtf I'm giving you my services all day busting my balls making there cars look better than when they were new and some people are just cheap ass bastards.i swear..I say go down the street and see how much they charge...some did and came back and asked when could I do it lol.the guys down the road charged the right amount which was 300.for a car with less steps lol. I sold my self short just to make a dollar ..it's been 10 years now since I ran a buffer over anyone's car other than my own or my wife's ..fk that no more being nice.people allways trying to take advantage of you..if your good at what you do then charge well..😁👍

Been there. Done that. Bought the t-shirt.

When I was a lad, 25 or so, I worked at my old man’s machine shop. I thought I was hot poop. Always quick with the comebacks as I considered myself good as a machinist. I know… I know…. “How good a machinist could you have been at 25 years old??” you ask? Well… my workmanship did the talking for me. Anyhow.

So one Saturday morning, this older Italian man comes into the shop. Fking pinky-ring-wearing, Old-Spice-smelling POS. He walks up to me and says that he needs a sewer cover. 20x20.. with equally-spaced 3/8 diameter drain holes. Simple enough. The says he needs in right away and will wait for it. Fine.

I cut him a nice piece. Square it up on the shear. Mark up the holes with a square and vernier. Drill the plate. Lightly countersink the holes… both sides. Bla bla bla. Boring mickey-mouse job.

I give him the part and tell him he owns me $100. He just LAUGHS at me. He pulls out this wad of cash (must have been $5k) and gives me $10, and tells me in Italian, “here you go kid. Go buy yourself an ice cream…”

Motherf$@*+%.

I take the $10 bill and throw it at him. I take the plate and throw it in the middle of the street and I told him, “You piece of poop. You want the plate? Go fetch it in the street like the dog you are!”

“DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???” He yells at me. This is a typical thing Italians say… Italians who are mobbed up. But those who are mobbed up, do NOT advertise it. A lion doesn’t have to tell anyone that he’s a lion.

“Yep. You’re a dog. Get the fk outta my shop!”

The guy went to the street to get the plate. Like a dog.

Lesson learned? ALWAYS quote a price before starting a job. Sorry… didn’t mean to take over your post @kspitters.

Been there. Done that. Bought the t-shirt.

When I was a lad, 25 or so, I worked at my old man’s machine shop. I thought I was hot poop. Always quick with the comebacks as I considered myself good as a machinist. I know… I know…. “How good a machinist could you have been at 25 years old??” you ask? Well… my workmanship did the talking for me. Anyhow.

So one Saturday morning, this older Italian man comes into the shop. Fking pinky-ring-wearing, Old-Spice-smelling POS. He walks up to me and says that he needs a sewer cover. 20x20.. with equally-spaced 3/8 diameter drain holes. Simple enough. The says he needs in right away and will wait for it. Fine.

I cut him a nice piece. Square it up on the shear. Mark up the holes with a square and vernier. Drill the plate. Lightly countersink the holes… both sides. Bla bla bla. Boring mickey-mouse job.

I give him the part and tell him he owns me $100. He just LAUGHS at me. He pulls out this wad of cash (must have been $5k) and gives me $10, and tells me in Italian, “here you go kid. Go buy yourself an ice cream…”

Motherf$@*+%.

I take the $10 bill and throw it at him. I take the plate and throw it in the middle of the street and I told him, “You piece of poop. You want the plate? Go fetch it in the street like the dog you are!”

“DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???” He yells at me. This is a typical thing Italians say… Italians who are mobbed up. But those who are mobbed up, do NOT advertise it. A lion doesn’t have to tell anyone that he’s a lion.

“Yep. You’re a dog. Get the fk outta my shop!”

The guy went to the street to get the plate. Like a dog.

Lesson learned? ALWAYS quote a price before starting a job. Sorry… didn’t mean to take over your post @kspitters.
Haha! That’s great, I don’t mind my thread being taken over, I got the answer I needed and actually asked for by @Camaroboy383 quick and the rest I love when it goes where it takes itself🤷‍♂️
I enjoy the people here, so I like the conversation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back