Granite BLX 3S - New Tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeBinSea

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Granite Grom
Few weeks back posted about the Granite Grom Santa got my little one for Xmas. Whelp, with a bit of "arm twisting" (aka suggestions from folks here), I went out and bought a full size Granite 3s BLX. All was going well, until tonight when one of the rear tires spun to bits. There were bits of broken glass in the area, so maybe that's part of it.

What's the thinking for replacements, more of the same? Local hobby shop has a pair of the same rim/tire combo as came on the car. Just about $32. Is that the best option? Are these going to keep blowing up every few runs? Is it usually a wheel/tire combo or do people buy tires and glue up your own?

The things definitely swell at speed. Didn't think they'd just shred like that though.

Few weeks back posted about the Granite Grom Santa got my little one for Xmas. Whelp, with a bit of "arm twisting" (aka suggestions from folks here), I went out and bought a full size Granite 3s BLX. All was going well, until tonight when one of the rear tires spun to bits. There were bits of broken glass in the area, so maybe that's part of it.

What's the thinking for replacements, more of the same? Local hobby shop has a pair of the same rim/tire combo as came on the car. Just about $32. Is that the best option? Are these going to keep blowing up every few runs? Is it usually a wheel/tire combo or do people buy tires and glue up your own?

The things definitely swell at speed. Didn't think they'd just shred like that though.
When you are on full throttle and lose traction, the open diffs will send all the power to the wheel with the least traction. This is called diffing out and can cause all the power to only go to the loose wheel which spins it at such a high rpm it can explode the tires. With practice, you'll learn to recognize this happening and let off the throttle in time to save the tire. You don't need to completely release throttle, but you need to let off it until you regain grip. You can usually hear when it happens because one of the tires will start to make a high pitched whine.

I used to blow a lot of granite tires, and now I almost never do unless they become unglued. On the other hand, I let a friend drive my Granite and Senton and he blew a tire on each one. You'll get better at stopping it before this happens. Alternatively, you can put higher weight diff fluid in but that will make the handling suffer and really only be a bandaid.

When you are on full throttle and lose traction, the open diffs will send all the power to the wheel with the least traction. This is called diffing out and can cause all the power to only go to the loose wheel which spins it at such a high rpm it can explode the tires. With practice, you'll learn to recognize this happening and let off the throttle in time to save the tire. You don't need to completely release throttle, but you need to let off it until you regain grip. You can usually hear when it happens because one of the tires will start to make a high pitched whine.

I used to blow a lot of granite tires, and now I almost never do unless they become unglued. On the other hand, I let a friend drive my Granite and Senton and he blew a tire on each one. You'll get better at stopping it before this happens. Alternatively, you can put higher weight diff fluid in but that will make the handling suffer and really only be a bandaid.
Ah got it. That makes a lot of sense. It was on dirt while making a slow, almost stopped, sharp turn, with rear inside tire really the only one spinning. The tire that blew was the only one with little to no ground contact. The rubber where the tire met the rim also didn't come unglued, the rubber was torn. Crazy how long that piece of tire stayed in the air. Must have gone 30-40 feet in the air. At first thought the whole tire came off. My first thought was that because I'd just hosed the wheels of to get some muck off the rims water was inside the wheel. Foam was bone dry inside though.

If I'm remembering right, when "diffing out," when the other wheels aren't spinning, that wheel that's getting all the power can spin twice as fast as in the input axle speed.

Good info too. Wondered if an upgraded tire made sense....feel better about buying a pair of the same tires when it's a case of operator error.

Ah got it. That makes a lot of sense. It was on dirt while making a slow, almost stopped, sharp turn, with rear inside tire really the only one spinning. The tire that blew was the only one with little to no ground contact. The rubber where the tire met the rim also didn't come unglued, the rubber was torn. Crazy how long that piece of tire stayed in the air. Must have gone 30-40 feet in the air. At first thought the whole tire came off. My first thought was that because I'd just hosed the wheels of to get some muck off the rims water was inside the wheel. Foam was bone dry inside though.

If I'm remembering right, when "diffing out," when the other wheels aren't spinning, that wheel that's getting all the power can spin twice as fast as in the input axle speed.

Good info too. Wondered if an upgraded tire made sense....feel better about buying a pair of the same tires when it's a case of operator error.
Belted tires won't balloon out as much, but they are significantly heavier which adds rotational mass and hurts the power system, and you lose mid air control from less ballooning. I'd stick with stock for a while until you're not consistently blowing tires before considering upgrades personally. JennysRC or ebay has take off Granite tires cheaper than hobby shop if they start adding up.

Thanks - I'll take all the added stability I can get. No belted for me at the moment.

I'd followed a link to Jenny's earlier today. No wheel sets currently available, but a lot of other good parts. I think I can be better about not blowing up in the future now that I know it's a risk and what I can do to mitigate.

Check these tires out!

SmartSelect_20240412_220853_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20240412_220833_Chrome.jpg

Yowsers, that video is all about Tires! Which shouldn't be surprising given the subject (upgraded tires!)

I'll keep those in mind when a new set is in order. For now though, I'll keep running the stockers until a blow up another one.

Back