WTB Have busted up, 25% complete rigs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadBlaster

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Nero
I'm goin to shamelessly as for donations to help me launch the perfect introduction to RC class for my local hackerspace. If it goes as planned, a new rc community/club (strong emphasis on kid/families that wouldn't have the initial funds to get a proper starter rig) will be created with the focus on understanding your rig, it's strengths and weaknesses, and customization possibilities.

I have a couple old Trooper 4x4s I could probably get back to moving, along with a couple remotes. But that's it for me.

My goal is to have each student go home from the first class with a hobby grade RC, but it's also just as important to keep the cost of the class under $50, if not $30.

I would definitely enjoy talking up any donations and sound like a boxing ref announcing the "sponsors" for each rig. poop, idk exact details, but donating to a non profit, we will supply you with something favorable for you during tax time.

Seeing the different personalities in the variety of different rigs, the comparison in capabilities. The opportunity to see what chassis fits their natural style. All of that amazing first time exposure opportunities could really only be accomplished by some generous fellow bashers clearing out their undesirables lol. I'll make the promise that if I can get 10 repairable donations, I'll donate my YetiXL.

Idk guy, I know I'm asking a lot, but how much more value and impact it would create for first timers using pre loved rigs over RTR is enough to get me on my knees and beg for consideration and ask for a level of selflessness that shouldn't honestly be asked for or expected by any means.

This hobby has done so much for my son and myself relationship. It started when he was 6, he's almost 16 now. It helped me cope with being a weekend father. Im only trying to explain why this is so important to me.

Again, I'm sorry for begging. If I had the money personally to buy 10 different hobby rigs, there would be no second thought. Reality is just what it is.

I could off a custom machined piece for your rc as a trade... Just an idea

Have you thought about reaching out to Tamiya or something? They have some cheaper kits and lots of educational type stuff. Maybe they have a group buy discount for classes.

I'll check out all avenues, but if the cars already beat to piss, the kids might open up more with them. Idk

My thoughts: If you had 20 people donate 20 rigs that were 25% or more complete, you’d still end up with multiple platforms and the need to order a whole lot of parts to get them rolling. Would probably cost more than just buying each kid a cheap rig. Have you considered sticking to one platform so you could also get parts donations to defray the cost of the rebuilds and exploit parts interchangeability?
I would recommend Traxxas Slash/Rustler platform because they’re cheap, parts are everywhere and also cheap, and they’re relatively easy to work on. Probably the perfect beginner trucks.
If you want to go Arrma, parts interchangeability is fantastic throughout the whole 6s line, but the price just went up a bit.
What about LiPo‘s and chargers? Tools? This is a pretty big ask for a $50.00 class.
Just my $0.02

If I was attempting to run this class say in a public library I completely understand your view.

This class and hopefully club/community Will be based out of a hacker space. Using gray matter, elbow grease and machines in the shop,(not counting my actual machine shop potential mind you) to over come whatever hurdles presented.

This class will be very wrench oriented. Find pleasure in making the rig their own with, with learned skills, not the credit card.

I know this isn't "normal". I feel it's one hell of a way to introduce newcomers to the hobby that won't be afraid to wrench.

Let me sweat the details.

Again, I can give people a donation record for tax reasons

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back