Outcast HR pillow ball kit. Does it tighten it up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adawg

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
So the 4s outcast and kratons have a lot of movement in the steering linkages and tie rod ends. When you move it back and forth you can see A lot of it comes from the pillow balls moving inside of the tie rod ends.

Does the hr kit actually have slightly bigger balls and does it help tighten it up or is it just more durable. I’ve searched and there is videos of the installation etc but I don’t see anyone compare them to each other as far as whether they have tighter clearances inside the rod ends. Thanks

EDIT. SEE END FOR INSTALLATION RESULTS.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. So are you happy you bought them?

I have heard people saying that they believe it will wear out the rod ends faster. Will it really do that though? I’m sure they still have play so it’s not like they are so tight they have to wear them in so they move easily. Also are they smoother then the plastic ones? That might make them wear out less quickly. Just thinking out loud. I’m not sure you can prove it either way. It’s something to think about though.

Ok thanks. So are you happy you bought them?

I have heard people saying that they believe it will wear out the rod ends faster. Will it really do that though? I’m sure they still have play so it’s not like they are so tight they have to wear them in so they move easily. Also are they smoother then the plastic ones? That might make them wear out less quickly. Just thinking out loud. I’m not sure you can prove it either way. It’s something to think about though.

I’ve had mine in 3, 3S vehicles and a 4S and haven’t had any issues. A few sets have been in for over a year. Get the bellcrank too.

Last edited:
I installed a set yesterday in my Granite and was very happy with how much it improved the connections. Not too worried about wear at the rod ends as there should be less possibility of debris getting in and causing wear with the tighter fit.

I ordered a set so I’ll report back with what I think. Thanks for the opinions

So for anyone thinking about these I installed them and I’m very happy with them. For the from end I installed bearing in the steering bell crank and that took care of 30-40% of the slop. Then I installed these pillow balls and they took care of another 30-40%. The front end is much much better. The remaining slop is coming from the front c hubs and axle carriers. Not sure if updating both those makes a difference one a truck like this. I wish you could buy this kit without the shock balls for like 10$ because I don’t see the absolute need for the shock pillow balls.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back