Vorteks Input gear stripped - rear diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortekyteky

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Hi all

So I was running my vorteks on pavement, somehow managed to strip the rear input gear.

I would like to know how to prevent this from happening, I heard metal yokes are much better but they are soo expensive. I have had around 90 5000mah packs before it stripped. Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just buy another set of input gears from jenny's? Are the metal diffs / input gears worth it?

Would like to go cheap, unless it really is worth it for upgrades.

Agreed ☝️.. break the 90 packs down to minutes of use.. you got all the life out of it.. teeth turned into razor blades and then gave up the ghost..

Always replace gears as a set, or you will most likely end up in the same situation within just a few packs..👍

Hi all

So I was running my vorteks on pavement, somehow managed to strip the rear input gear.

I would like to know how to prevent this from happening, I heard metal yokes are much better but they are soo expensive. I have had around 90 5000mah packs before it stripped. Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just buy another set of input gears from jenny's? Are the metal diffs / input gears worth it?

Agreed. I just did what you did. I am going to go that route. Metal input but no metal crown gear can kill the diff.

Hi all

Seriously now, 90 packs in???? No way. I call BS. How are you counting anyway?
Sorry.
That's like 22.5 hours of run time conservatively. :rolleyes: No RC can last 1/2 that long without a drivetrain breakage.

Seriously now, 90 packs in???? No way. I call BS. How are you counting anyway?
Sorry.
That's like 22.5 hours of run time conservatively. :rolleyes: No RC can last 1/2 that long without a drivetrain breakage.
yeah haha. I drive HARD to. looking to go to 4s system. 55mph on stock gearing is just too slow and boring for me.

My charger counts the number of charges it has done, bought it when I got the truck and have not used it to charge batteries other than the ones that go in the vorteks

Maybe something about the air in New Zealand there....:giggle:
That's not even a Fluke. Can't be that much use on the OE drivetrain before your failure.
Have you ever serviced the Diffs at all prior????
Dam you got your moneys' worth if thats true. And you REALLY bash Hard???
Wow, you are doing something right..... Fill us in.
That is phenomenal lifespan for 4x4 diffs.

Last edited:
Pass on the 4s 4x4's. Get something different now, that is even faster.
You are ready to move up to a 6s platform.

Maybe something about the air in New Zealand there....:giggle:
That's not even a Fluke. Can't be that much use on the OE drivetrain before your failure.
Have you ever serviced the Diffs at all prior????
Dam you got your moneys' worth if thats true. And you REALLY bash Hard???
Wow, you are doing something right..... Fill us in.
That is pehnomenal lifespan for 4x4 diffs.
haha, I tried to service the diffs but for some reason the screw that holds the driveshafts onto each side of the diff won't fully come out even though I have fully loosened them. very annoying.

to be fair, I do mostly run on pavement, gravel and smooth dirt. hardly done many jumps. I just use it as a speed basher, going as fast as I can 100% of the time.
Only things I broke is the centre driveshaft, rock ate that up, a steering block, and the servo died the run the diff died.

Widened it with big rock arms which helped it from flipping a lot. otherwise stock apart from shoe goo and drywall tape body.

Stock tires, which have been completely toast for a very long time now.
Pass on the 4s 4x4's. Get something different now, that is even faster.
You are ready to move up to a 6s platform.
thing is, its just too expensive for me. Especially in New Zealand. I would love to have a talion, I think that is the level above the vorteks.

Funning thing is, over here, the vorteks is the cheapest of the 3s range, 450usd (729NZD) . The rest of the 3s range is 500usd (800NZD)
For the 4s range, they start at 650usd (1050NZD)
For the 6s range, the infraction/felony is 833USD (1350NZD) and the talion EXB 6s is 930USD (1500NZD)
8s kraton costs 1200USD (1950NZD)

Don't get me started on the cost of parts, batteries and chargers. OR TRAXXAS MODELS.

Rustler VXL 2WD cost more than my vorteks, at 900NZD (555USD). Nope no chargers or battery included, just the truck.
Traxxas XRT would set me back 2700NZD (1666USD)

Very unfair. I just order all my parts of jenny's, WAY cheaper, even with shipping.

I wish Arrma and Traxxas would go out of NA more. We get no warranties or anything here.

Last edited:
I can see by the way you drive, yeah a Tally would suit your driving style.
That sucks. So expensive for you there. I do see that HH USA treats those in the US and CA with a better warranty service. HH watered it down substiantially for those in the EU and elsewhere in your region. Basically a non existent Warranty. Not fair at all. Not sure why HH does this. :unsure:

I can see by the way you drive, yeah a Tally would suit your driving style.
That sucks. So expensive for you there. I do see that HH USA treats those in the US and CA with a better warranty service. HH watered it down substiantially for those in the EU and elsewhere in your region. Basically a non existent Warranty. Not fair at all. Not sure why HH does this. :unsure:
Yep, it sucks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back