Limitless Limitless full throttle stutter/jerking/cutoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's apples to oranges when you're running a Poseidon 2200kv motor
I agree. I'll throw in the stock BLX motor and see if it happens to ME... however, it is also happening to my father with BLX 185 and BLX motor. That should be apples to apples... He sent in the ESC to Horizon and they say it checks out fine however they were able to reproduce the same symptoms with in a Limitless and they wanted him to change the gearing... Given that others can successfully run it I don't think that is a good answer right now.

However, you are right, I should retest with the stock BLX motor.

I agree. I'll throw in the stock BLX motor and see if it happens to ME... however, it is also happening to my father with BLX 185 and BLX motor. That should be apples to apples... He sent in the ESC to Horizon and they say it checks out fine however they were able to reproduce the same symptoms with in a Limitless and they wanted him to change the gearing... Given that others can successfully run it I don't think that is a good answer right now.

However, you are right, I should retest with the stock BLX motor.
Another option would be to upgrade the ESC with one that will handle the load/amperage needed to achieve 100+mph.
The BLX system is being pushed beyond its intended load perimeters trying to reach those speeds with the 27t/34t setup. You can try to mitigate the cutout running the current configuration by applying throttle slowly but that's just putting a bandaid on the problem and substantially increases the distance needed to reach top speed.
Right now with the 2200kv motor and 27/34 setup you're geared for a theoretical 125mph whereas the BLX 2050kv you're geared for 117mph running the same 27/34 gearing.
Dropping 2-3 teeth on the pinion should reduce load on both setups enough to see an improvement in power delivery as an easy/inexpensive option

Another option would be to upgrade the ESC with one that will handle the load/amperage needed to achieve 100+mph.
The BLX system is being pushed beyond its intended load perimeters trying to reach those speeds with the 27t/34t setup. You can try to mitigate the cutout running the current configuration by applying throttle slowly but that's just putting a bandaid on the problem and substantially increases the distance needed to reach top speed.
Right now with the 2200kv motor and 27/34 setup you're geared for a theoretical 125mph whereas the BLX 2050kv you're geared for 117mph running the same 27/34 gearing.
Dropping 2-3 teeth on the pinion should reduce load on both setups enough to see an improvement in power delivery as an easy/inexpensive option
Yeah... I think that’s about all I can do.

What do you think about the MAX6 ESC with the 2200kv motor? Think it can handle? I’ll know it says 6S <= 1500KV but that’s with a 5892 size motor... I think the Poseidon should be ok... right?

Yeah... I think that’s about all I can do.

What do you think about the MAX6 ESC with the 2200kv motor? Think it can handle? I’ll know it says 6S <= 1500KV but that’s with a 5892 size motor... I think the Poseidon should be ok... right?
I'm a big fan of HW as I run Max6 in my bashing rigs now but imo the MM2 or xlx is a better choice for speed runs because of the higher load they'll take before cutting power. They also have the ability to record data as an additional benefit. I've seen speedrun guys running into issues with Max6 and max5 being more sensitive to load compared to the castle ESCs. If space is an issue I'd go with the MM2 if not I'd run an XLX ESC

I'm a big fan of HW as I run Max6 in my bashing rigs now but imo the MM2 or xlx is a better choice for speed runs because of the higher load they'll take before cutting power. They also have the ability to record data as an additional benefit. I've seen speedrun guys running into issues with Max6 and max5 being more sensitive to load compared to the castle ESCs. If space is an issue I'd go with the MM2 if not I'd run an XLX ESC
I was trying to keep things nice and tidy so yeah, I was hoping a max6 would do the job. I like the idea of having batteries on both sides to keep the balance. I'm not trying to set records but I'd like to kiss 120 if possible... I'm just wondering if the max6 can get me there... If I go with the XLX, then I'll just rearrange the the setup inside and go with a bigger can while I'm at it.

I was trying to keep things nice and tidy so yeah, I was hoping a max6 would do the job. I like the idea of having batteries on both sides to keep the balance. I'm not trying to set records but I'd like to kiss 120 if possible... I'm just wondering if the max6 can get me there... If I go with the XLX, then I'll just rearrange the the setup inside and go with a bigger can while I'm at it.
If your running the 1515 posiedon 2200, then a mm2 would be great and easily get you over 100mph. I ran 116 on a mm2/2200 combo on my first pass with a limitless geared 30/34.

If your running the 1515 posiedon 2200, then a mm2 would be great and easily get you over 100mph. I ran 116 on a mm2/2200 combo on my first pass with a limitless geared 30/34.

good to know! My LHS seems to only sell HW stuff and I’m so impatient when it comes to shipping and waiting. However, if you think it’s worth it, I’ll order one today!

ps! Big fan of your speed run videos!!!

I ran into the same problem with mine with the hobbywing setup in it the car is too heavy I put sticky or tires on it and the stock gear, it's geared too high it's the ESC in the motor going into thermal shutdown. I was so upset at it I ended up selling the car

I ran into the same problem with mine with the hobbywing setup in it the car is too heavy I put sticky or tires on it and the stock gear, it's geared too high it's the ESC in the motor going into thermal shutdown. I was so upset at it I ended up selling the car
That sucks... I probably would have just sold the esc and used the money towards a better one... but w/e... sorry to hear that.

I myself got a max 6 and waiting on a ripple killer... Then I'm going to try again.

That sucks... I probably would have just sold the esc and used the money towards a better one... but w/e... sorry to hear that.

I myself got a max 6 and waiting on a ripple killer... Then I'm going to try again.
I fully agree that Castle ESCs are best for speedruns, but you likely can break 100 with the HW esc.
I can't tell if this guy is using the Max5 or Max6, but is a solid example of HW esc in a speedrun.

The Max 6 will cut power too. Mamba XLX is the only wat to go, in my opinion. :)
I agree the castle xlx is the way to go for big power and unlimited setups, but the hobbywing max 5 & 6 can be setup for big power if you set the lipo to auto detect and disable the lvc voltage setting. Once you do those 2 things the the HW will produce tons of power as long as your battery has a high burst rate. I also use a small voltage meter to monitor the voltage across each cell since I disabled the lvc voltage. Try these settings and you won't experience those full throttle cut off.

I agree the castle xlx is the way to go for big power and unlimited setups, but the hobbywing max 5 & 6 can be setup for big power if you set the lipo to auto detect and disable the lvc voltage setting. Once you do those 2 things the the HW will produce tons of power as long as your battery has a high burst rate. I also use a small voltage meter to monitor the voltage across each cell since I disabled the lvc voltage. Try these settings and you won't experience those full throttle cut off.
That’s exactly what I have my MAX6 programmed to do. I’m just waiting to get my cap pack in today and then I need to let my high speed run spot dry up a bit. Maybe Saturday I’ll give it a test and see what happens. I have a 30T pinion standing by ;)

When I first got my Limitless I threw in a stock Arrma blx185 and the 2050 motor from my v4 Typhon, using stock 27/34 gearing, and running on 6s I got a best of 89mph, and I am pretty sure I could get that up to around 92 or 93 if i did it now.. The first run I put too much load on the BlX by going hard from the start with an aggressive trigger pull, and it cut out pretty quick.. Second time I opened the throttle less aggressively up till around 50 mph, then smoothly got on it and It sprinted to 89mph with no cutting and more left.. I wasn't on a road I knew well so I cut the power too early, With a few more runs there it would have seen at least 5mph more. Point is, with good batteries i think the Arrma motor and ESC can get this thing up to a good speed, depending on how you accelerate

Or the MM2 Retro if space is a premium.
At that point just buy an old used mamba monster 1 off of eBay. Same thing- just not waterproof. For those smarties, you can always bypass the amperage limitations on a normal mm2 if you’re good with computers! It’s really unnecessary though... they’re already brutal out the box. Good luck op.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back